• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

DDG-1000

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I imagine the head of the program would say something like that, the question is whether the senior leadership and appropriators will. Rear Admiral Black is on the show floor, but hasn't said much about DDG-1000.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
A VPM insert would appear to be quite an extensive surgery and will probably require a good part of half a decade to fund, develop, integrate and test assuming that it can accommodate the missile (and that many). Why not consider something more optimized like an OpsFire derivative? I'd much rather they take less risk with ship modifications and more with optimizing missile systems currently being worked upon elsewhere. Would seem like a faster way to get this capability. Regardless, at least one vessel in the class needs to deploy in the next couple of years. Until that happens, I seriously doubt the Congress would be willing to invest even 1 cent into a yet another modification to its role and capability no matter how much sense it may make.

Last edited:

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A VPM insert would appear to be quite an extensive surgery and will probably require a good part of half a decade to fund, develop, integrate and test assuming that it can accommodate the missile (and that many). Why not consider something more optimized like an OpsFire derivative? I'd much rather they take less risk with ship modifications and more with optimizing missile systems currently being worked upon elsewhere. Would seem like a faster way to get this capability. Regardless, at least one vessel in the class needs to deploy in the next couple of years. Until that happens, I seriously doubt the Congress would be willing to invest even 1 cent into a yet another modification to its role and capability no matter how much sense it may make.
Turn a retired LHA into an arsenal ship less risk than using Zumwalt IMHO

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I think they probably also want to make it more useful. The guns don't appear to be going anywhere and these are very expensive ships. With the change of role, the Navy probably wants to find some sort of mission for them. Proceedings has a really good podcast with the CO of DDG-1000. Second half is focused on the vessel, the program, how it handles, and what lies ahead. Good stuff.

Moose

Reaction score
For a former DDG skipper, Sally's plan here seems a bit off. Replacing AGS with new VLS is credible enough, but the details are wrong. Surface launch cells have more than a few differences to missile tubes on subs, the extra time, money and effort re-engineering the Virginia class' tube probably makes the overall cost similar to that of scaling up an existing surface VLS or even a fresh start designed for LRHW-size weapons. Then again, he's talking about TLAM-sized missiles so why not just use Mk 41 cells, or Mk 57, which the ship already uses, in a dense pack?

Also, the Virginia Payload Tube (VPT) is the Trident-diameter tube in the bows of the 774s since Block III. VPM is the insert behind the sail on a Virginia Block V that carrys 4 additional VPTs. He's talking VPTs, not VPMs.

Last edited:

Moose

Reaction score
The retired LHAs are steam-powered and manpower-intensive, running costs would be...problematic for an arsenal ship. If your notion just just "big, slow, small crew with lots of cells," we could build a T-AO CHAMP, or ESD with a shipload of VLS .

Moose

Reaction score
Zumwalt skipper Capt. Andrew Carlson tells DefenseNews that the DDG-1000 has experienced Sea State 6 in a storm off the coast of Alaska and, while more "stiff" than traditional hulls, is quite stable and comfortable.
"We took advantage of a storm up near Alaska that presented us with Sea State Six conditions,” said Carlson, referring to sea’s waves between 13 and 20 feet high. “All told I’d rather be on that ship than any other ship I’ve been on.”
“You definitely have to get used to the roll, which is very short compared to other ships,” Carlson said. “For those of us who have been on cruisers, especially up top, you kind of lean over 15 degrees and you wonder if you are going to come back. We didn’t experience any of that. As long as you get used to the finer oscillation, it really handles very well."
This will not, of course, convince the Salamanders of the world that she's not going to capsize the first time Neptune throws something wild her way. But it's a good reminder that the people who designed and built her weren't the drooling idiots they are sometimes made out to be.

Last edited: