hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

We know very well CW company, which developed the Cygnet light
aircraft,the company also designed the Swan,it was six/eight seat
low wing passenger monoplane,of a sleek appearance with fins and
rudders,powered by two 200 hp De Havilland Gipsy Six I engine or
450 hp Pratt & Whitney wasp Junior radials,project only.

hesham said:
We know very well CW company

During my training as a teacher, I was once advised to never consider something as self-evident. I have noticed you often start your threads by such phrases as "we know very well", but isn't it better to consider there might be some on the forum who don't, and who would be glad to? But if you say "we all know" they may feel like idiots and so they don't dare to ask!

This time around I will take the risk of sounding like a complete ignorant: I DON'T know the C.W. company at all! To me, these initials are short for Curtiss-Wright, which this aircraft obviously isn't. So please tell me more if you will, hesham... ;)

By the way, said article has an extra portion:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1937/1937%20-%202959.html

Thank you my dears Bailey and Stargazer,

and here is the CW Swan from the same page of dear Bailey.

Attachments

• Swan  1.JPG
    Swan 1.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 91
  • Swan  2.JPG
    Swan 2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Swan  3.JPG
    Swan 3.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 89
C.W Aircraft Limited was not a well known company, formed around 1935/36 at Slough, buckinghamshire, in England, by C.R.Chronander and J.L.Waddington, for the purpose of designing and building a 2 seat all metal light aircraft. The aircraft known as the C.W Cygnet, ( G-AEMA) first flew around May 1937 powered by a 90 h.p Cirrus Minor. Development work and flying continued up until March 1938, when as no orders had been forthcoming and large sums had been spent on the C.W Swan project, the company foundered. The Cygnet design was sold to General Aircraft Limited, who after modification built a batch of ten under the G.A.L.42 Cygnet II designation, and a futher one-off development known as the G.A.L 45 Owlet trainer.

Regards Bailey.

Another version of the Swan from "Flight" magazine. Twin-Cygnet would be a better name.

Attachments

• Swan.jpg
    Swan.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 107
tecnam said:
Another version of the Swan from "Flight" magazine. Twin-Cygnet would be a better name.

Nice find, certainly a different proposition to the later design. and would have possibly cost a lot less to develop. Engine choice is interesting.

From "British Piston Aero-Engines And Their Aircraft - Alec Lumsden"

Villiers 4-L-318 Maya I, 130h.p. (1936) 4-cylinder, inverted in-line air-cooled poppet-valve engine. It was unsupercharged and its propeller was direct, tractor-drive. It featured ' radial ' cylinder heads, with widely played valves for efficient cooling. As a result of carefully balanced design, the Maya was notable for its smooth running. The onset of war in 1939 prevented the production of a more powerful MkII version. Bore/Stroke 5.5:1, later raised to 6:1, when maximum power increased from 130 to 135 h.p. Direct R.H tractor-drive. Length 43.88 in, width 15.75 in, height 22.75 in. Flight tested in Miles M.11B Whitney Straight G-AERC.

Regards Bailey.