Curtiss XA-43

Re: Curtis XA-43

They fudged up their scale and depth in the artist's sketch (take a good look at the aircraft at the rear, the smoke it's flying through and the source of that smoke)

Whoa!
That artist belonged to the Surrealist school of corporate aircraft rendering.

Naw. The one in the foreground is the XA-43. The one in the background is the Mega-XA-43,000, designed to wipe out entire continents full of Godzillas in one sortie.

Hi,

the Curtiss XA-43 from the site;

http://forum.avionslegendaires.net/index.php

Attachments

• XA-43.jpg
    XA-43.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 558

XB-70 Guy said:
verner said:
This thing kinda looks like a F-87.
FYI: The XA-43 was redesignated XF-87.

Yes, but not quite. By redesignating them, the USAF also signified a slight change of mission. From mainly "attack", these aircraft became mainly "fighters": XA-42 became XB-42 (no big deal, it remained purely experimental, anyway); XA-43 became XP-87, XA-44 became XB-53 and the Martin XA-45 became XB-51. But you need to remember that on each occasion (except for the B-42) the design was also altered along the way.

A new one on me! -SP

Attachments

• XF-87 with wing tip fuel tanks.jpg
    XF-87 with wing tip fuel tanks.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 520

Stargazer2006 said:
XB-70 Guy said:
verner said:
This thing kinda looks like a F-87.
FYI: The XA-43 was redesignated XF-87.

Yes, but not quite. By redesignating them, the USAF also signified a slight change of mission. From mainly "attack", these aircraft became mainly "fighters": XA-42 became XB-42 (no big deal, it remained purely experimental, anyway); XA-43 became XP-87, XA-44 became XB-53 and the Martin XA-45 became XB-51. But you need to remember that on each occasion (except for the B-42) the design was also altered along the way.
Yes, I have the XA-43 as CW-29, the XP/XF-87 as CW-29A. -SP

From Inter Avia magazine,

the Model of Curtiss-Wright XA-43.

Attachments

• XA-43 Model.JPG
    XA-43 Model.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 379
If I recall it was to be powered by 4 x J35's (could be wrong): Does anybody know the projected payload?

Hi! I want to know the engine for XA-43.

Attachments

• XA-43.jpg
    XA-43.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 155
  • XA-43 three side view drawings.jpg
    XA-43 three side view drawings.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 179
From "American Bomber Aircraft Development in WW2" by Bill Norton.
I've attached a photo of the XA-43 mockup & a specification for 'the most mature XA-43 design'. Apparently 'Curtiss investigated alternative powerplants, to include Westinghouse 24-C (later J34), but the J35 was ultimately retained'. So the powerplants were 'two embedded dual-engine pods with two J35s each'.

Attachments

• IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 187
@Orionblamblam

I'm just interested to know if your information on the XA-43 corroborates the 8000 lb. bomb-load cited in "American Bomber Aircraft Development in WW2" by Bill Norton (cited by woodville) in the post above mine?