Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
And how much of that promised funding will actually eventuate, or else not ending up being diverted to bread and circuses, sorry, more 'urgent' social policies?

bobbymike

Reaction score
As an Investment Banker I see SEC and thought now the Securities and Exchange Commission is involved in hypersonics :D

Last edited:

dannydale

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
As an Investment Banker I see SEC and thought now the Securities and Exchange Commission is involved in hypersonics :D
And I was hoping Coach Orgeron had another amazing QB with a railgun arm for the Southeastern Conference. Geaux Tigahz!:D

bobbymike

Reaction score

seruriermarshal

Reaction score

seruriermarshal

Reaction score
Despite test failure, Air Force says ARRW on track to begin production in FY-22

The Air Force's flagship hypersonic boost-glide weapon is on track to start production in fiscal year 2022 as originally planned despite failing to launch during a flight demonstration earlier this month

In_A_Dream

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

seruriermarshal

Reaction score
Now just need a working missile
It's strange , seems like they had tested a working missile . maybe a prototype in black world ?
Anything is possible :)
I just remember :

"I've had a few congressmen ask me [about it]," Ray said during the Mitchell podcast, posted April 1. "And you know what? Honestly, I think it's stupid.

"I just think it's a stupid idea to go and invest that kind of money that recreates something that the [Air Force] has mastered and that we're doing already right now," he said, referring to the U.S. bomber arsenal. "Why in the world would you try that? I try to make sure that my language isn't a little more colorful than it is, but give me a break. … I kind of get it in Europe, but I completely don't get it in the Pacific."

bobbymike

Reaction score
From Inside Defense pay site

Navy to rip out DDG-1000 Advanced Gun System mounts to make room for hypersonic weapons

The Navy plans to rip out the DDG-1000's Advanced Gun System mounts -- the original focus of the Zumwalt-class destroyer's offensive firepower -- to make room for a new vertical launch system that will fire Conventional Prompt Strike missiles, as part of a new goal that scraps five years of planning to field long-range hypersonic weapons on Ohio-class submarines
———-
Can’t we also put them on Ohio’s.....please?

Ronny

Reaction score

Navy to rip out DDG-1000 Advanced Gun System mounts to make room for hypersonic weapons

The Navy plans to rip out the DDG-1000's Advanced Gun System mounts -- the original focus of the Zumwalt-class destroyer's offensive firepower -- to make room for a new vertical launch system that will fire Conventional Prompt Strike missiles, as part of a new goal that scraps five years of planning to field long-range hypersonic weapons on Ohio-class submarines
———-
Given that even something like ARRW cost like 30 millions a piece, would it not make more sense to integrate hypersonic cruise missile instead ?

seruriermarshal

Reaction score

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

———-
Given that even something like ARRW cost like 30 millions a piece, would it not make more sense to integrate hypersonic cruise missile instead ?

What's the source of the 30 Million estimate? What production rates and objective inventories are we talking about that get the APUC to $30 MM?

aonestudio

Reaction score

bring_it_on

Reaction score
This is the Low Rate cost of a very small batch. Hard to see them not getting it to single digit millions per round at something resembling highish rate of production.

View: https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1398231045141639169
It'll still be considered expensive at even half that cost.
I don’t think so. It’s not a JASSM analogous. Neither one for the SiAW. In the broader scheme of air launched weapons it along with a possible conventional variant of the LRSO are going to be the two most expensive weapons which will be designed to tackle some of the toughest targets from stand off distance. Defeating those targets with cheaper weapons would possible entail risk and huge costs, not to mention that even if we could do it, the time critical aspect is the ARRW still won’t be replicated given the AF will have an all subsonic bomber fleet. ARRW is the most easily deployable hypersonic weapon we have given how rapidly bombers could deploy.

Bhurki

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I can’t tell if that’s good or bad news?
Probably trying to get a foot in the door and ensure production funding before the other services propose something 'better' and the whole thing gets stuck in the rdte track.

bobbymike

Reaction score
Inside defense pay site

Biden administration endorses hypersonic weapon technology projects, proposes accelerated plan in FY-22 to buy, field

The Biden administration is proposing a fiscal year 2022 budget that would accelerate hypersonic weapon technology projects, endorsing a plan crafted during the Trump administration that includes establishing two new-start hypersonic cruise missile programs -- one in the Air Force, one in the Navy -- to complement current Pentagon boost-glide vehicle projects in an effort to field an entire family of ultra-fast, maneuvering strike and counter-strike capabilities this decade

Ronny

Reaction score
Inside defense pay site

Biden administration endorses hypersonic weapon technology projects, proposes accelerated plan in FY-22 to buy, field

The Biden administration is proposing a fiscal year 2022 budget that would accelerate hypersonic weapon technology projects, endorsing a plan crafted during the Trump administration that includes establishing two new-start hypersonic cruise missile programs -- one in the Air Force, one in the Navy -- to complement current Pentagon boost-glide vehicle projects in an effort to field an entire family of ultra-fast, maneuvering strike and counter-strike capabilities this decade
I would assume one of them is HACM and the other is OASuW-II ?

bobbymike

Reaction score

bobbymike

Reaction score

Navy plans to pack each DDG-1000 with 12 long-range hypersonic strike missiles

The Navy is planning to outfit each of its three DDG-1000 destroyers with a dozen long-range hypersonic strike missiles, eyeing a new cold-launch system for the Zumwalt-class ship as part of a new plan to arm by 2025 a surface ship rather than a nuclear-powered guided missile submarine with the Conventional Prompt Strike weapon
——————-
Hoping for 120 each ;)

Moose

Reaction score

Navy plans to pack each DDG-1000 with 12 long-range hypersonic strike missiles

The Navy is planning to outfit each of its three DDG-1000 destroyers with a dozen long-range hypersonic strike missiles, eyeing a new cold-launch system for the Zumwalt-class ship as part of a new plan to arm by 2025 a surface ship rather than a nuclear-powered guided missile submarine with the Conventional Prompt Strike weapon
——————-
Hoping for 120 each ;)
If it's 12 and they're still looking at a Payload Tube spinoff, that means 4 tubes and (probably) no more guns forward. Questionable if HVP is part of the Navy's strategy....but on the other hand they seem to be killing that round so....