Convair XF2Y-1 Seadart

I still not 100% on what I am being pointed to? Are these doc's in a US national archive?

Sorry not in the US and not sure of the procedure to find this material.

Regards,

Carrier capable version of the F2Y. This adaptation is a total revelation to me and I thought I knew something about Convair designs. Twin J-46-WEs and either 4 20mm cannon or 56 FFARs. The date looks like January, 1953, four months after the navy ordered 12 production aircraft.
I checked through the search function and didn't see this version mentioned anywhere; of course, I've been accused of not being able to find my, um, yeah, with both hands. If this design is already on this site, I apologize.

Attachments

• Carrier Capable Convair F2Y.jpg
    Carrier Capable Convair F2Y.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 291
I contacted the San Diego Air & Space Museum and they replied with a considerable list of drawings and PDF's that they can supply.

Approximately 40 files at $15 a pop, will have a think about it.

Regards,

Carrier capable version of the F2Y. This adaptation is a total revelation to me and I thought I knew something about Convair designs. Twin J-46-WEs and either 4 20mm cannon or 56 FFARs. The date looks like January, 1953, four months after the navy ordered 12 production aircraft.
I checked through the search function and didn't see this version mentioned anywhere; of course, I've been accused of not being able to find my, um, yeah, with both hands. If this design is already on this site, I apologize.
Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. You've already tried your best!

Last edited:
Here is the general arrangement drawing for the Seaplane, Configuration II, with two J-79 engines.

Attachments

• xSD-53-01052-General-Arrangement-F2Y-single-Engine-Airplane-Two-J-79-Engines.jpg
    xSD-53-01052-General-Arrangement-F2Y-single-Engine-Airplane-Two-J-79-Engines.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 183
Here are a few pages that give a little more insight into the Configurations.

Attachments

• Config III-2.jpg
    Config III-2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Config III-1.jpg
    Config III-1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Config II-2.jpg
    Config II-2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Config II-1.jpg
    Config II-1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 148

Attachments

• gettyimages-517446214-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-517446214-612x612.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 145
Must have been interesting flying that plane with the engine thrust centerline appearing to be above the aircraft's CG.

And it looks like the Seadart was designed before the Area Rule, so could potentially have gotten a bit faster with some resculpting like they did with the F-102.

Trying to upload some images and keep getting error codes?

"Oops! We ran into some problems"

Regards,

Trying to upload some images and keep getting error codes?

"Oops! We ran into some problems"

Regards,
Happened to me too, and that's because you need to put some text in your comment, however short, not just images.
A single point "." will do!

Re: Original Convair F2Y Sea Dart Documents

I've run a few crowdfunded ebay efforts. This sure as hell looks like a dandy candidate. If nobody else here is already bidding, I'll do so and attempt to score this, as it needs to be secured and scanned.

EDIT:
Oh, what the heck, I'm'a going for it. As with some prior crowdfunding of ebay items, what I'm doing is offering a complete set of 300DPI scans (color where relevant) of the set to "contributors." This means anyone who signs on in advance promising to pay a straight fraction of the total. If ten people sign on and it goes for $500, that's $500/11 (10 people plus me) or $45.45 each. Which really ain't too bad for a haul like this. I'm also soliciting contributors to the effort over at my APR Patreon, so hopefully I can get a bunch of people interested. So... who's interested?

PS: As for the original items, I'm thinking that if I get this and make and distribute the scans, the best thing for the originals is to donate them to the San Diego Air & Space Museum... which is about the best place I can think of for 'em. But scans first...
Hello,
I saw this entry from some time ago about copies of Seadart material. I have sold Original Convair Seadart folders, one or two. I am selling on eBay original Convair folders and if you would like to see what is available, my eBay name is planejunk. I have a lot of original folders on the XFY-1 Pogo (have sold several) and the Skate and a couple of original drawings of SST’s too that I have not listed yet.
In my store at the bottom of the store category list is one for F CONVAIR ITEMS.
My email address is Removed {Edited to remove email address from public view]
I could send you photo copies of anything you could use for other members Free of course.
email me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to upload images, told the file size is too big?

Not sure how to do this.

Regards,
Make smaller versions of the images. (Don't lose the originals!)
or,
Put the images on Flickr or something similar and link them here as Media.