Convair SuperHustler

Oh, damn, where's my telezoom lenzes?

I think you are not fully right. Super Hustler on your drawing is from first generation near to Fish. When we imagine development chain from Fish to Kingfish then somewhere was breakpoint when parasite Fish's conception was released and work on predecessors of Kingfish started. Certainly these first designs after that breakpoint were similar to projects before this breakpoint. Your design was planned as parasite plane, in my sources I have four variants of Super Hustler with different wings (variable wing, too) but with standart undercarriage, fuel tanks etc. as standart plane.
Two years I collect sources on parasite plane Fish but I have still some important questions. As carrier was planned B-58A or B-58C? I have only poore sources on B-58C... Next problem taxiing and start of carrier. Fish was too large and blocked space for a front leg of B-58 undercarriage. Were front wheels of Fish used instead of front B-58's leg? If you have more infos on this projects you could help me fix some errors on start of this work

PlanesPictures said:
Your design was planned as parasite plane, in my sources I have four variants of Super Hustler with different wings (variable wing, too) but with standart undercarriage, fuel tanks etc. as standart plane.

Ah. Those are the SDR-17 TAC bomber studies.

Fish was too large and blocked space for a front leg of B-58 undercarriage. Were front wheels of Fish used instead of front B-58's leg?

The nose of Fish, as with Super Hustler, folded back out of the way of the B-58 landing gear. A clumsy solution, and one which would have produced a lot of drag when the nose folded forward after landing gear retraction.

Attachments

• fishnose1.jpg
    fishnose1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 650
My source http://www.testpilot.ru/usa/convair/b/58/super/super.htm

More info on SDR-17?

What is then on this picture? Super Hustler or SDR-17 TAC bomber studie?

Attachments

• shustler_d_01.jpg
    shustler_d_01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 627
PlanesPictures said:
What is then on this picture? Super Hustler or SDR-17 TAC bomber studie?

That's a Super-Hustler-derived bomber. However, it's SH "derived" only in that it shares basic configuration. Its performance was more like that of the F-111 than the Super Hustler. Mach 2.5, tops. Two JT8 turbojets, not ramjets.

This is *right* in Josef case Super Hustler reference - original Convair desktop model photos from Warplanes of the Future by Mike Ryan and David Oliver

Attachments

• shustler_desktopmodel.jpg
    shustler_desktopmodel.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 857
Orionblamblam said:
PlanesPictures said:
Your design was planned as parasite plane, in my sources I have four variants of Super Hustler with different wings (variable wing, too) but with standart undercarriage, fuel tanks etc. as standart plane.

Ah. Those are the SDR-17 TAC bomber studies.

Fish was too large and blocked space for a front leg of B-58 undercarriage. Were front wheels of Fish used instead of front B-58's leg?

The nose of Fish, as with Super Hustler, folded back out of the way of the B-58 landing gear. A clumsy solution, and one which would have produced a lot of drag when the nose folded forward after landing gear retraction.

Did you see the B-58B design in Miller with the extended nose section that added more room?

Larry

I will be really thankful when you show me differences between B-58A and B-58B. I supposed B had only other engines. Thanks forward

PlanesPictures said:
I will be really thankful when you show me differences between B-58A and B-58B. I supposed B had only other engines. Thanks forward

The image I was talking about to Scott is in the latest (I think it's the
latest edition) Miller B-58 book. It is a partially exploded view showing
this fuselage extension to the B-58B. There is also a wing strake added.

If you need a copy Josef I'd be glad to send you one as I have an extra.

Consider your KINGFISH drawings, you already posted here some time ago,
as adequate payment!

I would scan and post the specific image, but I'm not sure I'm allowed
to do that. If I am, I can do that too.

So PM me with your contact info, if you need a copy of this book.

I enjoyed your Super Hustler drawing at the start of this thread, very much !
You composed it in a way that evokes surprise and since it is a distant view
and the shape of the aircraft is unusual, there is a large amount of mystery
and shock in the image too - the image causes a great experience - at least
in me! Gregory had it spot on when he said - "I must get my telephoto" !!
I had a similar immediate reaction!

I was somewhat saddened when you were stopped from continuing.

Let me encourage you to continue !

And when you get the chance, please give us a Super Hustler parasite as well
as a FISH to go along with the KINGFISH you gave us. As your schedule permits
of coarse.

The half-image of FISH that Scott gave you - is significant! You should go with
that inspiration. And you should also note the Super Hustler
drawing that he provided. I believe that comes from the Convair Design Proposal
to the USAF.

Only short note, this is only start of this topic. I want to do all four versions of Super Hustler (without ramjets as standart planes) and I will to do parasite Fish(es), too with B-58A/B. No worry, we will have chance walk around and see it in flight, etc. Please, contact me on jozefgatial@gmail.com. Sended materials will be used only for work on this project.

Save money on new telephoto, this will be simpler way. Thanks for help

wlbinoculars.jpg

dn12383-1_614.jpg

What a b-e-a-u-t-y, Josef!

This is what I'm talking about!

Real beauties Jozef !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

So I've been wondering, why the _ _ _ _ didn't GD call the F-111 the Super Hustler?
It was definitely Super and a Hustler!
Supersonic low altitude pentration capability, TFR. Yes it had problems at first, but I think the name would
have fit.

They were saving the name for something else, ... probably.

Orionblamblam said:
shockonlip said:
So I've been wondering, why the _ _ _ _ didn't GD call the F-111 the Super Hustler?

Because that name had already been taken.

Yes, by studies that contributed to its (the F-111) design even!
And eventually it became a SAC bomber (F-111) even like some of the earlier SAC bomber studies
that contributed to it.

So in my opinion, it would have been a legit possibility. Or it would be interesting as to why not,
if anybody knows. Wish I had asked Bob Widmer when I had the chance.

I red it and I don't have problem with it. You saw my source on this plane and it is only simple sketch. Probably this design is similar to Super Hustler as parasite plane under B-58B and all notes and corrections I will only welcome. On other side there are planes when you can render hundreds pictures and it is still what to do. This one is too simple or I don't know. If somebody has an idea on some other color scheme I will try to repaint it.

We are waiting for a new shape... We are waiting

Attachments

• Superhustler_sc05_newShape.jpg
    Superhustler_sc05_newShape.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 251
Absolutely fabolous, Josef=)

PlanesPictures said:
We are waiting for a new shape... We are waiting

Only thing you can do after one of those "KAHN!!!!!!" moments is to just say "to hell with it" for a bit. ;D

Top and side views of this specific design: notice how in the top view, three distinct rectangular windows are visible, while the side view shows distinctly triangular windows. This is because the three on the top are all on a flat horizontal plane, and the side windows are on a nearly vertical flat plane.

Attachments

• Image198a.jpg
    Image198a.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 190
Cross section of the Super Hustler through the cockpit. Note that this has slab sides and top, and the SH-dervied TAC bomber would have had generally similar lines.

Attachments

• shustler06.gif
    shustler06.gif
    309 KB · Views: 203