Convair 'Project HAZEL' Reconnaissance aircraft

PlanesPictures said:
For this project I found in my archives Boeing's original drawing of B-52B model. But from net I read "Leading Edge Sweep: 35°"- red line on drawing. Had B-52B wing with other leading edge sweep as newest B-52s versions (blue line on drawing) or this drawing is total fake?

It was probably just poorly written, as wing sweep is measured along the 1/4 chord line.

"It was probably just poorly written, as wing sweep is measured along the 1/4 chord line." - you are probably right because all drawings has angle of leading edge more as 35 o

Attachments

• B-52 wing.jpg
    B-52 wing.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 59
martinbayer said:
Sherman Tank said:
It's fascinating to see proposals from the brief period when LH and boronated ZIP fuels were still thought to be viable for aircraft propulsion.

Hydrogen still is - look at Boeing's Phantom Eye.

Martin

Phantom Eye is interesting, but I note it's a very subsonic UAV. It's hardly in the same league as this or the Lockheed Suntan, is it?

Sherman Tank said:
martinbayer said:
Sherman Tank said:
It's fascinating to see proposals from the brief period when LH and boronated ZIP fuels were still thought to be viable for aircraft propulsion.

Martin

Phantom Eye is interesting, but I note it's a very subsonic UAV. It's hardly in the same league as this or the Lockheed Suntan, is it?

Certainly true, but they are all *aircraft*, and your comment on the viability of liquid hydrogen as a fuel for aircraft propulsion seemed to be fairly sweeping and not constrained to supersonic/hypersonic and/or crewed applications. But if you are looking for a contemporary design example of a LH powered system with comparable characteristics as the study concepts discussed in this thread, the Reaction Engines A2 comes to mind. Other ongoing related efforts based on liquid hydrogen powered airbreathing propulsion, such as the European LAPCAT II program or the Japanese HYTEX effort, are discussed at https://info.aiaa.org/tac/PEG/HSABPTC/Public%20Documents/Hypersonics%20Article_Musielak%202016.pdf.

Martin

Sherman Tank said:
martinbayer said:
Sherman Tank said:

Martin

How would you define "the same league"?

I'd note that Phantom Eye is the only one that actually flew...

Phantom Eye isn't in the same league because isn't a manned supersonic plane with an insane-sounding mission profile.

Sherman Tank said:
Phantom Eye isn't in the same league because isn't a manned supersonic plane with an insane-sounding mission profile.

And yet it flew much faster and farther than HAZEL ever did.

blackstar said:
Sherman Tank said:

So it's definitely in a different league!

Sherman Tank said:
blackstar said:
Sherman Tank said:

So it's definitely in a different league!

Touché