Comic artist versus Real Aircraft

I wonder if that Justo Miranda is related to you ? (runs for cover). Seriously: nice artwork. Was the book never made ? a pity.

I wonder if that Justo Miranda is related to you ? (runs for cover). Seriously: nice artwork. Was the book never made ? a pity.
We never managed to overcome the defenses created by Moulinsart's lawyers, but most of the drawings have already been posted on the forum and will eventually be incorporated into the Encyclopedia Galactica.;)

Ah, lawyers and Copyright... sometimes that side of the business is a bit ugly... you should have Better called Saul... he would have screwed Moulinsart as he screwed Mesa Verde...

My mom born in 1943 when she was ten was reading this novel...

The book survived across 70 years, still have it today. Imagine when I red that as a kid in the 1990's.
Later I learned there were two novels, not one. Found and bought the other one, courtesy of the Internet. My mom never knew there were two novels either.
In the novel the lunar base was at Copernicus.

... and Tintin magazine, with this: landing at Aristarchus...

Later, aged 25 in 1968, she went to see Kubrick's 2001 (and thoroughly enjoyed it, she can still remember the experience nowadays, aged 80) with the monolith buried at Tycho...

... and she can still remember where she was on July 21, 1969.

What a blessed generation, really. Sometimes I'm a little frustrated to be born "only" in 1982.

Then again, von Braun pitch to the Space Task Group - August 4, 1969 - planned the first Mars landing for August 15, 1982 - merely 13 years later to the day.
Had it happened that way, I would have been a big toddler crying in a craddle, aged 4 months... so, screwed again. No better luck with April 1986, as in Stefan Baxter Voyage: would have turned 4 (years, not months this time !) a few weeks later.

So Moon or Mars, was born the wrong year. Except if Musk lit his big candle at least and press to Mars.

Last edited:
"La porte des étoiles / Treshold of the stars"
"Le continent du ciel / Continent in the sky"

Paul Berna https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Berna

These two novels are a bit obscure, but well worth a read (and summary)

So it all starts in south-west France, the place where me and my mom grew up many decades apart. The quiet tract of land south of Bordeaux and north of the Spanish border, the side of the Atlantic coast.

It is a rather rural and backward place with a lot of pine trees and sand dunes and lakes. Because it was sparsely populated OTL all three french military branches put their test and training centers right there - helicopters, nuclear Mirages, SLBM test center, parachutists, jet trainers, bombing range... they are all there.

So when the space race begins, this is the place where the nuclear spaceships (this was 1954) are tested. Right there - I know that place !

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ousse-Suzan Since the author keeps calling it "Suzan" it took me a while to realize it was that village. My mind was blown.

Hence spaceport Suzan is born. Fun fact: Berna put the date as 197X soooo - first Moon landing in the 1970's. Once again, Apollo took many sci-fi writers by surprise...

A whole bunch of engineers, and rocket and nuclear scientists, lands there and a secretive base is created in the middle of nowhere. The story is told from the engineers kids POV - and they are brats.

The brats are witness to the very dangerous nuclear space vehicle testing. This was written in the 1950's, so there is some abuse towards kids that wouldn't be tolerated nowadays. It is a harsh, cruel world at times.

Long story short, the smartest of the brats uncover a mysterious conspiracy at Suzan that truly erupts in the second novel. Where the kid stowaway to the Moon, winning a bet he made with the other kids. Bad luck, the trip he picked was the worst possible one: the traitors, spies and greedy villains plays havoc with the spaceships and the lunar base - painstakingly build at Copernicus crater (also Fra Mauro - to you, Apollo 14). It is the classic opposition between the noble scientists and the greedy capitalists, kind of. With a final plot twist that explains why some where greedy in the first place...

Overall, a pretty good story. It's a kid adventure classic tale, dated at times, but a fun reading overall.

My mom got "Continent in the sky" for her tenth birthday circa 1953. The book survived for 40 years before it landed on my lap when I was 10. Loved it, but it took me many more years and the Internet to realize it was merely the sequel to another novel (Treshold of the stars: La porte des étoiles). So I red the story in reverse : book 2 first and then book 1 many a few decades later.

1385486510.0.x.jpg

1254380067_L.jpg

Last edited:

So it all starts in south-west France, the place where me and my mom grew up many decades apart. The quiet tract of land south of Bordeaux and north of the Spanish border, the side of the Atlantic coast.

It is a rather rural and backward place with a lot of pine trees and sand dunes and lakes. Because it was sparsely populated OTL all three french military branches put their test and training centers right there - helicopters, nuclear Mirages, SLBM test center, parachutists, jet trainers, bombing range... they are all there.

So when the space race begins, this is the place where the nuclear spaceships (this was 1954) are tested. Right there - I know that place !

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ousse-Suzan Since the author keeps calling it "Suzan" it took me a while to realize it was that village. My mind was blown.

Hence spaceport Suzan is born. Fun fact: Berna put the date as 197X soooo - first Moon landing in the 1970's. Once again, Apollo took many sci-fi writers by surprise...

A whole bunch of engineers, and rocket and nuclear scientists, lands there and a secretive base is created in the middle of nowhere. The story is told from the engineers kids POV - and they are brats.

The brats are witness to the very dangerous nuclear space vehicle testing. This was written in the 1950's, so there is some abuse towards kids that wouldn't be tolerated nowadays. It is a harsh, cruel world at times.

Long story short, the smartest of the brats uncover a mysterious conspiracy at Suzan that truly erupts in the second novel. Where the kid stowaway to the Moon, winning a bet he made with the other kids. Bad luck, the trip he picked was the worst possible one: the traitors, spies and greedy villains plays havoc with the spaceships and the lunar base - painstakingly build at Copernicus crater (also Fra Mauro - to you, Apollo 14). It is the classic opposition between the noble scientists and the greedy capitalists, kind of. With a final plot twist that explains why some where greedy in the first place...

Overall, a pretty good story. It's a kid adventure classic tale, dated at times, but a fun reading overall.

My mom got "Continent in the sky" for her tenth birthday circa 1953. The book survived for 40 years before it landed on my lap when I was 10. Loved it, but it took me many more years and the Internet to realize it was merely the sequel to another novel (Treshold of the stars: La porte des étoiles). So I red the story in reverse : book 2 first and then book 1 many a few decades later.

View attachment 696269

View attachment 696270
Francis Carsac First Empire
Archaeologists of the future interpret pulp science fiction stories as historical texts. The scientists of that time believe that the speed of light cannot be exceeded, but when the news that a stellar empire already existed in the twentieth century is known, they change the Einsteinian paradigm, investigate thoroughly and get the stellar engine. A beautiful story.

Attachments

• 471.jpg
    471.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

View attachment 696269

View attachment 696270

That first image is SO 'Thunderbird 3' . . .

cheers,
Robin.

View attachment 696269

View attachment 696270

That first image is SO 'Thunderbird 3' . . .

cheers,
Robin.
Hi

Attachments

• img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 43
Radical Rocketry has a large flying model rocket kit of Thunderbird 3. It is made of 3D printed and CNC cut plywood parts. You order the body tubes from another vendor. The model is 23.5" tall and although designed as a flying model, it will impressively sit on your shelf as a non-flying model.

View: https://www.facebook.com/Radical.Rocketry/posts/pfbid0c62vvcWixRDdjgYSJnyZuMjHJ2RfLGmjMbGayH9UK26yAe5w7VL1Jitg4qsKGsWfl

Attachments

• Thunderbird 3 5.jpg
    Thunderbird 3 5.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Thunderbird 3 4.jpg
    Thunderbird 3 4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Thunderbird 3 3.jpg
    Thunderbird 3 3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Thunderbird 3 2.jpg
    Thunderbird 3 2.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Thunderbird 3 1.jpg
    Thunderbird 3 1.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Attachments

• LC 1.jpg
    LC 1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 18
  • LC 2.jpg
    LC 2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 18
  • LC 4.jpg
    LC 4.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 17
  • LC 3.jpg
    LC 3.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 19
  • LC 5.jpg
    LC 5.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 31
As in :-

View attachment 696290

cheers,
Robin.
Ah, Thunderbird 3. That particular model stood close to six feet high and used for closeups.
I am a fan of Frank Bellamy’s work. What he did for Dan Dare and the Thunderbirds comics. Samples attached of designs that were not seen in the TB TV series.

Attachments

• 4826A068-DA2C-44E0-A4A7-31C24333115A.jpeg
    4826A068-DA2C-44E0-A4A7-31C24333115A.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 33
  • C699D65D-1C32-4194-991B-1584B0BDDECF.jpeg
    C699D65D-1C32-4194-991B-1584B0BDDECF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 3E0CED46-9777-4430-90A1-AD6D3D75FEE4.jpeg
    3E0CED46-9777-4430-90A1-AD6D3D75FEE4.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

C'est au nord du cratère fantôme Hipparchus X, au centre du cirque Hipparque2, que se pose la fusée lunaire de Tintin en juin 1953

All right then, what has LRO to say about Hipparchus-X ? see attached.

Hi

Hey folks, I browsed "Hipparchus" site:ntrs.nasa.gov on google, and guess what I found ? A Surveyor landing site at Hipparchus !
In a Lunar Orbiter V mission report - attached.

Thanks to @Justo Miranda artwork and the french book I mentionned, I managed to pinpoint both landing spots on LROC map.
Hipparchus X for Tintin versus Surveyor coordinates.

So, behold: Tintin versus Surveyor at Hipparchus. Pink cross is Hipparchus X, with coordinates at the bottom; blue dot is Surveoyor landing spot coordinates (on top, according to the attached pdf.)

Hipparchus X: 3.80° S 3.40° E
Surveyor spot: 4.45°S 4.05° E

Lunar circumference is 11000 km, divided by 360 degrees: 1 lunar degree is roughly 31 km. Hence, 0.5 degree should be 15 km.

So both places are merely 20 km apart.

Capture d’écran 2023-03-25 133703.png

Attachments

• 19680019419.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
"Ezdanitoff ?
"Is dat niet tof ?
"Ain't that cool ?

"Ezdanitoff ?
"Is dat niet tof ?
"Ain't that cool ?
A Trademark of Herge, he used Wordplay, mostly in local Brussel dialect
like Ezdanitof or Wronzoff (Worn Off) and Krollspell what mean krulspeld or curler.
if you look closer to dialog of Natives in Tim comic, its dialect of Marollen Quarter in Brussel...

"Ezdanitoff ?
"Is dat niet tof ?
"Ain't that cool ?
A Trademark of Herge, he used Wordplay, mostly in local Brussel dialect
like Ezdanitof or Wronzoff (Worn Off) and Krollspell what mean krulspeld or curler.
if you look closer to dialog of Natives in Tim comic, its dialect of Marollen Quarter in Brussel...
http://fighters.forumactif.com/t694...taleri-1-72-photos-finales-p-24-et-je-conclus

Mario Roldao a écrit:Frère de la Guilde, salutations!
C'est avec respect et émotion que je suis ton récit à la recherche de ce si vieux modèle. Si ancien mais dont je me rapelle bien de la sortie, quand j'étais déjà un maquetiste confirmé, avec la barbe marquée de cole et de peinture (enamel, bien sûr).
J'attend avec impatience la suite de vottre demande et aussi, j'espère, de la déscription de montage d'une si belle maquette. Elle mérite vos doigts experts!
Je remarque aussi le nom de votre mâitre, Ezdanitoff. Il ya lontemps je me rapelle de voir les montages d'un Ezdanitoff dans les pages du superbe magazin: "Le Fanatique de l'Aviation" des premiers jours, quand les pages étaient borrées de plans multivues et photos de dátail si précieuses pour les membres de notre Guilde. Sera-t-il le même? Ou alors cette furtive personage du "Vol 714 pour Sidney"?
Salutations fraternes.

Mário

Merci pour votre commentaire.
J'ai effectivement repris le nom Ezdanitoff (pseudo de Hervé de Vinck) en hommage au grand maquettiste et auteur aéronautique des premiers numéros du Fana. La réalité rejoint la fiction car on peut dire qu'il fût vraiment mon maître quand j'ai commencé à faire des maquettes.
Pour la petite histoire, je l'ai même rencontré une fois ; c'est un homme charmant, très passionné et dessinateur et peintre de talent en plus de sa maitrise en maquettisme.

Pour la maquette, le montage suivra, c'est sûr, mais je dois d'abord rentrer à Kaddath.

https://www.editionspath.be/en/catalog/b814~herve-de-vinck

30 Rue de l’Enseignement | 1000 Bruxelles | TVA BE 0828 624 379 | IBAN BE21 7805 9293 0903 | BIC GKCCBEBB
T. 02 356 46 16 | GSM 0498 05 19 80 | F. 02 361 10 79 | info@editionspatH.be | Paiements et sécurité
N° d'éditeur 12.782 (registre des éditeurs de la Bibliothèque Royale) | Indicatif éditeur 978-2-930639 (Afnil) | Membre Association des Éditeurs Belges (ADEB)

https://www.amazon.com/Laviation-Militaire-Belge-Herve-Vinck/dp/B003RH1PHK

L'aviation Militaire Belge Paperback – January 1, 1980

German Edition by Herve. De Vinck (Author)

According to Don E. Wihelms "To a rocky Moon"

Less “special,” but more suited to Surveyor’s landing accuracy, were the relatively smooth and level floors of the craters Julius Caesar and, especially, Hipparchus, a favorite for a Surveyor and early Apollo mission at least since the Falmouth (1965) conference because it offered a big (150-km) nonmare target.
Seems Surveyor VII - Tycho - backup landing site had the 13 m/s midcourse correction failed was Hipparchus.

Surveyor VI concluded the required direct support to the Apollo Program. Consequently, the prime objective of Surveyor VII was to obtain data at a site offering the greatest chemical diversity from the maria sites of all previous landings. Selection of the landing site which would be compatible with this objective, while providing an acceptable probability of soft landing, was a difficult and lengthy process. The selection had not yet been made at the time the launch vehicle targeting had to commence. Therefore, targeting was generated for landing sites in Hipparchus and Copernicus craters because these sites were prime candidates and also provided for reaching almost any other site within the communication and incidence angle constraints with a midcourse maneuver of less than 15 m/sec. The landing site eventually selected for Surveyor VII was on the Tycho ejecta or flow blanket at 40.87°S latitude and 11.37°W longitude, north of the crater itself. Since Hipparchus was the closer of the targeted sites, the Hipparchus targeting was selected for the mission, resulting in a nominal midcourse requirement of about 13 m/sec.​

Now that's funny... Surveyor VII landed at Clarke & Kubrick "monolith land" (Tycho !) - but its backup site would have send it to a meeting with Tintin - at Hipparchus !

Talk about a probe for sci-fi buffs !

Last edited:
Does anyone know which comic book this cover comes from ? (Resolved)
I couldn't find anything on the net ! :(
The aircraft looks a bit like a P-59.
tumblr_mioq1uC3861s6ejtwo1_500.jpg 89.jpg

Last edited:
On Les disque de Feu

Rémy Bourlès and Raymond Reding based there aircraft art, on the X-1, DC-4, Sikorsky S-51.

Another nice & little known BD.
"Operation Boomerang" by Albert Weinberg, the author of Dan Cooper.
254.jpg

Funny to think a man with the name of "Graton" wrote about Le Mans so much (the joke: grattons is a meat delicacy from Le Mans: a delicious, renowned pork meat pâté )

Oh gosh... my mom, born 1943, red these exact Tintin magasines as a teen. They survived long enough I saw them for real, battered, bruised after 40 years (1955 - 1995) when I was a teen, too. In fact I took special care of saving the few bits of Tintin magazine that survived across decades. I still have one magazine intact if not pristine - straight out of october 1956 (the one below - I think the "special auto" and "special aviation" resisted better as they were much thicker and robust - a bit like phone books.)
And a few more complete but in poor shape.
And a whole pile of "orphan" pages in very poor shape.

It is extremely weird to see those covers intact and on the Internet and on my computer screen. Such a bizarre feeling.

330_001.jpg

Last edited:
It is extremely weird to see those covers intact and on the Internet and on my computer screen. Such a bizarre feeling.
the answer is simple

360863238657.jpg

Le Journal Tintin was also publish as collector's album with 4 albums covering one year
those were nine regular TinTin issues bind into robust cardboard cover
that why covers are in so good state
and yes someone took all 194 album and scanned them...

Some by Jean Graton
That odd (for me) because Graton became the Car Race artist for Journal TinTin with Michel Vaillant
De la Terre à la Lune by Kumagai

Nice to see some one used Goodyear studies for something

Attachments

• gettyimages-2660833-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-2660833-612x612.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 22
Post-2

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 14
  • img012.jpg