Comic artist versus Real Aircraft

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Old thread, random question...does anyone know what real-life aircraft inspired this one from the Porco Rosso comics and film?

porco rosso twin tail pusher.jpeg

Another view (from a video game capture)…

83A72724-DB34-4CF6-98F4-135005965D7C.jpeg

Last edited:

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
Don't know of a particular aircraft like that one, but most of the planes in Porco Rosso are Schneider Cup and WWI waterplanes.

archipeppe

Reaction score
Old thread, random question...does anyone know what real-life aircraft inspired this one from the Porco Rosso comics and film?

View attachment 668977

Another view (from a video game capture)…

View attachment 669003
It is obviously a single seat, single engine and single hull version of a SIAI S-55 hydroplane:

fsmwb1119_dorawings_s55_01.jpg

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
It is obviously a single seat, single engine and single hull version of a SIAI S-55 hydroplane:
In other words a smaller version of the S.63? Perhaps, but I don’t think that’s it. In the watercolor drawings Miyazaki went to considerable effort show the wing folding setup. If it is inspired by a real plane and not completely fictional, I am thinking it might have been some sort of shipboard spotter aircraft.

_Del_

I really should change my personal text... Or not.
Reaction score
Reminds me quite a bit of the "flying shoe". Obviously not in the particulars or size, but the overall arrangement.

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
Miyazaki's aircraft are original designs with the flavor of real aircraft; They have the right proportions and characteristics that would let them fly in a real sky. Bits and pieces of actual aircraft are brought together with an animator's imagination to create something that hasn't been seen before.

Nausicaä's Möwe has the wing shape of a seagull and is powered by a turbojet. The giant blue Tolmekian Transports also have the seagull wing and its fuselage shows influence of the Messerschmitt Gigant. The airships began with something Zeppelin like and have evolved into a new shape that fits the story being told.

Proof of the pudding is that Nausicaä's Möwe has been built and flown as a flying man carrying aircraft:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17elclJuXxQ