Classic Airplane Profile Artists

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out who might be the best classic airplane profile artist. -SP

Flitzer is one of the best I know.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4791.0.html for some examples of his work

2D...

jsp_profiles_1.jpg

or 3D...?

slice_and_dice_6.jpg

:)

XB-70 Guy said:
I'm trying to find out who might be the best classic airplant profile artist. -SP

Not sure about airplants, but when it comes to spaceplants, this is the top!!

day-of-the-triffids.jpg

Stargazer2006 said:
XB-70 Guy said:
I'm trying to find out who might be the best classic airplant profile artist. -SP

day-of-the-triffids.jpg

We just don't know if that plant can fly!!

shockonlip said:

Very true. And one could also argue that the poster doesn't really show the spaceplant in profile... but then again, it's from outer space, so how would they KNOW what is the profile and what is the front?!

So IT has the blonde, ..., or maybe she wanted the airplant!
The airplant may be peaceful unless attacked by a blonde!

Seriously though, we have some good profiler's here.

prolific1 is no slouch either! I enjoyed the F-107 and Super Hustler
prolific1 did.

Or here: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/forum29-aviation-profile-painting/
In particular a guy named Jesters-Ink (Kelcey Faulkner). He helped me out brilliantly on the Japanese Secret Projects book.

shockonlip said:
Stargazer2006 said:
XB-70 Guy said:

day-of-the-triffids.jpg

Either way, this thread hijack should serve as suitable punishment for OP misspelling one of the more important words in his sentence. :D Aaaanyways, I'm thinking we need a profile of this other spaceplant from Little Shop of Horrors.

Attachments

• 478856A682.jpg
    478856A682.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Little Shop of Horrors 10.jpg
    Little Shop of Horrors 10.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
Matej said:
XB-70 Guy said:

So what are your criteria? Because the "best something" is one of the most subjective statements ever.
I meant AIRPLANE not airplant. I apologize for the spelling error. I'm just trying to find out who might be best suited for 2D profiles of P-51s and all of its variants, spinoffs. -SP

Well, that's the progress. My advice was that you should specify it a bit. Does the "best" mean the most possible accuracy in details and markings? Best photorealistic effect? Best "cool looking" factor? Most respected artist in general public? The drawings used in the highest numbers of publications? The best price/result ratio? ...

Now we know at least the reason, why you asked this question, so I think you will now receive the much accurate answers.

I bumped into this thread via Google, so I thought I'd update it with some of my latest profile art:

Ki-44-II_Otsu_profiles_900.jpg

Ki-44-II_Hei_profiles_900.jpg

Ki-44_profiles_sample_900.jpg

Detail close-up:

Ki-44_profiles_crop33_750.jpg

And here's the 3D model I made to create the above profile art:

Ki-44_wip08.jpg

All this was done for Osprey's Ki-44 Tojo Aces of World War 2, a truly excellent book by Nicholas Millman.

I hope you like the images!

Cheers,

Ronnie

PS. I also have a new website: http://www.aviationart.aero
Once the .aero domain became available I just had to get it! B)

Your skills are amazing!! (or in this case, should I say "shoki-ng"??!! ;D )

You simply master the light. I love that work. Thanks for sharing your art with us.