overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony Buttler has informed me that Chris Farara, former Hawker Aircraft employee, compiler of the Hawker Association newsletter, occasional writer, and diligent archivist of the Brooklands Hawker archive, has passed away.

I can only speak from my own experience - Chris was a really nice man, who helped me a lot as a very novice researcher and potential author getting together the materials I needed to start writing my P.1121 book. I came away from our first meeting knowing there was a book to be written, and with a hefty chunk of materials to start from.

He had a true historian's concern for preserving the knowledge, artifacts and stories of the past, and was generous in sharing what he had and what he knew. His comments on my manuscript were invaluable.

We last caught up in early 2020, when he was able to show me that the somewhat ramshackle old shed bursting with Hawker materials I visited back in the 2000s had been replaced by a modern, air-conditioned building to preserve the collection properly for the future. He was very proud of what Brooklands had achieved, and I think he deserved a good share of the credit.

I was hoping to catch up with him again in July 2025 when I plan to visit the UK again. Alas, it was not to be.

Rest in peace, Chris.

It is sad news indeed.
I only met Chris once in-person but he was very helpful and generous with his encyclopaedic knowledge of Hawker. The Hawker archive at Brooklands is a testament to his hard work and dedication.

Truly sad news, Chris was a true gentleman, always helpful, even on my unplanned unscheduled impromptu visits (a packet of biscuits helped) with a passion and interest in compiling and looking after the archive collection.
A sad loss indeed

Such sad news. Chris was just the nicest, kindest, most helpful person. The Hawker archive at Brooklands was his voluntary retirement activity, yet he made it into something amazing. Along with his sustained work for the Hawker Association he saved the legacy of Sopwith/Hawker/HSA/BAe at Kingston and Dunsfold, and with his special focus on secret projects it became, I think, the best aviation archive in Britain for that subject too.

I will always think of him sat in the old 'shed' amidst boxes and papers, sifting and sorting masses of material, asking 'have you seen this?' before handing over another gem.

All that after a career making the Harrier and Hawk come to life at Dunsfold and Kingston.

He will be greatly missed by me and many others.

Rest in Peace Chris.

1714214771431.jpeg

Last edited: