Chinese Super-Duper-Catamaran Carrier w/ Scary Email Message

Broncazonk

What the hell?
Reaction score
I got the pictures and message below in my email yesterday... For a country that spent 13-years getting the Varyag back in the water it's rather breathless... ::)

THIS IS QUANTUM LEAP ABOVE ANYTHING WE HAVE ON THE DRAWING BOARD. THEY HAVE THOUGHT " OUTSIDE THE BOX " ON THIS ONE. BETTER SPEED, LARGER CAPACITY, MUCH MORE STABLE, ETC.

DEFINITELY A " BLUE-WATER " LONG REACH VESSEL. PLUS THEY CAN SERVICE THEIR NUKE SUB FLEET IN-BETWEEN THE TWIN HULLS ( SIGHTUNSEEN ) OR EVEN LAUNCH AMPHIBIOUS OPPS FROM SAME. IT WILL BE LAUNCHED IN HALF THE TIME IT TAKES THE USA AT JUST ONE-THIRD THE COST. ADD THE NEW CHINESE STEALTH FIGHTER BOMBER ( NAVAL VERSION ALREADY FLIGHT TESTING ) IN THE MIX AND YOU HAVE THE MAKINGS OF A FORMIDABLE WEAPONS SYSTEM INDEED.

ALSO LOOK AT THAT EXTRA ''PARKING AND READINESS'' STATION BETWEEN BOTH HULL STRUCTURES. AND OF COURSE THE LAUNCHING AND LANDING CAPABILITIES FROM THE UTILISATION OF TWIN FLIGHT DECKS AT ONCE

P.S. SOME THOUGHT SHOULD BE GIVEN TO ADVISING YOUR GRANDCHILDREN TO LEARN TOSPEAK MANDARIN ( FORGET SPANISH ) MY " VERY, VERY BRIGHT " 15-YEAR OLD 3rd COUSIN HAS ALREADY BEEN ADVISED TO DO SO BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW ABOUT SUCH THINGS.

P.P.S SIX OF THESE VESSELS ( TWO PACIFIC, TWO ATLANTIC, ONE INDIAN OCEAN
AND ONE MED SEA ) WOULD BE A PRETTY GOOD DIPLOMATIC " BIG STICK ". NOTE:
THE CHINESE ARE ALREADY DRILLING FOR OIL OFF CUBA. BRAZIL AND VENEZUELA.
CAN THEY BUILD A FLEET OF THESE THINGS?

A FEW FACTS: THE CHINESE HAVE COMPLETED THE WORLD'S BIGGEST DAM ( THREE GORGES ), THE WORLD'S LONGEST OVER-WATER BRIDGE ( 65 TIMES AS MUCH STEEL AS IN THE EIFFEL TOWER ), AND A 15,000' HIGH RAILROAD INTO TIBET (ALL CONSIDERED MAJOR ENGINEERING FEATS).

THEY ARE THE ONLY NATION OTHER THAN RUSSIA THAT CAN LAUNCH MEN INTO OUTER SPACE ( OUR CAPABILITY ENDS WITH THE LAST SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH THIS MONTH ). THEY HAVE ALSO SHOT DOWN A SURVEILLANCE SATELLITE ( ONE OF THEIR OWN )
FROM THE GROUND. PLUS THEY " OWN OUR ASS " IN THE INTERNATIONAL DEBT GAME.

CHINA'S NEW A/C CARRIER COULD BE TWICE AS FAST AS ANYTHING WE HAVE, PLUS THE STABILITY OF A CATAMARAN TYPE HULL WILL GREATLY REDUCE THE PITCHING, YAWING AND SWAYING COMMON TO OUR PRESENT DESIGNS.

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 731
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 743
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 730
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 712
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 718
caps-lock-caps-lock-demotivational-poster-1252080149.jpg

The two helicopter pads there at the back are definitely good for a chuckle. ;D

I can't get past the Berkut airwing and this mythical 2nd J-20 that's flying as a naval prototype :eek:

Oh, and did I mention the Il-76 on deck?

SOC said:
Oh, and did I mention the Il-76 on deck?

The folding wing Il-76. Admit it: You want one!

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

PS: Broncazonk, you write that you "got the pictures and message below in my email yesterday". From where?

It would be a mercy killing.

Lauge said:
PS: Broncazonk, you write that you "got the pictures and message below in my email yesterday". From where?

The original email came from someone in the Wyoming Army National Guard, but after he sent it out, it was forwarded to about fifty people, and finally to me. I'm surprised everyone hasn't gotten it.

Bronc

Indeed the helo decks with overhanging flight deck ... novel. Wonder what the team at Pax River would think of that.
Army National Guard has always been a superb source of naval intelligence and analysis. Then again they are not the week end warriors they once were.

You all should wait to see this thing in the dry dock. Each hull has a couple of hundred M113 "Gavin"s on the underside. Its the fully amphibious Gavin-maran aircraft carrier...

Hey, get a load of the Arleigh Burke Class superstructure used a forward island. :p I suppose they got that off of E-Bay. (Coughing "b******t").

Hey, slap some thrusters on the aft end and it could be the SDF-3.

It's the emotional reaction (by average uninformed folks) to a dark glurgly email and silly pictures that amazes me. I agree: this is fanboy art, though it has gone far and wide in China, but it has created real and actual fear. I've gotten several emails asking, "Is this real?" and there is fear in the asking.

Bronc

Broncazonk said:
It's the emotional reaction (by average uninformed folks) to a dark glurgly email and silly pictures that amazes me.

Doesn't amaze me. People all over the world are *easily* suckered in my nonsense stated as fact, so long as it sounds or looks vaguely plausible. The most recent example I can think of is the fake photo supposedly showign an Israeli soldier pointing an AK-47 at a little girl; uncropped it's blisteringly obviously not an Israeli solider, but that hasn;t stopped a whole hell of a lot of people from believing it: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/02/viral-photo-of-israeli-soldier-appears-fake.html

The thing with the Chinese CG aircraft carrier is that it shows an impressive looking (if very implausible and rather goofy) depiction of a threat. Since the US is in apparent decline (looking beyond the economy and the governments refusal to deal with massive overspending, a very clear pointer that a good chunk of the American public has accepted that our day as a modern nation is ending is the reaction to even the suggestion of a Moon base... laughter, rather than "well, of course we can do that"), and China is in apparent ascendance, it makes sense to be leery of their military aspirations. While China has certainly opened up from their Mao days, they remain the appearance of a clear and present danger because of their continued refusal to take their Communists and line them up against a wall.

Since the vast majority of people cannot seem to tell that good CGI ain't photographs, or recognize that photo-realistic renderings can be created by a talented teenager with a laptop, it doesn;t amaze me at all that people believe this stuff. Hell, the "Nigerian prince scam" is still working.

I've been paying attention to how much attention many Chinese nationals give to the United State's aircraft carriers. The Chinese seem fixated on them--and not in a good way. From what I've read from a variety of sources the Chinese hate, fear, resent, envy, dislike and grumble about America's supercarriers quite a bit --it's rather remarkable.

Bronc

royabulgaf said:
"....but it has created real and actual fear.' With who? The terminally uninformed?

You have just described 98% of the American public, and have done so perfectly.

Bronc

My God, that is the stupidest design ever for an aircraft carrier I've seen in my life! Whoever designed this and the idiot who wrote that email deserve to be D0xed on 4chan for our protection and the lulz. The cuckoo-in-the-cuckoo-clock crazy on this one is over 9000!

Attachments

• the-lulz-boat-thumb-640xauto-22260.jpg
    the-lulz-boat-thumb-640xauto-22260.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 396
Broncazonk said:
I've gotten several emails asking, "Is this real?" and there is fear in the asking.

Bronc

If it was actually being built we'd fear the judgment of whoever ordered it... so, it could be justified...

Broncazonk said:
I've been paying attention to how much attention many Chinese nationals give to the United State's aircraft carriers. The Chinese seem fixated on them--and not in a good way. From what I've read from a variety of sources the Chinese hate, fear, resent, envy, dislike and grumble about America's supercarriers quite a bit --it's rather remarkable.

Bronc

Hopefully the Chinese will feel they've regained their dignity (regarding being partitioned etc.) long before they actually use any of their carrier on anything. The Chinese really need to find more dinosaurs and provide better health care etc. Find a more useful place to gain bragging rights. Militarism is quite silly - especially when it is being done by someone other than me. ;)

Here is another idea coming from China, I present: The Peoples Liberation Army Navy Zheng-Yu-Class Strategic Nuclear Submarine Mothership.

The story about this thing appeared in the Navy Times no less.

The Chinese are thinking large, laughably large. This thing is a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier (40-aircraft, 5-anti-submarine helicopters, three unmanned AWACS,) AND a submarine equipped with 36-strategic nuclear missiles silos, AND a nuclear ballistic-missile submarine tender ALL IN ONE!

There are so many problems with this concept it's not even wrong, but in my estimation, it actually does provide a deep insight into China's thinking and their ability to think...

Bronc

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 282
  • chinese-submarine-carrier-300x225.jpg
    chinese-submarine-carrier-300x225.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Chinese Super Sub.jpg
    Chinese Super Sub.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 287
Don't forget the Death Star they are building...

Attachments

• PLA_Death_Star.jpg
    PLA_Death_Star.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
Those bitt like things sticking out from the stern probably are the SLBM silos ?
Then mathematics aren't too well taught in China, but I must admit, that their
kindergartners are much better in producing computer graphics, than in the rest
of the world ! ;D

Broncazonk said:
The story about this thing appeared in the Navy Times no less.

Broncazonk said:
The Chinese are thinking large, laughably large.

Broncazonk said:
....but in my estimation, it actually does provide a deep insight into China's thinking and their ability to think...

The Chinese may be inscrutable as all get-go, but they never struck me as stupid. Which leads to my question: Is there any reason (e.g. presented in the Navy Times article) to think that this is an "official" Chinese project and not just fan art?

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

Man, this Super-duper Sub Aircraft carrier has big Subs as dinghy's !

i have a notion, that its here are hardware design for a chinese video game.

by the way
how is the situation at Pentagon and Capitol Hill ?
oh-noes.gif

Still the same....

It's amazing how many emotions that silly pictures like these create. In China, overblown concepts like the catamaran carrier and this super-submarine provide a sense of satisfaction, hope and pride, and they stoke feelings of nationalistic superiority. In the United States, these pictures create fear (to many) and provide an excuse in Congress to counter China's "military superiority." And they are nothing but silly pictures.

Why would Navy Times feature something as silly as this submarine? I submit: To create fear and scare Congress. (In full disclosure, I'm a Marine Corp officer veteran who thinks we need to sharply reduce the size of the army to sharply increase the size of the Navy,) but still...

Bronc

Lauge said:
Is there any reason (e.g. presented in the Navy Times article) to think that this is an "official" Chinese project and not just fan art?

I'd be astonished beyond the capacity for rational thought if that sub is anything beyond "fan art" produced by someone with little to no engineering knowledge. There is so much wrong with it that there is no reason whatsoever to contemplate a vehicle even vaguely similar to this being built, much less put into service. The hangar bay, for example, would *implode*, probably at a depth not much greater than periscope. The facetted geometry is wrong for stealth, hydrodynamics and pressure.

Orionblamblam said:
...The hangar bay, for example, would *implode*, probably at a depth not much greater than periscope. The facetted geometry is wrong for stealth, hydrodynamics and pressure.

Actually, I think the hanger is meant to be a two level design, with the top, flight deck placed level intended to be 'wet' during submerged operations. Still a crazy boat design overall though.

Here's an idea: lets give it a SPF codename, the 'Fusang' type SSCVGN (purely for reference purposes of course).

Back to the design, when I saw the 'SLBM' tubes, they reminded me more of AA missile silos, strangely enough.

Orionblamblam said:
Lauge said:
Is there any reason (e.g. presented in the Navy Times article) to think that this is an "official" Chinese project and not just fan art?

I'd be astonished beyond the capacity for rational thought if that sub is anything beyond "fan art" produced by someone with little to no engineering knowledge. There is so much wrong with it that there is no reason whatsoever to contemplate a vehicle even vaguely similar to this being built, much less put into service. The hangar bay, for example, would *implode*, probably at a depth not much greater than periscope. The facetted geometry is wrong for stealth, hydrodynamics and pressure.

Your assumptions appear rather strange. Why should the external hull shape indicate anything about how the pressure hull is configured? As to the problems with the hangar, there are no indications about the internal structure. While I think the drawing is nothing more than a doodle, the effort to dismiss it so quickly, without any real indication of how it is designed beyond a superficial examination is rather foolish.

That giant submarine looks like something out of a James Bond movie that the villain uses..."the world isn't enough".

How about a naming contest for these Chinese weapons of doom.

the aircraft carrier: super long twin dong of death.

Huge "Lego" shaped Chinese sub: Big square annihilating shape with everything on it (sounds like something off a Chinese menu)

Those helicopter "stair stepped" landing pads on the aircraft carrier provide great turbulence and obstacle hazards at the same time.

Come to think of it, the 'Fusang' name would probably be a better fit for the star of this thread.

Kadija_Man said:
Your assumptions appear rather strange. Why should the external hull shape indicate anything about how the pressure hull is configured?

There is no good reason for a facetted sub hull.

As to the problems with the hangar, there are no indications about the internal structure.

There are the flat walls and flat "garage doors." If they were cylinders, there's be no need for flat walls.

While I think the drawing is nothing more than a doodle, the effort to dismiss it so quickly, without any real indication of how it is designed beyond a superficial examination is rather foolish.

What's foolish is the assumption that if it's been drawn, then it's a serious study worth of serious study.

Uh-oh...
fortress6_01.jpg

OH NOES!!!
meh.ro4057.jpg

AAAARRRRGH! We're doooooomed!

5580747586_1f0b311f2e.jpg

I found another image of the Chinese catamaran super-carrier. (This one looks a little better--a lot more more credible.) If I'm not mistaken, the US Navy seriously investigated the concept, but rejected it, because it would never get through the Panama Canal.

Bronc

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 306
My sources tell me that the PLAN is serious looking at this design and hope to begin construction in late 2013.

It has two whole aircraft carriers attached and would be capable of water landings, atmospheric flight, as well as interstellar travel. Aside from it's complement of transformable VF-1 Veritech fighters, it would be armed with two main plasma guns as well as smaller batteries of rail guns and missile launchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDF-1_Macross

Attachments

• Sdf-1anime.jpg
    Sdf-1anime.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 272
The Soviet airplane-thingy looks vaguely like something Bruce McCall would do.

What the Hell is the Soviet big tank thingy? Doe it shoot extremely large nerf balls? The suspension system looks like it was taken from a 1930s wind up toy tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalinin_K-7

That "Soviet Airplane thingy" was real. It was a failure though since the engines actually operated at the natural frequency of the aircraft structure and caused the thing to rattle to pieces due to the resultant vibrations. There were attempts made to make it workable by reinforcing the tail booms but the lack of understanding of vibration theory and structural resonance prevented this thing from ever being practical. The guy who designed it was executed too.

The armament pictured on it is somewhat fictional though, and appears to vary with every image I see of it. What's pictured shows a whole bunch of recoilless rifle pods on the wings. I've seen images of the same aircraft with Iowa class battleship 16" Mark 7 turrets on the upper and lower section of the wing.

I'm guessing many people just love to use Photoshop to fix as many guns on that image as possible because hey, the K-7 can't get any more ridiculous right? ;)

AAAdrone said:
That "Soviet Airplane thingy" was real.

No, it wasn't. It's wholly fictional... as is the Nazi flying saucer it was rendered fighting in several images. It's configuration is simialr to the Kalinin, but is much bigger and armed with battleship turrets.

7.jpg

Like the Chinese aircraft carrier, this was just an "art project," but it, like the carrier, seemed to convince many people that it was real. I got the usual round of emails portraying it not only as a real project, but as photos of a real aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom