Chinese Cyberwarfare capabilities - Enter the cyber dragon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The rare earths thing could motivate the US to get back in production. Being in a position of potentially being held hostage by another country is idiotic.

Forgot to put this in:

Forgot to put this in:

LOL! I wasn't aware the US Constitution applied to other countries.

Forgot to put this in:

It applies to non-US persons present in the US. It's not a huge stretch to suggest that it applies to non-US companies doing business in the US.

Forgot to put this in:

It applies to non-US persons present in the US. It's not a huge stretch to suggest that it applies to non-US companies doing business in the US.

If they think we're going to be forced into letting them run wild by our own Constitution I have a bridge for sale. As silly as thinking Sukhoi could try the same tactic to sell us fighter jets.

It's just a matter of how the law was written (which is to say, badly). Identifying certain behaviors or characteristics that would make a company subject to a ban, and then having the DoJ or DoD list Huawei as a company that exhibits those behaviors, would obvious be constitutional. Banning a company by name in legislation may well not be, in the same way that we can't pass a law that says a specific person must pay extra taxes or be sent to jail or whatever. It's a matter of adhering to basic principles of equity and due process.

It's just a matter of how the law was written (which is to say, badly). Identifying certain behaviors or characteristics that would make a company subject to a ban, and then having the DoJ or DoD list Huawei as a company that exhibits those behaviors, would obvious be constitutional. Banning a company by name in legislation may well not be, in the same way that we can't pass a law that says a specific person must pay extra taxes or be sent to jail or whatever. It's a matter of adhering to basic principles of equity and due process.

Yeah that makes sense. Just sounded like another case of someone screaming, "that's unconstitutional!" just because it's something they don't like.

I'm not sure though that they can use that argument, since they are a de facto agent of a foreign power, among other things. They may end up digging an even deeper hole for themselves, not to mention whatever supporters they have left in the United States.

U-turn on Huawei sanctions. Not needed anymore. Apparently.

Something tells me that is going to backfire. Badly.

U-turn on Huawei sanctions. Needed again after all. Apparently.

Worth pointing out that US immigration does precisely the same thing. Both US and Chinese immigration can demand you unlock your phone then take it into a back room to strip your social media usage bare. The only difference here is the Chinese are sometimes forgetting to delete the search app they use afterwards (or are doing it deliberately to spread FUD). And seeing as it installs itself with an icon and you know who put it there, it doesn't really fit classic definitions of malware.

ETA: And for that matter there's all the Western allies such as Saudi targeting dissidents and Western media with NSO Pegasus.

While U.S. Customs and Border Protection can inspect and if necessary impound computers, hard drives, etc., they can't routinely install tracking apps or malware on them.

Can someone explain the purpose of this topic? "Bad things China is alleged to have done?"?

Well, it is primarily about their cyberwarfare capabilities and activities.

The West is silent about this because the public has no need to know. None. Whatever the public knows, or is told, China will know. The technology behind this is unknown and will remain secret for the good of national security. And to avoid helping the enemy. When the enemy is in the dark, he will not know which way to turn. This is standard tactics in this sort of warfare.

The PRC has been nicking designs and data for decades, it is not news. That the west has kept mum on how much is known to be of PRC origin is uncertain but I am sure we only know a fraction. Will they change? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.