China Projecting Power in South and East China Seas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even worse, some of those new destroyers are actually light cruisers.
At 13,000 tons I'd hardly classify them as "light". The last US cruiser that topped that was Long Beach. In fact it's the ONLY modern US cruiser to do so. (Obviously the Zumwalt destroyers do.)

They've turned out 8 Type 055s in less time than we've been trying to figure out what to replace the Ticos with.

If I may do a prediction, the US-China naval war would be the reverse of Pacific War roles: US would play the role of Japan (more powerful & experienced navy, but without the industrial potential to quickly replace the losses), while PRC would play the role of United States of 40s (less experienced, but with almost limitless industrial power to build & replenish).

If I may do a prediction, the US-China naval war would be the reverse of Pacific War roles: US would play the role of Japan (more powerful & experienced navy, but without the industrial potential to quickly replace the losses), while PRC would play the role of United States of 40s (less experienced, but with almost limitless industrial power to build & replenish).

I don't think the circumstances of that era can be applied here but yes, the US is lacking in the shipbuilding department pretty significantly.

Eight Chinese bomber planes and four fighter jets entered the southwestern corner of Taiwan's air defence identification zone on Saturday, and Taiwan's air force deployed missiles to "monitor" the incursion, the island's Defence Ministry said.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Biden issue any strongly worded statements about the recent HK politician round-ups, I hope his administration can send a strong message soon.

The PRC is obviously going to have to be slapped down and hard or they will know no boundaries. The next two years need to be handled firmly or the whole area will be run by the PRC communist party.

I am not sure I see the point in these "current weapons" topics. I am as guilty as anyone in contributing my opinions but the stories are all re-posted items from other sites.
A wholesale removal of discussions and posts on "current weapons" would return the site to its focus on past secret projects of various kinds.
I know it wont happen but I find all the jingoistic lets have WW3 in the Pacific stuff belongs on other sites like Reddit or Twitter.

I don't feel that is what is happening here. Discussions on current military events have a lot to do with prior action and or is a continuation. Current and future weapon development also an extension of past development etc.

One of the really good points about this site is the number of educated people willing to share information. A thread like this enables the reader to access a breadth of news and opinions.

I am not sure I see the point in these "current weapons" topics. I am as guilty as anyone in contributing my opinions but the stories are all re-posted items from other sites.
A wholesale removal of discussions and posts on "current weapons" would return the site to its focus on past secret projects of various kinds.
I know it wont happen but I find all the jingoistic lets have WW3 in the Pacific stuff belongs on other sites like Reddit or Twitter.
Current projects can shed light on past projects.

Current projects can shed light on past projects.
This is a perfect “The Bar” topic in my opinion. There is a lot of amazing information on this site covering topics and technology that I don’t have an interest in.....I don’t read it.

Some time in the next two or thee days, I think we will have a minor collision in the SCS. With all the PRC expansion into areas outside of their influence yet denying right of passage near their waters, they cannot back down or they will lose face to their home grown opposition. At some stage we are likely to see aggressive moves and a physical connection or two. Possibly even a little exchange of ordnance. Why are the PRC, Russia and NK all doing this at pretty much the same time?

Some time in the next two or thee days, I think we will have a minor collision in the SCS. With all the PRC expansion into areas outside of their influence yet denying right of passage near their waters, they cannot back down or they will lose face to their home grown opposition. At some stage we are likely to see aggressive moves and a physical connection or two. Possibly even a little exchange of ordnance. Why are the PRC, Russia and NK all doing this at pretty much the same time?
I'm not sure they are in a position to start moving towards more aggressive action aimed at Western forces operating in the region. Close though.

Because US managed to annoy all three to the point, that all three benefited from weakening the US position. Russia is more ambivalent, because we actually have reasons to be wary about China, too - but America managed to became our more immediate concern, than possible future alteration with China.

Status
Not open for further replies.