Chengdu J-20 news and analysis Part III

First encounter between two hostile fifth gen fighter aircraft in human history.
Can we see the bloody sky in the nearly future?

unfortunatley its paywalled. can you tell us more about what the article said?

First encounter between two hostile fifth gen fighter aircraft in human history.
Can we see the bloody sky in the nearly future?

unfortunatley its paywalled. can you tell us more about what the article said?

I've linked the video interview above.

View: https://youtu.be/GNPo6S5uwZQ?t=2848

Interview with USAF general loaded with classified information: 23 likes.

Arm chair general makes video about how Rafales can kill the F-35: 35 thousand likes.

This is the world we live in.
thanks for the link.
also in that video what I find interesting was how he's a big advocate of the E-7.. the E-3 having too many issues with hydraulics and maintenance

View: https://youtu.be/GNPo6S5uwZQ?t=2848

Interview with USAF general loaded with classified information: 23 likes.

Arm chair general makes video about how Rafales can kill the F-35: 35 thousand likes.

This is the world we live in.
thanks for the link.
also in that video what I find interesting was how he's a big advocate of the E-7.. the E-3 having too many issues with hydraulics and maintenance

E-3 is an older platform so problem is to be expected. But the surprising part is that only four are stationed in West Pacific. I guess Japan and South Korea are doing the heavy lifting?

E-7 with AESA radar will be able to pick up LO targets much more consistently and at far greater range. E-3’s radar is not only PESA but requires the rotodome to be mechanically rotated, which could leave gaps in detection.

These are not compact fighters by any measure. I don't believe China can miniaturize stealth skin components so large skins are necessary. In the stealth realm its easier to build stealth on larger aircraft.

The J-20 looks like they stapled together two J-10's and applied stealth skin. I'm surprised, frankly, they continue to build J-10 with the underside intakes. They could have advanced their progress towards stealth development by giving at least a J-10 prototype a pair of similar but smaller side intakes.

My mistake. I thought they removed the noseboom after envelope expansion. On second thought, they've already finished air data calibration with single seat aircrafts.

Why does J-20 have clear serration on the trailing edge of its wings and canard but F-35 and F-22 both don't have that?

I'm just guessing, others here who know the art much better than I might know but not be able to tell you. Having said that, I think it's because trailing edge materials used on the J-20 are mostly radar transparent and they're relying on the shaping (saw tooth) edges to do most of the work of directing the energy in the saw tooth directions. As opposed to the US, which appears to stick with the main sweep spikes of the leading and trailing edges and is probably using materials that disperse the energy differently? I don't know if what they did has as much to do with LO in and of itself as it does with maintenance of the trailing edge surfaces? Just some guesses on why the differences.

even if I know what are the 611 and 611 Institutes (SAC & CAC), what is Institute 627?

Why does J-20 have clear serration on the trailing edge of its wings and canard but F-35 and F-22 both don't have that?
There are 2 main reasons
First reason is the location of the horizonal stabilizer/canard.
Because small parts of aircraft will generate creeping wave earlier than big part. The small fin/canard will generate creeping much sooner. On F-35 and F-22, the horizonal stabilizer is behind the main wing, so the creeping wave return if generated will be partly blocked by the main wing. On J-22, the canard is in front, so they need away to redirect the creeping wave
1.jpg Capture.PNG

The second reason is platform alignment.
On F-35 and F-22 the leading edge of the main wing have the similar direction as the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer
the trailing edge also have similar direction as the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer
On J-20, the leading edge of the main wing also have the same direction as the leading edge of the canard. But the trailing edge of the canard and the trailing edge of the main wing are different
2.jpg 4.jpg

even if I know what are the 611 and 611 Institutes (SAC & CAC), what is Institute 627?
Harbin Institute of Aerodynamics.
would have been interesting had they been assigned to build the next gen fighter.
Harbin, thus far, only produces helicopters and big planes. like bombers, transports, etc. But no fighter jets or attack aircraft.

There are 2 main reasons
First reason is the location of the horizonal stabilizer/canard.
Because small parts of aircraft will generate creeping wave earlier than big part. The small fin/canard will generate creeping much sooner. On F-35 and F-22, the horizonal stabilizer is behind the main wing, so the creeping wave return if generated will be partly blocked by the main wing. On J-22, the canard is in front, so they need away to redirect the creeping wave
View attachment 682425View attachment 682427

The second reason is platform alignment.
On F-35 and F-22 the leading edge of the main wing have the similar direction as the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer
the trailing edge also have similar direction as the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer
On J-20, the leading edge of the main wing also have the same direction as the leading edge of the canard. But the trailing edge of the canard and the trailing edge of the main wing are different
View attachment 682430View attachment 682431

Actually the trailing edge of the left canard matches the angle of the trailing edge of the right wing, and vice versa, at least as much as the leading edges match. Its hard to tell exact alignment from photos as the canards are rarely flat but at an angle.

Without having members of the team that designed the J-20 on our board, this is just conjecture. And unless the people doing the conjecturing are LO Engineers themselves, then this is basically just guesswork from non-informed amateurs, so I'd refrain from making statements like this. At least preface your ideas with "I think" or something.

Just a critical thought … but how likely is it that the latest image of the J-20AS no. 2032 is a photoshop fake? Either it has a different, much lighter colour scheme than no. 2031 or due to different lighting conditions or it is still the same yellow primer psed to grey.

DC4CC79E-FACC-4510-B698-EF04A13F19E8.jpeg 1D24EAE9-C1EE-4ABD-BF37-2A49DEB555C6.jpeg

^ good eye
to me it seems like the second one
primer that has been color adjsuted

Trailer of a soon to be released Chinese aviation blockbuster a la TopGun featuring the J-20:

View: https://youtu.be/piqTEFLVYnM

More information here:

That thing is nice. For me it's a tie between that and the F-23 (not YF-23) for best looking 5th gen. Back in the 80s when the ATF program was going, but the public hadn't seen anything but concepts, I fully expected the ATF to produce something that looked like the J-20.

That thing is nice. For me it's a tie between that and the F-23 (not YF-23) for best looking 5th gen. Back in the 80s when the ATF program was going, but the public hadn't seen anything but concepts, I fully expected the ATF to produce something that looked like the J-20.
The original concept art for the ATF was for a delta-canard. It was used for the F-22 in the F-29 Retaliator video game on the Amiga.

1660810358890.png

The original concept art for the ATF was for a delta-canard. It was used for the F-22 in the F-29 Retaliator video game on the Amiga.

View attachment 682746
That might be Lockheed's original but it was purely speculative. It was done by Syd Mead for Lockheed. :D

was there any evidence whatsoever of mig involvement? or it's just "everything is a copy of the wright brothers?"