hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

The Romano R-130 was a project of single seat biplane
fighter powered by single engine and had a retractable
landing gear.

Hi all,

for the Romano R.130 look at this: www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3560&highlight=romano++130

Servus Maveric

Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about Etienne Romano's last design for Chantiers Aéronaval Romano; the Romano R-130 fighter which remained a "project". It was never ordered into construction and remained on the drawing board......

The article comes from the 15th March 1967 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Chantiers Aéronavals Romano R-130 biplane fighter project - Aviation Magazine International - N.jpg
    Chantiers Aéronavals Romano R-130 biplane fighter project - Aviation Magazine International - N.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 659
1934-37 fighter at the time of the Morane-Saulnier MS-405? It is written small, but I try to translate a little for our friends speaking not French.

Tophe said:
1934-37 fighter at the time of the Morane-Saulnier MS-405? It is written small, but I try to translate a little for our friends speaking not French.

Learn to read French? I had to :eek:

The article states that the Romano R-130 was designed contemporary with the Loire 250, Dewoitine D.513, Nieuport-Délage NiD160, Morane-Saulnier MS.405, Bloch MB.150, Blériot-SPAD 170 and ANF-Les Mureaux 190. I don't know all of these types, but it seems to me that the Romano R-130 is much more of a lightweight fighter than some of the others; the article doesn't state that it was designed to meet the same specification as the others......

The article mentions the Caudron and ANF-Les Mureaux types of lightweight fighters; looking at the 3-view drawing, it does appear to use the Renault RE12 RO/3 in-line engine of 450 hp......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Allow me to translate the article for you guys:

ROMANO R-13O
by Jean Liron

At the same time the twin-engined R-110 and R-120 were being developed, the design bureau at Chantiers Aéronavals E. Romano drafted a "light" monoplane fighter.

As with the Mureaux workshops and a little later the Caudron company, the Romano workshops had bet, right or wrong, on the four advantages inherent to a fighter that would be lightweight yet endowed with a firing power comparable to that of the so-called heavyweight fighters. These advantages were as follows:
  • A 60% cost reduction for a production item compared to a 100 hp type;
  • A greater possibility of evolving the design, thanks to the total weight, weight balancing and wing loading;
  • Reduced power resulting in reduced specific fuel consumption and reduced engine master torque, and improved view;
  • Narrow dimensions of the airframe resulting in diminished vulnerability.

The Romano 130 was studied in response to a programme from the chief military command published on July 13, 1934 as part of the five-year plan.
It consisted in a land-based interpolation of the R-90, a biplane with a wingspan inferior to six meters (approximately 18 feet).
The gull-shaped upper wing was connected to the top of the fuselage without the help of any strut, and connected to the stepped-back lower wing by N-shaped struts. Each half wing, of rectangular shape, was fitted with an aileron. The pilot was covered by a fully glazed bubble canopy.
In a similar fashion to the carrier-borne Grumman aircraft, the landing gear retracted fully in the fuselage sides.
The engine chosen was the 450 hp inverted Renault 12 RO-3, the same used on the R-110. A three-bladed Ratier propeller with electrically-operated variable-pitch extended ahead of the engine. A 210-liter armored tank was to contain ethylated fuel.
Capable of attaining a 10,000-meter (30,000-foot) ceiling, it was meant to fly up to 480 kms per hour, with a 320 kms/hour cruise speed and a landing speed situated below 100 kms/hour thanks to flaps located below the lower wing.
The aircraft was to have a steel-tube structure entirely covered with light alloys.
The competitors of the Romano 130 were the Loire 250, the Dewoitine 513, the Nieuport-Delage 160, the Morane-Saulnier 405, the Bloch 150, the Blériot-Spad 710 and the ANF-Les Mureaux 190.
The Loire 250 and the Nieuport 160 never materialized; the Dewoitine 513 failed to reach the required speed; the Bloch 150, at least in its initial configuration, proved too heavy; the Blériot-Spad 170 was accidentally destroyed on June 15, 1937; as for the Mureaux, it had to be abandoned late in 1937 due to its engine's tendency to burn more oil than fuel!

As no official order had been placed for it, the R-130 did not proceed beyond the design stage.
Although the fully sealed cockpit, retractable gear, intrados flaps, supercharged engine and easy construction could have placed it in the same league as the modern fighters of its time, the biplane layout (also used for the Spad 710) and light weight (also a feature of the Mureaux 190) made too much of a difference.
The grand winner of the said programme was the Morane Saulnier 405, which was chosen to take over as the main French pursuit type.
After the state took control of all aircraft companies, the SNCASE retained only one small design bureau at Argenteuil.
The project that received the R-130 designation was therefore the last design emanating from Chantiers Aéronavals Etienne Romano.

Initially published in Aviation Magazine International, March 15, 1967
Translated from the French by Stéphane Beaumort.

Hi all

From "Aviation Magazine n° 917 may first 1986

Here is the Romano r 130 project fighter.
with this project Romano studies the r 131
with Wright Cyclone engine for Spanish
Who know more ?,

Attachments

• romano ro 130.jpg
    romano ro 130.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 418
Great find my dear Toura;

but we must merge those topics;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12549.msg123048.html#msg123048

Hi jens

Well ! My question is :
Is it true that Spain ordered the r 131
Is it true that Spain pay for this future plane
Could we see a 3 views of this modified plane ???
THANKS AND BYE

Hello Jens.

I thank you for your answer.

Yes I know the site you give me.
I don't thing that I could have more answer !!.....
I thank you for the drawing (I thing it's your's)
Thanks again...and I will look at an other plane!!!!!!!
PAUL

toura said:
Hi jens

Well ! My question is :
Is it true that Spain ordered the r 131
Is it true that Spain pay for this future plane

My dear Toura,

that aircraft would be ordered for Spain,but here is the reason,why it didn't
participat in Spainish War.

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/didnt.html

As I understand touras questions, he is looking for a confirmation, that the R-131
actually was ordered right from the drawing board by Spain (as it wasn''t flown in
this guise before). The statement on the linked site (linked before by me, too and
confirmed by toura, that he knows it) so isn't really helpful, as it just tells us, what
is obvious.

Hi all
Yes Jens ! and I've founded the answer !
but in French, and, from "Aviation magazine"
Just a project...
A contract : 6 millions francs........
no engine........
and political reasons ........
NO PLANE !!!!
Bye

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 287
From Avions 212,