Broneavtomobil

flitzer flash

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
i want to know if anyone has any information regarding the missing BA ( Broneavtomobil)
aka
BA-1, BA-2, BA-4, BA-5, BA-7, BA-8, BA-9, BA-12 through BA-19, BA-21 though BA-26, BA-28, BA-29, BA-31 through BA-63 and anyhting after BA-64

the PB amphibious armored cars PB-1, PB-2, PB-3, PB-5, PB-6, PB-6, PB-9, PB-10...etc

the Dyrenkov D-1 through D-7, D-9, D-10, D-11, D-14

the BAV-1 and BAV-2 armored cars

BAA-1 and BAA-2 armored cars
as well as the
BAD-1 and BAD-2 amphibious armored cars

thanks

"Missing" from what? Most of these vehicles are fairly easily researched. What is it, exactly, that you are trying to accomplish with your query?

As for 'missing', I suspect that you are attempted to back-fill ad hoc Soviet designation systems with a complete number set. That may seem to be rational but it is a poor research practice if historical accuracy is the intended outcome.

The Soviet Medium and Heavy Armoured Cars sequence ran BA-I (not "BA-1") through BA-11D. So, no "BA-12 through BA-19".

The Light Armoured Car sequence ran BA-20 through BA-23 (although the latter is usually referred to as the LB-23 (for 'Lavrenty Beria'). Thus, we can also prune "BA-21 though BA-26".

The much earlier BA-27 had been numbered for the year of its inception (in other words, that number 27 was not part of any sequential designation system). So, numbers 24, 25, and 26 were skipped as were 28 and 29.

The one-off BA-30 was a half-track conversion/evolution of the BA-20. There were no following designs numbered in that sequence. And, perhaps because of the disconnect within the BA-2x series, the next design adopt a number from it development designation - the GAZ Izdeliye-64-125. And so we jump from BA-30 to BA-64 with nothing in between. So, no "BA-31 through BA-63" either.

I'll leave the rest to you ...

The Soviet Medium and Heavy Armoured Cars sequence ran BA-I (not "BA-1") through BA-11D. So, no "BA-12 through BA-19".
thanks.. i am asking cause i was on a livejournal site ( either russian or ukrainian ( it wasnt georgian due to different typeset used)) and they mentioned and had pics of many many unrecognised soviet armored trucks from Pre-WW2, WW2, and Post WW2 inclding a BA-13, BA-24, BA-40

sadly this is from years ago when i had a very short term interst in the horrible soviets

i dont use wiki as it is more lies ( esp concerning 1030s to 1040s Germany esp WW2) then facts so it is a poor source of any "FACTS"

thanks for your assistance

... inclding a BA-13, BA-24, BA-40 ...

I have no clue about any 'BA-13' but I suspect that, when such 'designations' are not simple typos, they are artifacts of poor-quality translations or transliterations. Such jumbled and muddled alphabet-soup routinely appear in many otherwise reputable-looking online sources.

Garbled translations/transliterations abound. A topwar.ru page translated into Turkish says "... kalibreli bir 64 mm DShK makineli tüfekle donanmış BA-12,7D ..." suggesting both a 'BA-12' variant (possibly associated with the diesel-powered BA-7D). And, apparently, Degtyaryov and Shpagin also contrived to scale up their DShK design to an imposing 64 mm calibre. All complete twaddle, of course.

Somehow, the translation process has managed to turn "BA-64D armoured car, armed with a large-caliber 12,7 mm DShK machine gun" into the gibberish quoted in the above paragraph. The same phenomenon occurs in topwar.ru's Chinese translation of the same page - resulting in "(改装BA-12,7D)" or '(Modified BA-12,7D)'. And this is but one example.

Plenty of RU sources - even armoured museums - list a 'BA-24'. Invariably, it is a typo for BA-64. You will sometimes even see 'BA-24-125' [sic] for the BA-64 development vehicles.

The only 'BA-4x' entry that I have seen is for the so-called BA-43B. However, that 'designation' was based on that BA-64B derivative's SG-43 armament. Even there, you see garbled translations about the BA-43B ... eg: listing its Gorunov armament as an 'SG-64' [sic]. Anyway, that BA-43B was not part of any 'BA-4x' sequence. So, a 'BA-40' seems improbable.

I have no clue about any 'BA-13' but I suspect that, when such 'designations' are not simple typos, they are artifacts of poor-quality translations or transliterations. Such jumbled and muddled alphabet-soup routinely appear in many otherwise reputable-looking online sources.

Garbled translations/transliterations abound. A topwar.ru page translated into Turkish says "... kalibreli bir 64 mm DShK makineli tüfekle donanmış BA-12,7D ..." suggesting both a 'BA-12' variant (possibly associated with the diesel-powered BA-7D). And, apparently, Degtyaryov and Shpagin also contrived to scale up their DShK design to an imposing 64 mm calibre. All complete twaddle, of course.

Somehow, the translation process has managed to turn "BA-64D armoured car, armed with a large-caliber 12,7 mm DShK machine gun" into the gibberish quoted in the above paragraph. The same phenomenon occurs in topwar.ru's Chinese translation of the same page - resulting in "(改装BA-12,7D)" or '(Modified BA-12,7D)'. And this is but one example.

Plenty of RU sources - even armoured museums - list a 'BA-24'. Invariably, it is a typo for BA-64. You will sometimes even see 'BA-24-125' [sic] for the BA-64 development vehicles.

The only 'BA-4x' entry that I have seen is for the so-called BA-43B. However, that 'designation' was based on that BA-64B derivative's SG-43 armament. Even there, you see garbled translations about the BA-43B ... eg: listing its Gorunov armament as an 'SG-64' [sic]. Anyway, that BA-43B was not part of any 'BA-4x' sequence. So, a 'BA-40' seems improbable.
thanks much appreciated i guess somewhere deep inside my german brain i hoped the soviets did their designations logically but they do designate tank prototypes built to test incrimental changes as completely new vehicles ( obj 230, obj 231, obj 232...etc)