• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

British LO/FOAS FOA FCAC

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
P.1240 Stealth ASTOVL 1 x vectored thrust reverse engine installation * 1987 Swept wing with tip fins
Hi,

Attachments

sienar

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
From the above source
"The P1237 was another RALS concept while the P1240 was a semi-stealth design with a reverse-flow Pegasus engine and dorsal intakes. A centreline mounted ‘clang box’ exhausted the core flow for vertical flight while the fan exhausted aft through two vectoring nozzles in the wing roots. In wing-borne flight the core flow was directed through an afterburning rear nozzle. It also featured a butterfly tail, highly swept wing with tip-mounted fins and internal weapons carriage.

Stealth also led to internal weapons carriage being used on the RALS equipped P1241, which featured a delta wing and inward canted fins aft of the dorsal intakes. Both projects featured a blended wing/body layout with large wing root extensions to enhance maneuverability."

p1240 rivet.pngp1241.png

Sundog

Reaction score
OMG! You guys finally found the "Testors" F-19! (P.1241). :eek::p

Seriously, though, thanks for finding these designs. Especially the P.1240, even though those wing tip controls would have made it excessively heavy. It just looks really cool!

harrier

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
From the above source
"The P1237 was another RALS concept while the P1240 was a semi-stealth design with a reverse-flow Pegasus engine and dorsal intakes. A centreline mounted ‘clang box’ exhausted the core flow for vertical flight while the fan exhausted aft through two vectoring nozzles in the wing roots. In wing-borne flight the core flow was directed through an afterburning rear nozzle. It also featured a butterfly tail, highly swept wing with tip-mounted fins and internal weapons carriage.

Stealth also led to internal weapons carriage being used on the RALS equipped P1241, which featured a delta wing and inward canted fins aft of the dorsal intakes. Both projects featured a blended wing/body layout with large wing root extensions to enhance maneuverability."

View attachment 620305View attachment 620306
These were very minimal 'quick looks' at things like how to put in a backwards engine etc. One of them says 'as seen on Tomorrow's World'; apparently a manager saw the episode and asked for a drawing.

Google now pulls images out of SAE papers but be aware the SAE crack down on such things.

shedofdread

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Seeing this thread on FOAS has reminded me of something I heard about some years ago..... Does anyone have a scan of the 3 engined (if you know the picture, you'll know about this ;) ) Hercules-based missile launching FOAS concept?

uk 75

Reaction score
The new Chris Gibson book "Typhoon to Typhoon" gives a detailed description of a BAe P195 project with stovl capability that fits in this. Sadly no illustration

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The new Chris Gibson book "Typhoon to Typhoon" gives a detailed description of a BAe P195 project with stovl capability that fits in this. Sadly no illustration
Thank you my dear UK 75 for the Info,

and did you mean BAe P.95 ?.

uk 75

Reaction score
Er yes, sorry I hadn't got the book in front of me