Boxes of interesting BSE/Rolls-Royce material from Filton....

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells (http://www.aviation-bookshop.com) has several boxes of material sent to them from RR Filton. This includes flyers, brochures and project specifications for various engines including Orpheus, Viper, Pegasus, Olympus, M45, Adour, RB199, various civil designs, and even a few EJ200 items. There are booklets on various obscure engine projects, mostly civil.

I looked for anything interesting; theres a great Olympus booklet but its for the civil Concorde version, not the TSR2 one (sorry Joe). Much of the more interesting material (Bristol Siddeley preliminary engine specification booklets with lots of technical details) is on turboshafts and civilian turbofans. RB199 & EJ200 stuff included nothing particularly interesting (probably still classified/restricted) though there were two brochures detailing work done on installing EJ200 engines in the JAS-39 Gripen including an engine installation drawing.

I came away with only a single item; a reasonably fat Rolls-Royce brochure "V/STOL: Experience & Capability" from June 1988 which has quite a lot of cool pictures & info in it.

I'm sure anyone more interested in civil engines or with a burning desire to know more about the Gnome, Viper, or Orpheus would find lots of things.

overscan said:
RB199 & EJ200 stuff included nothing particularly interesting (probably still classified/restricted) though there were two brochures detailing work done on installing EJ200 engines in the JAS-39 Gripen including an engine installation drawing.

Now that sounds interesting!

Of course, being from Filton, there probably isn't much on R-R projects like the Medway, RB.153 "half scale Spey," and RB.203 "Trent?"

I wonder if any of the material will be posted in their online catalog?

I'll admit to considerable interest in 'most anything on the Pegasus or other vstol engines. What's the best way to find out what's available?

overscan said:
The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells (http://www.aviation-bookshop.com) has several boxes of material sent to them from RR Filton. This includes flyers, brochures and project specifications for various engines including Orpheus, Viper, Pegasus, Olympus, M45, Adour, RB199, various civil designs, and even a few EJ200 items. There are booklets on various obscure engine projects, mostly civil.

I came away with only a single item; a reasonably fat Rolls-Royce brochure "V/STOL: Experience & Capability" from June 1988 which has quite a lot of cool pictures & info in it.

Hi Overscan,

I'm a big fan of V/STOL and the RR Pegasus. Any chance we could get to see some scans from the brochure you picked up. I dun see these boxes being lifted on the website of The Aviation Bookshop, how do I relay my interest to them and did you happen to see other interesting V/STOL stuff.

Well, I don't think there was anything terribly interesting on VSTOL engines & Pegasus in particular except the brochure I picked up. As I said before the good stuff was mostly civil, or very old engines like Viper, Gnome, etc.