Boulton-Paul P.88

merlin

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
In answer to the spec that led to the Westland Whirlwind, there were other aircraft designs evaluated.
According to BSP the Air Ministry wanted to order five prototypes two Westland, two Boulton Paul (the 'A' model powered by a Hercules engine, and the 'B' model by a Vulture).
However, the Treasury would only provide funds for two - so only the Westland aircraft were built.

Anybody got any sources - apart from BSP, on likely performance figures, especially as the early Hercules (on the Beaufighter) wasn't 1500 hp. ??
If it had been built, seems likely to me more time to get the cannon problem sorted out, as compared with those in the Spitfires/Hurricanes.

Nearly ten years for an answer but here goes. As you correctly stated Merlin, the Hercules I had a power output of 1,290 hp (960 kW), which was only marginally increased to 1,375 hp (1025 kW) in the Hercules II. Strangely Alec Brew in the Putnam's BP Aircraft since 1915 quoted a power output of 1,500hp for the Hercules I in the P.88 entry. Anyway the performance figures, I would guess, not having BSP myself, will probably correlate with the Putnam's, with a max speed of 337 mph (542 km/h) (A variant) or 358 mph (576 km/h) (B variant), both figures at a height of 15,000 ft (4572m). Max rate of climb, 3,500ft/min (1066.8m/min) for the A variant, but only 3400ft/min (1036 m/min) for the Vuture powered B variant. Also as an aside, BP also submitted their P.89 twin-engined design, which was powered by twin Kestrels when it was realised that the Hercules or the Vulture may not provide enough power for the performance expected. Whether BP ever put any thought to later submitting a Peregrine powered twin is pure supposition.

Anyway the performance figures, I would guess, not having BSP myself,

They pretty much co-relate with what Brew provides in his Putnam BP book, although no max speeds are given, just fuel quantities, rates of climb and service ceiling. There is a line drawing of the P.88A and a photograph of a model of the Vulture engined P.88B looking for all the world like an upgunned Defiant with its armament in the wings, if that's of any help.

Hi! I got these pictures by internet, but unfortunately I lost the site. Sorry.

"Two versions were offered. The P.88A, powered by a Hercules HE-ISM radial engine and the P.88B, which used the Rolls Royce Vulture, a new 24 cylinder 'X' shaped engine, using four cylinder blocks from the Rolls Royce Peregrine, a development of the Kestral."

Attachments

• Boulton-Paul_P88-02.jpg
    Boulton-Paul_P88-02.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 145
  • P88.JPG
    P88.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Dat's da fella right there. The very same images that appear in BSP.

Hi!

Attachments

• TXXJBM.jpg
    TXXJBM.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Rolls Royce Vulture.jpg
    Rolls Royce Vulture.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
There are plenty of Hercules' that survive, but alas no Vultures and no aircraft that were fitted with one. Of course, there is only one surviving original Defiant, the RAF Museum's N1671.

Attachments

• N1671.jpg
    N1671.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 60

Attachments

• 71RHjy+ZPfL.jpg
    71RHjy+ZPfL.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 61+VVdfjqSL.jpg
    61+VVdfjqSL.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 61no3tKCA1L.jpg
    61no3tKCA1L.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi
[

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an 'extant' Vulture. In the RRHT at Derby. It's tired and shagged out. It is a dead Vulture.
Oh, that's interesting. Is it complete? Would love to see a photo - it's a fascinating engine. I also vaguely remember the RRHT at Hillington having the remains of a Vulture from a Dumbarton built B.20 flying boat that crashed as well.