Boulton Paul P.100

martinletts

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Website
www.xplanes3d.com
Gents.

Thought you might like to see how this one turned out - a few examples attached (full set on my site) . I had a lot of fun and challenges with this. Thanks to everyone who helped with references and suggested reading (I now need another bookshelf).

Cheers

Attachments

• Boulton-Paul-P100-01.jpg
    Boulton-Paul-P100-01.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Boulton-Paul-P100-02.jpg
    Boulton-Paul-P100-02.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Boulton-Paul-P100-03.jpg
    Boulton-Paul-P100-03.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 304
That is really very cool. But I can't help but ask why would a low level attack plane pilot be wearing an oxygen mask? And what is the strange looking German flying wing dogfighting with the BP in one of the pictures?

Hi Abraham.

Very observant of you (or unobservant of me). I would like to say I chose the pilot deliberately because he looked more aggressive or there was a special requirement with this aeroplane - however I can't: he just happened to be the pilot I had to hand!

The German adversary is the Horten Ho X Volksjager.

http://www.xplanes3d.com/Projects/Ho_X/webpages/HoX_thumbs.html

I just LOVE that P.100. Didn't know about that project... but then again there are just so many British aircraft projects that I don't know about!!! Congratulations, it really makes me want to see more of this odd-looking beauty.

Hi.

It's a interesting one isn't it! I'd only seen (what used to be called) 'artist's impression' in the Tony Buttler book and a very nice profile by Peter but, like you, I was oblivious to it before.

It has a brother - the P.99, a twin-boomed version based around the same fuselage which is a liitle more conventional.

I think it looks 'comically aggresive' - a bit like an A-10 Warthog (ground attack too of course) - but you wouldn't laugh at it to its face!

It's the Luftwaffe'as turn next (I take them in turns USAF / RAF / Luftwaffe). I might have the P.100 doing a 'guest appearance' in the next project - rocket attack on a German airfield maybe?

Thanks for the kind words.

martinletts said:
Hi.

It's a interesting one isn't it! I'd only seen (what used to be called) 'artist's impression' in the Tony Buttler book and a very nice profile by Peter but, like you, I was oblivious to it before.

It has a brother - the P.99, a twin-boomed version based around the same fuselage which is a liitle more conventional.

I think it looks 'comically aggresive' - a bit like an A-10 Warthog (ground attack too of course) - but you wouldn't laugh at it to its face!

It's the Luftwaffe'as turn next (I take them in turns USAF / RAF / Luftwaffe). I might have the P.100 doing a 'guest appearance' in the next project - rocket attack on a German airfield maybe?

Thanks for the kind words.

In my opinion , the drawings depict an airplane of 198 Sqn.
The small size of the fuselage invasion stripes belongs to the airplanes used by the 2nd Tactical Force in the winter of 1944-45.
The main target would be the Rheine airfield, home of the Me 262 at that time.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.military/msg/c5eb8f78f05b8c6a

http://www.hawkertempest.se/fairbanks.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheine_Air_Base

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Rheine&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Rheine,+Germany&ei=IfCjS8b6KJKTjAf5_tWQCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA4Q8gEwAA

Attachments

• Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 198
Thanks for the background info - very interesting indeed. I find the jet / piston conflicts fascinating - a watershed in aerial warfare.

That's right I chose 198 Sq for the Typhoon associations (I like the kills stencilling too).

The thick-thin underwing stripes were I believe to stop friendly fire as the Typhoon (from below and at speed) was sometimes mistaken for an Fw 190 A. These were used up until Feb 1945 and were peculiar to that type. I don't think anyone would confuse the P.100 with anything - unless it was flying backwards!

Another wonderful bit of work Martin.
Absolutely splendid.

Cheers
Peter
;D

Cheers Peter! I had fun with this one.

The Luftwaffe are next - but not just yet, I have a lengthening list of things to do around the house now!

Best regards.

Martin

Abraham Gubler said:
That is really very cool. But I can't help but ask why would a low level attack plane pilot be wearing an oxygen mask? And what is the strange looking German flying wing dogfighting with the BP in one of the pictures?

Oxygen masks were routinely worn for more than just high altitude work. If there was a danger of carbon monoxide leaking into the cockpit, problems with gun fumes and of course, it just happens to be where the pilot's microphone is located in RAF flying equipment....

rickshaw said:
Abraham Gubler said:

Oxygen masks were routinely worn for more than just high altitude work. If there was a danger of carbon monoxide leaking into the cockpit, problems with gun fumes and of course, it just happens to be where the pilot's microphone is located in RAF flying equipment....

Good point - I would imaging that if both hands were busy (trying not to get killed etc.) and wanting to stay in radio contact, wearing the mask would be a god idea!
I would have thought the smell and fumes of aviation fuel / oil / cordite would have an influence on that decision too.

However, I think I will have to model a pilot sans mask.