Books from Harpia-Publishing

Amazon is showing Chinese Air Power in the 20th Century: Rise of the Red Dragon coming out on 2 February, 2020. It includes mention of designs that were abandoned or rejected. The time frame covered starts with 1949.

While the book is an exceptional history of the PLAAF from 1949 onward, my complaint with the book is the total lack of photographs or other illustrations (in the absence of photos, color drawings would have been fine) of any of the aircraft of the pre-PLAAF period. After all, the 20th century was nearly half over when the PLAAF was established!

While the book is an exceptional history of the PLAAF from 1949 onward, my complaint with the book is the total lack of photographs or other illustrations (in the absence of photos, color drawings would have been fine) of any of the aircraft of the pre-PLAAF period. After all, the 20th century was nearly half over when the PLAAF was established!

In principle I agree with you, but in order to concentrate on the PLAAF's 70th anniversary as explained - I refer to "A History of Chinese Aviation - Encyclopedia of Aircraft and Aviation in China Until 1949" from Lennart Andersson:

In principle I agree with you, but in order to concentrate on the PLAAF's 70th anniversary as explained - I refer to "A History of Chinese Aviation - Encyclopedia of Aircraft and Aviation in China Until 1949" from Lennart Andersson:

I actually have that book and it is a good one. Since it ends at 1949, it piggy-backs well with your book.

Another review of Deino's latest book at the latest issue of The Aviation Historian. Congrats! :cool:

Attachments

• TAH 31, p120.jpg
    TAH 31, p120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • TAH31_COVER.jpg
    TAH31_COVER.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
It amazes me that the AMX never got a proper name. After all, "AMX" was the abbreviation for the development program, along the same lines as ATF, JSF, UTTAS or VFX. All those aircraft got proper names once built, so why not the AMX? Well, it will undoubtedly be the definitive book on the aircraft.

Design develpment and unbuilt relatives will be covered in detail?

It amazes me that the AMX never got a proper name. After all, "AMX" was the abbreviation for the development program, along the same lines as ATF, JSF, UTTAS or VFX. All those aircraft got proper names once built, so why not the AMX? Well, it will undoubtedly be the definitive book on the aircraft.

The AMX was supposed to have a name that meant both the same in Brazilian and Italian. At least that was what I was told at RAF Luechars airshow when one was on display many years ago.

The AMX was supposed to have a name that meant both the same in Brazilian and Italian. At least that was what I was told at RAF Luechars airshow when one was on display many years ago.
Obviously, that makes sense, just as the British and French got to agree on Jaguar. Another weapon that never got a proper name was the AMRAAM missile.

The AMX has a name, at least with the Italian Air Force: Ghibli.
That's the first time I've heard that; it's obviously not publicized much, because all I've ever heard is "AMX". I wonder how that might sound in Portuguese?

Same here Viggen_37, I wonder if the Brazilian Air Force has an unofficial name for their AMX's like the Italian Air Force.

Really hope they will put something about development of the IDF. Concept, proposals etc.
In the West we have "only" Jon Lake articles on magazines!

Any idea of when the AMX and Taiwanese ones are due? I see no mention of them on Harpia's website.

Really hope they will put something about development of the IDF. Concept, proposals etc.
In the West we have "only" Jon Lake articles on magazines!

I don't think so even if I agree with you, but that book(let) - in fact it will be a small volume - covers only the RoCAF today in a similar structure like my books on the PLAAF, PLANA and AA.

Any idea of when the AMX and Taiwanese ones are due? I see no mention of them on Harpia's website.

Actually not 100% sure, but usually in autumn the regular books will be published (this year the one on the USMC) and in April the smaller volumes. So I expect it in April 2021.

Answering my own question:

The Taiwanese one is already available and the AMX one is reported as being available 19 May 2022.

It's autumn again, and the new releases are approaching ... here is a preview of "Modern South Korean Air Power" available at @HarpiaP's Website.

Looks very promising.

https://harpia-publishing.com/galle...kMeJuMGHNjTj_SOVgwRPxQp2NUZXOC1SIodd-JSElMZt4

View attachment 666206

And sorry that I forgot to add the second release for October: A first in a new series of so called "Strategic handbooks" written by Dan Gattinger covering Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles | Current Types, Ordnance and Operations:

Here the already usual animated preview:

https://www.harpia-publishing.com/galleries/StratUCAV/index.html

1635176940893.png

Sorry ... I'm a bit late but here the two new books from Harpia for this year:

1. Cuban MiGs | The Defenders of Castro's Air Force

1664199235965.png

2. AMX | Brazilian-Italian Fighter-Bomber

1664199315312.png

... and a preview for two more already soon available books:

1664199438842.png

1664199428015.png

... and for a third, which is in the final stages please look here:

Deino

Finally,
1f973.png
... here's my latest work, the "Red Dragon 'Flankers' | China's Prolific 'Flanker' Family" and as usual, the following link shows an animated preview! Hope you like it

1665674847699.png
1665674855518.png

Question for @Deino : How much overlap is there between Rise of the Red Dragon and your earlier "Dragon's Wings?" (which I have).