• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing Vertol BV-235 (AAH contender)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boeing-Vertol for Army AAH competition, 1973

Mockup only.

Attachments

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Has anyone got a 3-view line drawing of the Boeing-Vertol AAH proposal???

Regards
Pioneer

Iranian F-14A

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The Boeing-Vertol model looks as if it shares components with the Boeing YUH-61A.Maybe they did it like Bell when they took the Huey and made the Cobra.Kept the engine and tailboom,but made the cockpit more for the gunship role and deleted the troop cabin.Maybe its me,but just something I noticed.

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Iranian F-14A said:
The Boeing-Vertol model looks as if it shares components with the Boeing YUH-61A.Maybe they did it like Bell when they took the Huey and made the Cobra.Kept the engine and tailboom,but made the cockpit more for the gunship role and deleted the troop cabin.Maybe its me,but just something I noticed.
Yes, you are right. Both helicopters shared some avionics, rotor system, shaft, many parts of tail etc.

rousseau

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Begging some front view of Boeing AAH project

The Boeing AAH project is very interesting, the mockup of it seem to show a skew cockpit?? or I am wrong?? ??? ???

Tophe

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
In the last “Fana de l’Aviation” (#478, Sept.2009) is an article about the Bell YAH-63. Among other AAH 1972 proposals are presented:
- of course the Hughes YAH-64 Apache (do you pronounce Apatshee? The French pronounce it Apash…)
- the photographed! unknown Boeing 235
- the Sikosky S.71
- the Lockheed CL-1700
My main questions are:
1/ Where can I find other pictures (or a view from above) of the Boeing 235 (Google does not find it either with Boeing-235 or Vertol-235)?
2/ As it is absent from Aerofiles at http://aerofiles.com/_boe2.html and from the “full list of rotorcraft” at http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/full_list.html – is the photograph a mock-up project ant not prototype at all?
3/ Is the cockpit of this 235 asymmetric? With a starboard front windshield and a port rear windshield?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mystery solved :)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,532.0.html

See three view here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,532.msg63897.html#msg63897

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Please Tophe do not post scans from Le Fana current issue, it's unfair for those who work hard to bring us that superb mag month after month.

Le Fana is Unbuilt Project Lover's last great magazine alive, let's try to help it ;)

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Thanks for your answers. And please accept my apologies:
- I performed the search tool but the "235" code appeared on the (linked) picture not in the text so the search tool did not find it. Sorry.
- Sorry also for the picture: this was not saying "no need to buy it: I give you all*", this was saying "look an example of wonderful things inside"... This is free advertisement rather than stealing according to me, but I let you judge.
* I respected the 600 pixels width maximum (from 1600 scanned, to 499 down with Photopaint).

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
This is free advertisement rather than stealing according to me, but I let you judge.
Well, it can be viewed as free ad for sure but some publishers don't agree. So the forum staff decided to prevent any confussion and express full support to writers and publishers.

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
overscan said:
See three view here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,532.msg63897.html#msg63897
Thanks, I have focused on the asymmetric cockpit for my asymmetric-aircraft site
http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Asymm_addition.htm
If you have other rare asymmetric, I would be pleased to discover them.
Thanks again.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Tophe, there is a flipped-over caption right in the middle of your scan. Was that intentional?

alanqua

I dunno if she's the wife of my life
Reaction score
Hi,

I put my drawing of the Boeing 235 made for the article. The top view posted in this thread makes me realize that my drawing was not precised enough.
I believe we should have made a 3 view plan but that's too late now...

Regards
Alain

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Alain - I resized it down a bit, it was a bit too large to see easily even on my high res laptop :)

alanqua

I dunno if she's the wife of my life
Reaction score
ok, thanks.
originally, we wanted to make a 3 4 view of it to show the unusual cockpit. But I'm not comfortable with 3 /4 views like that...

Regards
Alain

Michel Van

Reaction score
not bad Alain

that the drawing is not precised enough, dosend mater
it show clear this odd Cockpit
by the way how was cockpit arraignments,
pilot in front and Gunner on side ?

yasotay

Reaction score
Even had Boeing been short listed for demonstration the unique seating arrangement would have been a hard sell with a conservative organization like Army Aviation. Like Boeings JSF entry the ugly factor would have played against it. My opinion of course.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
yasotay said:
Even had Boeing been short listed for demonstration the unique seating arrangement would have been a hard sell with a conservative organization like Army Aviation. Like Boeings JSF entry the ugly factor would have played against it. My opinion of course.
The Apache ain't exactly a looker. :) Come to think of it the Cheyenne looked pretty dorky on the ground too (looked SWEET with the gear up though IMO).

yasotay

Reaction score
yasotay said:
I agree that none of them are sexy, however the offset cockpit is VERY radical for Army Aviation. Army Aviation is not into radical.

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
What were the advantages to the cockpit configuration on the Boeing-Vertol aircraft? Better view for the guy in the back seat?

yasotay

Reaction score
Colonial-Marine said:
What were the advantages to the cockpit configuration on the Boeing-Vertol aircraft? Better view for the guy in the back seat?
Pretty much. Except for his right front quadrant

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Tailspin Turtle said:
Boeing AAH
Ok thanks to Tailspin Turtle's posting of the 3-view drawing of the Boeing-Vertol AAH, and a very interesting book titled 'Helicopter Gunships: Deadly Combat Weapon Systems' by Wayne Mutza (a book I can highly recommend, with plenty of pictures, mockups and information we have been looking for in 'Secret Projects' helicopter forums!), the Boeing-Vertol AAH design is in fact the Boeing-Vertol Model 235

Regards
Pioneer

mil

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Pioneer is there in this book are new photos of Boeing-Vertol Model 235 as posted on this site.