• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing Vertol BV-160 tilt-rotor aircraft

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
And may be it was this aircraft.
 

Attachments

  • Boeing-Vertol tilt-rotor rescue aircraft.JPG
    Boeing-Vertol tilt-rotor rescue aircraft.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 546

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
Finally,

the Boeing Vertol Model-160.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD904089&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf
 

Attachments

  • 160   1.JPG
    160 1.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 483
  • 160   2.JPG
    160 2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 472

Tailspin Turtle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
699
Reaction score
122
Website
www.tommythomason.com
My guess is that there are three different Boeing Vertol tilt rotor designs above. The first small crude picture resembles the 222, which was Boeing's proposal for the NASA-Army Tilt Rotor Research Aircraft program that resulted in the Bell Helicopter XV-15. It combined a Boeing tilt rotor wing/propulsion system with a Mitsubishi MU-2 fuselage. The combat rescue artists concept is similar to the 222 but probably a bit larger with a new fuselage. The wind tunnel picture appears to be a much larger transport-class aircraft with a T tail and is presumably the BV 160 since the caption identifies it as such.
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,227
Reaction score
661
Tailspin Turtle said:
My guess is that there are three different Boeing Vertol tilt rotor designs above. The first small crude picture resembles the 222, which was Boeing's proposal for the NASA-Army Tilt Rotor Research Aircraft program that resulted in the Bell Helicopter XV-15. It combined a Boeing tilt rotor wing/propulsion system with a Mitsubishi MU-2 fuselage. The combat rescue artists concept is similar to the 222 but probably a bit larger with a new fuselage. The wind tunnel picture appears to be a much larger transport-class aircraft with a T tail and is presumably the BV 160 since the caption identifies it as such.

I would tend to think like you, except the first pic is ALSO labeled "Model 160"... Mind you, there could be a whole array of very different-looking designs under the same generic project number, Boeing are very good at that...
 

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
14,505
Reaction score
4,246
Stargazer2006 said:
Mind you, there could be a whole array of very different-looking designs under the same generic project number, Boeing are very good at that...

You can say that again!
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,227
Reaction score
661
Finally, a clear picture of what the Vertol 160 (Boeing BV-160) design looked like. Basically, a tilt-rotor with a Chinook-like fuselage.

Source: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720018375_1972018375.pdf
 

Attachments

  • Vertol 160.gif
    Vertol 160.gif
    60.1 KB · Views: 487

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
Hi,


and from AIAA;


http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/3.60239
 

Attachments

  • 160-1.png
    160-1.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 160-2.png
    160-2.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 62

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
885
So BV 160 looks like what happens if you take a CH-47 fuselage and put a tilt rotor on it.
 

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
yasotay said:
So BV 160 looks like what happens if you take a CH-47 fuselage and put a tilt rotor on it.


I think so,my dear Yasotay.
 

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
Hi,

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19680624/77/2
 

Attachments

  • 1.png
    1.png
    726.7 KB · Views: 60

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,787
Reaction score
4,941
Hi,

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/735633.pdf
 

Attachments

  • 1.png
    1.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
Top