Boeing Truss-Braced Wing concepts & X-66

Another trick will be convincing passengers and airline executives that UHB/Open-Fan engines are new and sophisticated, not a rehash of old noisy props.

Though I did see a Piper PA31 fitted with an 11-bladed prop on one engine that greatly changed the noise on takeoff. Sounded much more jetlike. Higher pitched and more like a continuous whistle. Higher pitch means it doesn't carry as far. https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/about_firsts.htm#11 As for why 11 blades? That's a prime number, so there's only one resonant frequency to deal with.

So maybe the high blade count on the Open-Fan will not be as horribly loud.

there is not much of a load bearing structure on the upper part of the fuselage here.

True. It's possible that they will simply "cheat" and build an internal frame to carry the loads down from the top of the fuselage to the existing load structures in the lower fuselage. After all, this experimental aircraft doesn't need to have a clear cabin for passengers anymore.

A commercial version would need a different load structure entirely. And that is one item I've seen mentioned as an issue -- you end up with a rather strong and relatively heavy structure sitting at the top of the fuselage, ready to come down into the cabin in a crash.
How often has the wing truss collapsed the fuselage in C-130, C-141, C-5, or C-17 crashes?

Another trick will be convincing passengers and airline executives that UHB/Open-Fan engines are new and sophisticated, not a rehash of old noisy props.

Though I did see a Piper PA31 fitted with an 11-bladed prop on one engine that greatly changed the noise on takeoff. Sounded much more jetlike. Higher pitched and more like a continuous whistle. Higher pitch means it doesn't carry as far. https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/about_firsts.htm#11 As for why 11 blades? That's a prime number, so there's only one resonant frequency to deal with.

there is not much of a load bearing structure on the upper part of the fuselage here.

True. It's possible that they will simply "cheat" and build an internal frame to carry the loads down from the top of the fuselage to the existing load structures in the lower fuselage. After all, this experimental aircraft doesn't need to have a clear cabin for passengers anymore.

A commercial version would need a different load structure entirely. And that is one item I've seen mentioned as an issue -- you end up with a rather strong and relatively heavy structure sitting at the top of the fuselage, ready to come down into the cabin in a crash.
How often has the wing truss collapsed the fuselage in C-130, C-141, C-5, or C-17 crashes?
If one were to look, one could find a lot of information about noise produced by the "open fan" concept (possibly by searching "propfan acoustics" at ntrs.nasa.gov; the the erstwhile Hamilton Standard Division of UTC did a lot of pioneering work on the concept).

As for high-wings crushing passenger compartments, it's a straightforward structural issue that affects just about all commuter aircraft and military transports and there is a very similar issue with helicopters, with the engines, transmission, and main rotor right over the main cabin.

I didn't mean to suggest it's a real show-stopper, or even a major problem, just that the high wing required rethinking the structures compared to existing airliners. I think it came up in the context of comparisons between various iterations of SUGAR -- Refined SUGAR was a low-wing design and SUGAR High was the truss-braced high-wing equivalent, so the wing structure was one of the points of comparison between the two.

Similar to me. We are discussing the DC-9 adaptation.
DC-9 is a low wing design.

If one were to look, one could find a lot of information about noise produced by the "open fan" concept (possibly by searching "propfan acoustics" at ntrs.nasa.gov; the the erstwhile Hamilton Standard Division of UTC did a lot of pioneering work on the concept).

Wiki entry notes that the UDFs were louder than the turbofans in the cabin.

As a trained aircraft mechanic, I have a preference for the GE36 type direct drive UDF with many turbine stages. Gear reduction is always a failure point.

Another fun point is flying one of those in icing conditions. Propellers and propfans/UDFs will shed ice load radially into the airframe, which sounds like the plane is getting hit by AA fire. And also requires cabin reinforcement across the line of the blades.

As for high-wings crushing passenger compartments, it's a straightforward structural issue that affects just about all commuter aircraft and military transports and there is a very similar issue with helicopters, with the engines, transmission, and main rotor right over the main cabin.
Which means you design for it. Any plane natively designed with a high wing will be designed around that concern.

The only plane this will potentially be an issue on is the converted low wing tech demonstrator.

I, for one, am for letting the engineering, environmental, and business processes play out. Good design, bad design - let reality and physics decide.

Last edited:
I, for one, am for letting the engineering, environmental, and business processes play out. Good design, bad design - let reality and physics decide.
Aaand I just realized that this comment unfortunately applies to the ongoing Titan(ic) drama as well...

AirCurrent has a paywalled article discussing CFM Rise on X-66A. The first few paragraphs are readable without a subscription

AirCurrent has a paywalled article discussing CFM Rise on X-66A. The first few paragraphs are readable without a subscription
I'm having trouble figuring out if the CFM Rise is a geared engine or not. It sounds like it is, but the white paper is singularly non-useful:

key technologies like
multi-variable power control, a pitch actuation
system advanced power gearbox integration.
from: https://www.cfmaeroengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CFM_RISE_Whitepaper_Media.pdf

Notice the lack of comma between "a pitch actuation system" and "advanced power gearbox integration."

Sounds like it is geared, and their admin weenie forgot a comma.

I'm not very fond of adding gears to a turbine engine, that introduces an extra failure point. The GE36 and the Safran CROR are much better from my point of view as a licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic.

Attachments

• Onera Gullhyver.jpeg
    Onera Gullhyver.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Gullhyver 21413146-zJ Mark Wagner.jpeg
    Gullhyver 21413146-zJ Mark Wagner.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 73
Not Boeing, but ONERA.

*facepalm*

Hydrogen SUCKS as an aircraft fuel. It's just not dense enough! Liquid hydrogen is 14 liters per KG, and then you're also dealing with stuff that is extremely low cryotemps.
But it's great as a turbine engine fuel and its LHV/kg is a couple of times greater than hydrocarbon fuels

Not Boeing, but ONERA.

*facepalm*

Hydrogen SUCKS as an aircraft fuel. It's just not dense enough! Liquid hydrogen is 14 liters per KG, and then you're also dealing with stuff that is extremely low cryotemps.
But it's great as a turbine engine fuel and its LHV/kg is a couple of times greater than hydrocarbon fuels
Sure, for a fixed turbine, like ship propulsion or a gas turbine electrical generator for the grid.

But Hydrogen forces an immense aircraft with low seating capacity.

@admins : should we rename this thread to include the X-66 designation?

Sure, for a fixed turbine, like ship propulsion or a gas turbine electrical generator for the grid.

But Hydrogen forces an immense aircraft with low seating capacity.
Let's stick some numbers here. Hydrogen has about 40% greater HHV than kerosene, but its density is about 70kg/m^3 vs about 850 for kerosene, so you'd need about 7 m^3 of liquid hydrogen to replace one of kerosene.

Let's stick some numbers here. Hydrogen has about 40% greater HHV than kerosene, but its density is about 70kg/m^3 vs about 850 for kerosene, so you'd need about 7 m^3 of liquid hydrogen to replace one of kerosene.
And that's just tank capacity, not counting all the insulation you will need to keep a -255degC liquid, well, liquid.

IIRC you are looking at something more than 10m^3 in total tankage volume to replace 1m^3 of jet A. Which is why I do not see hydrogen working for aircraft fuel. Prototypes that show an engine can run on hydrogen? sure. But how much of their passenger or baggage area was filled up with the hydrogen tanks?

I have a question regarding this 11 bladed propeller (and other high blade number propellers). I did a quick search and found an article that suggested it would improve not just power but efficiency. I was under the impression that it was a trade off where the larger number of blades increased power for a given blade length and fan velocity (so you can avoid supersonic blade tips), but that it also results in high disk-loading/interference between blades. Why is it that these propellers can have both increased efficiency and power?

Also, I understand that even if a 2 blade propeller is more efficient than a higher number of propeller blades, a plane with a 10,000+ hp turboprop/UDF would need a comically large 2 bladed propeller to reach its full potential.

I have a question regarding this 11 bladed propeller (and other high blade number propellers). I did a quick search and found an article that suggested it would improve not just power but efficiency. I was under the impression that it was a trade off where the larger number of blades increased power for a given blade length and fan velocity (so you can avoid supersonic blade tips), but that it also results in high disk-loading/interference between blades. Why is it that these propellers can have both increased efficiency and power?

Also, I understand that even if a 2 blade propeller is more efficient than a higher number of propeller blades, a plane with a 10,000+ hp turboprop/UDF would need a comically large 2 bladed propeller to reach its full potential.
Higher blade counts mean each blade can be narrower, which has a better lift/drag ratio. More lift means more thrust from the prop in that specific case.

Higher blade counts can also be smaller diameter, which lets you either spin the prop faster at the design stage, or results in lower propeller tip speed at the engine's max rpm as a retrofit.

I think that,may if I develop in the design something,it'll have a better performance.

I didn't go out of my monthly free views limit so here it goes.

Attachments

• Boeing begins transforming MD-90 into NASA’s X-66A demonstrator _ In depth _ Flight Global.PDF
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom