• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing X-53

Andreas Parsch

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Andreas Parsch said:
However, no information about the specific air vehicle, to which X-53A applies, came forward. There was an AAW (Active Aeroelastic Wing) program going on at the AFRL from 2002 to mid-2005, using a modified F-18. There were follow-on programs (e.g. here and here), and my guess is that X-53A has been reserved for a possible full scale flying AAW testbed.
To put this issue to rest: I just learned that the X-53A designation was actually applied to the F/A-18A (s/n NASA 853) modified for AAW research.

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh...when I was young, X- designation wouldn't be given to an aircraft so easily)))

CammNut

Reaction score
Andreas Parsch said:
I just learned that the X-53A designation was actually applied to the F/A-18A (s/n NASA 853) modified for AAW research.

From a USAF release dated 7 May:

Active Aeroelastic Wing Flight Research Vehicle Receives X-53 Designation

The X-53

Download HiRes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools
Printable story E-mail story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Air Vehicles Directorate
AFRL/VA

5/7/2007 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- AFRL researchers received word regarding the Active Aeroelastic Wing (AAW) flight demonstrator's assignment to mission design series number X-53. The designation makes the vehicle AFRL's first successfully initiated X plane since the X-24 lifting body concept, which was later employed on the space shuttle.

Receiving X-53 designation marks an important step forward in AAW technology. The X-53 moniker affords the vehicle a higher recognition factor and will likely generate greater interest in the concept from a technology transition perspective. The AAW concept may play a crucial role in future aircraft, including strike unmanned air vehicles and global engagement bombers.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I have the first, until X-31 and I love it. It is full of info

As do I. What would be nice (though unrealistic, I know) is if it were possible to only buy the updated/new information rather than the entire book.

Regards,

Greg

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

two views of the Boeing X-53.
( Source: FliegerRevue )

Servus Maveric

Attachments

• boeing x.53-1gif.gif
    boeing x.53-1gif.gif
    91.8 KB · Views: 459
  • boeing x.53gif.gif
    boeing x.53gif.gif
    329.3 KB · Views: 412

CFE

Reaction score
The X-plane designations get further cheapened. Now we're giving them to mods of existing aircraft? At least planes like the X-14 and X-21 were drastically different from the planes they were based on. The F-111 with variable-camber wings never got an X-plane designation, nor did the F-8 with supercritical wings.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Neither did the AFTI F-16 or canard and TVC equipped F-15. BTW what is the X-52? ???

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
sferrin said:
Neither did the AFTI F-16 or canard and TVC equipped F-15. BTW what is the X-52? ???

Currently nothing with the strange explanation, that they don't want to confuse X-52 with the B-52 (!).......

Andreas Parsch

Reaction score
Matej said:
sferrin said:
BTW what is the X-52? ???

Currently nothing with the strange explanation, that they don't want to confuse X-52 with the B-52 (!).......

There is currently a policy in effect to avoid duplication of "well-known" (a very loosely defined term ;D ) numbers. (B-)52 is only one example of this rather questionable procedure ::)

elmayerle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I udnerstand that the early F-18s, like those NASA flies, have some aeroelastic problems that required stiffening for production aircraft but which make them perfect for this research effort. I seem to remember an article in Flight International on this concept, though not this designation, some years back.

Michel Van

Reaction score
The X-plane designations get further cheapened. Now we're giving them to mods of existing aircraft?
wat you want ? the F-18 is build by Boeing now.

Some X-plane have even wierd Origin !
like Grumman X-29 made out a Northrop F-5A airframes!

BTW what is the X-52?
Currently nothing with the strange explanation, that they don't want to confuse X-52 with the B-52 (!)
or is a Ultra Top Secret X-plane for Aera 51

fightingirish

Reaction score
Maybe the F/A-18A (s/n NASA 853) got the X-53 designation to gain more money at Congress and from other sponsors. Just remembers me very much about the F-22A -> F/A-22A ->F-22A designation story... ::)

Andreas Parsch

Reaction score
fightingirish said:
Maybe the F/A-18A (s/n NASA 853) got the X-53 designation to gain more money at Congress and from other sponsors.
In its press release (already partially quoted above by Cammnut), AFRL effectively admits that this was indeed the reason ;D :

[...] The X-53 moniker gives the vehicle a higher recognition factor and will likely generate greater interest in the concept [...]

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
fightingirish said:
Maybe the F/A-18A (s/n NASA 853) got the X-53 designation to gain more money at Congress and from other sponsors. Just remembers me very much about the F-22A -> F/A-22A ->F-22A designation story... ::)

The "F/A" designation wasn't intended to get additional money. It was more to stop the slash and burn. As it was it was so blatantly obviously a marketing sheme I think the USAF was embarassed enough to change it back. (They did change it back just not sure what the "official" reason was.)

CFE

Reaction score
In the Hornet's case, the "F/A-18" moniker was conceived to appease the A-7 community, who felt that attack would get the short end of the stick in the F-18. Sure enough, the Hornet has proven to be a weaker strike platform than the A-7 in many aspects.

fightingirish

Reaction score
sferrin said:
fightingirish said:

The "F/A" designation wasn't intended to get additional money. It was more to stop the slash and burn. As it was it was so blatantly obviously a marketing sheme I think the USAF was embarassed enough to change it back. (They did change it back just not sure what the "official" reason was.)

Well, I thought, the designation "F/A-22" was intended to highlight plans to give the Raptor a ground-attack capability amid intense debate over the relevance of the expensive air-superiority jet.
At that time they were thinking that the "F/A-22" should take over the role of the F-117, so they needed more money for GBU-39 SDB addition.

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
A little bit info about the first flight of the X-53 is available at this link:

In other words, the AAW F-18 flew long before it was designated X-53.