Boeing Skyfox- New School T-33

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
16 January 2008
Messages
2,252
Reaction score
402
While reading a sale ($3.99 for a $20 book, what a deal) book on US military aircraft at B&N the other day, I came across brief mention of this project in the book's T-33 profile. No picture, just one little sentence. Intrigued, i did a little digging. So here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Skyfox

as for the book I was reading from, here you go. Worth the price: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/American-Military-Aircraft/Jim-Winchester/e/9780760769829/?itm=5
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox.jpg
    Skyfox.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 814
Nice timing Moonbat, there's a thread on WIX of the Skyfox at its present resting place sans engine:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31150

I have the AvWeek article on the Skyfox which was rather all inclusive - will look around and see if I can uncover it and scan it.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
 
wow! I would have never guessed there was a T-33 underneath that :eek:
I'm assuming this was for JPATS?
 
http://airwolf.org.tv-series.com/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=45994&TOPIC_ID=7075&FORUM_ID=1

this thread has some info and a pic of Skyfox wearing "US AIR FORCE" markings


I looked and this program was a little before JPATS.

Id love to see a 3-view of this.
 
Only a scan from quite a bad copy, sorry, but certainly someone else has the
issue (1984) in his bookshelf. The prototype was modified from a T-bird and first
flown on 10th May 1983, ordered by Skyfox Corporation, production was planned
to take place at OGMA in Portugal. The aircraft was seen as an economical alternative
to a completely new type, so no connection to JPATS, I think.
(from Green "Aircraft of the world")
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox.JPG
    Skyfox.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 732
I have the chapter of "Airwolf" where this plane appears. If my old CRT no dies (is in the last ones :-[ ) I try to post some screenshots.

This ones are from the book "Shootings Stars-Lockheed's Legendary T-Birds" by Michael O'Leary.
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox_foto1.jpg
    Skyfox_foto1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 635
  • Skyfox_foto2.jpg
    Skyfox_foto2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 689
IIRC, it was developed as a project for Third World countries already operating T-33s to upgrade them. I don't think there was any country in particular, just aimed at extending the T-33's life. As drastic as the mods appear, I think it still used about 75% of the airframe. The engines & nacelles were straight off a Falcon 10 or 20, I don't remember which.



XP67_Moonbat said:
http://airwolf.org.tv-series.com/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=45994&TOPIC_ID=7075&FORUM_ID=1

this thread has some info and a pic of Skyfox wearing "US AIR FORCE" markings


I looked and this program was a little before JPATS.

Id love to see a 3-view of this.
 
Screen captures of the chapter of "Airwolf" (3rd, 1st Temp).
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox 8.JPG
    Skyfox 8.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Skyfox 7.JPG
    Skyfox 7.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Skyfox 6.JPG
    Skyfox 6.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Skyfox 5.JPG
    Skyfox 5.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Skyfox 4.JPG
    Skyfox 4.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Skyfox 3.JPG
    Skyfox 3.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Skyfox 2.JPG
    Skyfox 2.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Skyfox 1.JPG
    Skyfox 1.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 606
More
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox 16.JPG
    Skyfox 16.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Skyfox 15.JPG
    Skyfox 15.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 77
  • Skyfox 14.JPG
    Skyfox 14.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Skyfox 13.JPG
    Skyfox 13.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Skyfox 12.JPG
    Skyfox 12.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Skyfox 11.JPG
    Skyfox 11.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Skyfox 10.JPG
    Skyfox 10.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Skyfox 9.JPG
    Skyfox 9.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 74
And more
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox 24.JPG
    Skyfox 24.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Skyfox 23.JPG
    Skyfox 23.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Skyfox 22.JPG
    Skyfox 22.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Skyfox 21.JPG
    Skyfox 21.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Skyfox 20.JPG
    Skyfox 20.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Skyfox 19.JPG
    Skyfox 19.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Skyfox 18.JPG
    Skyfox 18.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Skyfox 17.JPG
    Skyfox 17.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 61
Ok, the last ones...
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox 32.JPG
    Skyfox 32.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Skyfox 31.JPG
    Skyfox 31.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Skyfox 30.JPG
    Skyfox 30.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Skyfox 29.JPG
    Skyfox 29.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Skyfox 28.JPG
    Skyfox 28.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Skyfox 27.JPG
    Skyfox 27.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Skyfox 26.JPG
    Skyfox 26.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Skyfox 25.JPG
    Skyfox 25.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 65
Ya know...I'm looking at the forward fuselage and i see a chine vaguely reminiscent of the SR-71 or YF-23. Hmmmm
 
Looking at the last few photos and forward visibility over the nose doesn't look that good.
 
Based on the mods to the nose, I wouldn't think the vis would be much different from a stock T-33.


dragon72 said:
Looking at the last few photos and forward visibility over the nose doesn't look that good.
 
frank said:
The engines & nacelles were straight off a Falcon 10 or 20, I don't remember which.

As far as engines go at least, it would be both as they both use TFE-773s, the same variant even I think. Or at least that's what Wikipedia tells me :p

As for the forward fuselage "chimes," I think that's mostly a consequence of fairing over the old engine intakes. I imagine that space goes for fuel.
 
Just call me Ray said:
As for the forward fuselage "chimes," I think that's mostly a consequence of fairing over the old engine intakes. I imagine that space goes for fuel.

Yes, the old intake trunks became fuel tanks. BTW, the replaced engine on the prototype was, of course, a RR Nene. ;D
 
Skyfox in Medford Oregon, June 2008
 

Attachments

  • skyfox05s2.jpg
    skyfox05s2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 975
frank said:
IIRC, it was developed as a project for Third World countries already operating T-33s to upgrade them. I don't think there was any country in particular, just aimed at extending the T-33's life. As drastic as the mods appear, I think it still used about 75% of the airframe. The engines & nacelles were straight off a Falcon 10 or 20, I don't remember which.



XP67_Moonbat said:
http://airwolf.org.tv-series.com/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=45994&TOPIC_ID=7075&FORUM_ID=1

this thread has some info and a pic of Skyfox wearing "US AIR FORCE" markings


I looked and this program was a little before JPATS.

Id love to see a 3-view of this.

Falcon 10. It uses the same TFE731 engines and Grumman-built nacelles.
 
I always hoped this project would go forward instead of sadly ending up in a hulk on the tarmac somewhere. Someone deserves top marks for a very clever idea.
 
Cutaway Boeing Skyfox, modified by Motocar in free interpretation
 

Attachments

  • Cutaway Boeing Skyfox.jpg
    Cutaway Boeing Skyfox.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 623
...
 

Attachments

  • Skyfox 1 copy.jpg
    Skyfox 1 copy.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 142
  • Skyfox 1 a.jpg
    Skyfox 1 a.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Skyfox 1 info.jpg
    Skyfox 1 info.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 156
Nice RAP - thanks. I acquired some pics of the aircraft off of EPay some time back - must get those scanned and posted.

I may be in Medford, OR next Summer and looked at Google Earth but did not see the Skyfax on the ramp - it may finally have been scrapped. Bummer....

Enjoy the Day! Mark
 

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom