New Book „AEROPLANE LEGEND YAK 18T“ by Konstantin Udalov and Asen Atanasov

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
КОНСТАНТИН УДАЛОВ / АСЕН АТАНАСОВ, САМОЛЕТ ЛЕГЕНДА ЯК-18Т, Авико Пресс, Moscow 2022, УДК. 629. 735. 33. [256 pp.]

Konstantin UDALOV / Asen ATANASOV, Legendary Aircraft YAK-18T (Avico Press, Moscow march 2022)

I had the great joy to read the latest book (march 2022) by the well-known author Konstin Udalov. This time he teamed with Asen Atanasov to write a fundamental, great researched and well illustrated story of the legendary aircraft Yak-18T. The book covers in depth the technological, design and operational history of this widespread and popular training aircraft (pp. 435). The next chapter deals with the wide range of variants, projekts and one-offs and follow-ups ot the Yak-18 (pp. 36-117). Here we have the first series versions, hydroplans, research ad "special aircraft", "The Baby"-variant [БАБОЧКА], different landing gears (including skids), medical aid and rescue planes. Including the several different engine types. Some comparisons given by Udalov to the An-2 helps to understand the potential of this design.

In 1990, a modification of the Yak-18T aircraft designed for dropping radio-controlled models was developed at the Yakovlev Machine Building Design Bureau (called OKB-115 until 1966, or simply OKB A.S. Yakovlev). The development was commissioned by TsAGI where the aerodynamics and dynamics of aircraft were investigated using free-flying models [pp. 66-73]. See attached image. This is espicially interesting and well illustrated by great artwork. Next up is the "Aero-15"; basically a Yak-18T with T-Tail. Then comes the modified planes "Aero-18", "SM-94", "SM-94i", "SM-2000", "SM-2000P", the beautiful turboprop driven "SM-2000T" and the armed (with unguided air-to.ground rockets) "Yak-18TM".

Then comes the exotical long-nosed "MAYAk T-1". The Yak-118 light multipurpose aircraft, developed at the A.S. Yakovlev Design Bureau in cooperation with the JSC Smolensk Aviation Plant in 2008 for Poland by deep modernisation of the well-known Yak-18T trainer aircraft and intended for different purposes (pp.108-117). A fascinating and indeepth description (in words, fotos, artworks and maps) of several record and adventure flights of Yak-18T teams follows (pp. 118- A flight in 1191 from far-east russia via China, south-east-asia, indonesia until australia for example is absolute fascinating to read. The use and sale of the aircraft to various countries is described in detail.

For me as a German reader, the use of the YAK-18T in Germany was of interest (pp. 130-132). The aircraft stationed in Germany (with D markings) are presented and there are beautiful drawings of many of them. The export of the aircraft to other countries, especially in Eastern Europe, but also internationally, takes up the large concluding part of the book. It is fascinating to see the wide distribution of this aircraft. Drawings and photos show the aircraft in their respective country markings and in the colours of their (private) owners.

Konstantin Udalov has dedicated a worthy book to this legendary machine. May this aircraft remain in service for a long time to come and bring the joy of flying to many people around the world. Hopefully, Udalov will let this publication format become a series (Legendary Aircraft) that will include other significant aircraft, not only from the house of Yakovlev. I give the book an unconditional reading recommendation. For aviation enthusiasts, for model builders, for those interested in the history of the transformation of the post-Soviet aviation industry, this book is indispensable. Have fun reading it! (As with all books published by AvikoPress, it is best and easyest to contact the author and publisher Konstantin Udalov directly to get the book).

Attachments

• Yak-18T cover-001.jpg
    Yak-18T cover-001.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 44
  • YAK-18T_Tsagi.jpg
    YAK-18T_Tsagi.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 40
Hello all,

I also had the opportunity like athpilot to look into Konstantin Udalov's new book.

In this very detailed book with 255 pages Konstantin describes everything about the Yak-18T.
He goes into the history, the technology and the countless variants and modifications.

It is not a book with projects only, but everyone should have a look at it.
Especially in this book and that was of special interest for me and I was enthusiastic about it, all variants and modifications of this aircraft type are discussed.

Also newer modifications from today are explained which is very interesting for me. Because if you consider that the first flight of the Ur Yak-18 was already in 1946 and people today still deal with variants and modifications is very interesting.

For me one of the most interesting projects in this book is the Yak-18T with the diesel engine developed in Germany by Red. For me a very forward looking project.

Konstantin has once again pulled out everything there is on the Yak-18T from his archives. With Asen Atanasov doing the drawings of the aircraft the book is as always one of the most uniquely illustrated. An important aspect in my opinion is that again a lot of original documents were used for the book.

I can only recommend the book to aviation enthusiasts, as it gives a very good insight into the history and development of the Yak-18T.
I hope we can look forward to many more books from Konstantin.

I will wish all a intersting reading!

I really liked the book on the Yakovlev Design Bureau multi-purpose aircraft Yak-18T, not to be confused with the Yak-18 trainer.
I learned a lot of interesting information, especially on modifications, but the basis of the Yak-18T was made by alternative design bureaus.
As always, the book is made at the highest level using unique archival material and very cool drawings by Asen Atanasov. I think the book will be of great reader interest.

Could you please recommend webpage where I can buy books from Avico Press.?

Back
Top Bottom