Boeing MRF-24X Tailless Fighter

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is a design I found in a PDF file online about a 1-1/2 ago. I wish I would have downloaded the PDF file, but I just took a screen capture because most of the file wasn't about aircraft. It was either about advanced systems and possibly networking. It was some sort of defense related PDF file and this one page had this design on it. BTW, it was a Boeing PDF document.

I have no idea if this is one of the tailless fighter designs that has supposedly flown at Groom Lake or if it is the YF-24 (There was a report within the past year about a test pilot and in his history one of the planes he supposedly flew first at Groom Lake was the YF-24 prototype, which doesn't tell us anything).

Based on the design and the Boeing/McD-D design history, aka the X-36 and the BOP, I think it's safe to say that looking at the nozzle the aicraft probably uses fluidic thrust vectoring contol in yaw in combination with it's 2D C-D nozzle.

Anyway, I think it's a nice looking plane.

Attachments

• MRF-24X.jpg
    MRF-24X.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3,864
I was wondering the same thing....could this be the YF-24??? Anyway, the air intake looks similar to the Boeing X-32... Ideas, anyone?

Sundog said:
This is a design I found in a PDF file online about a 1-1/2 ago. I wish I would have downloaded the PDF file, but I just took a screen capture because most of the file wasn't about aircraft. It was either about advanced systems and possibly networking. It was some sort of defense related PDF file and this one page had this design on it. BTW, it was a Boeing PDF document.

I have no idea if this is one of the tailless fighter designs that has supposedly flown at Groom Lake or if it is the YF-24 (There was a report within the past year about a test pilot and in his history one of the planes he supposedly flew first at Groom Lake was the YF-24 prototype, which doesn't tell us anything).

Based on the design and the Boeing/McD-D design history, aka the X-36 and the BOP, I think it's safe to say that looking at the nozzle the aicraft probably uses fluidic thrust vectoring contol in yaw in combination with it's 2D C-D nozzle.

Anyway, I think it's a nice looking plane.

I am pretty sure I have seen the PDF in question, I'll look for it. If I remember right this also had some of the Boeing A-12 like concepts in it.
It does not seem likely that this has flown at Groom. There is not anything new or unique that would justify it as far as I can tell. The tailless configuration seen here was tested to death in both the black and white worlds in the late 1990s, including by Boeing with the X-36.

What interests me is that PW-1442 engine. That's a new one.

A tailless version of this, no?

Attachments

• Boeing.jpg
    Boeing.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,313
That looks like a variation/iteration of Boeing's ATF proposal. Note that it is a twin engine design, The various articles that have shown display or wind tunnel models of the various ATF proposals show the later v-tailed version that was the final proposal variant. Personally, I think this is a pretty decent looking aircraft.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Mark Nankivil said:
That looks like a variation/iteration of Boeing's ATF proposal. Note that it is a twin engine design.

I'm pretty sure it's single-engine. The exhaust area doesn't look wide enough for two engines. Proportionally, this looks more like a precursor to the JSF rather than the ATF. No?

Either way, it's a beautiful design, in my opinion. Boeing's ATF proposal always struck me as somewhat awkward looking.

Attachments

• BoeingATF.jpg
    BoeingATF.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,988
Based on what I've seen, in terms of dates on the drawings, these are post JSF designs.

Also, the tailed version of the design I first posted at the top was actually shown in another thread here, but I don't recall which one.

I too have read that the YF-24 is actually some sort of prototype. Yet some claim that the F-24 designation was supposed to be the designation for the F-35. According to this story a project manager messed up and said F-35 (since it was developed from the X-35) and they changed the designation as a result.

I believe somebody here said the JSF website said F-24 for a short time before they changed that around, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

interesting that after three years of search, I never found this particular pdf ;(

I actually found it again about six months ago. I know I saved it somewhere, but I don't have access to my external HD's until my new PC is finished. My old one went down about two months ago and with moving, I haven't had time to get the new one squared away. I'll track it down for you then.

Unless it's on my old server PC, which is what I use for the time being. I'll check tonight.

machines are against us...

If DoD had followed their own rules, the F-35 would be F-24. The X-35 = F-35 was a screw-up that went uncorrected.

Lampshade111 said:
I too have read that the YF-24 is actually some sort of prototype. Yet some claim that the F-24 designation was supposed to be the designation for the F-35. According to this story a project manager messed up and said F-35 (since it was developed from the X-35) and they changed the designation as a result.

I believe somebody here said the JSF website said F-24 for a short time before they changed that around, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Having said that, how convenient to skip 11 numbers when you want to have secret programs going unnoticed!

what is interesting about this one?
'article adapted from Storm Climb', which, meanwhile, just a rewrite of Dave Majumdar piece at DEW Line (who - 3.5 years after - have used SPF as source of his revelations (and wrong conclusions) and forget to mention it)

Mate,

It was an interesting read for me, anyhow for the year ord David M started at FG after I left as I know Stephen Trimble very well and DAvid M seemed to be inputting more into Stephens Dew Line.

Anyway I thought I was contributing something substantial to this thread as I like to think I have contributed quite substantially over them trying I have been a member here,

Cheers

TAFA [Tailless advanced fighter aircraft] AIRCRAFT DESCRIPTION

The TAFA aircraft is a conceptual design of an advanced fighter configuration which blends an
extensive suite of conventional and innovative control effectors to achieve high agility in a low
observable design. The TAFA is a single engine, single seat fighter designed for air-to-air and/or
air-to-ground missions.
The TAFA airframe is characterized by a chined forebody, symmetric air inlets, and no vertical
tail. The wing and all moving canard are thin and feature a moderate aft sweep and no dihedral.
The leading edge of the wing is equipped with passive porosity which can be used as a low rate
roll control device during covert maneuvers.....

TAFA.png

Attachments

• Wise_et_al-1999-International_Journal_of_Robust_and_Nonlinear_Control (1).pdf
    247.4 KB · Views: 135
Nice picture,this is the first time i see this concept,thanks for sharing.

best regards

Pedro

Attachments

• TAFA.jpg
    TAFA.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 436

Attachments

• MDA_JSF_REAR.jpg
    MDA_JSF_REAR.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 377
  • MDA_JSF_TOP.jpg
    MDA_JSF_TOP.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 374
This question has probably been asked and answered elsewhere but what platform would be more stealthy a twin tail like the F-22 or a tailless fighter with canards.

bobbymike said:
This question has probably been asked and answered elsewhere but what platform would be more stealthy a twin tail like the F-22 or a tailless fighter with canards.

A tailless fighter with canards.

bobbymike said:

It depends on too many things to list.

Is there any picture of wind tunnel model of this Boeing aircraft?

Attachments

• Boeing_Bird.png
    Boeing_Bird.png
    29 KB · Views: 478
New Era of Stealth, Tailless, Vectored Aircraft

https://www.scribd.com/doc/275222414/New-Era-of-Stealth-Tailless-Vectored-Aircraft?secret_password=CtnIOjRENVDugMibi2T8

Sorry for the Necro, but recently, there have been ongoing discussions by folks at Dreamlandresort (and ATS "Aircraft Projects"too) in light of the removal of the "YF-24" designation from the biography of former test pilot Joseph Lanni(https://www.dreamlandresort.com/forum/messages/54545.html):

http://web.archive.org/web/20041025033300/https://www.edwards.af.mil/units/bio/lanni-bio.html
Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 01-38-17 Col. Joseph A. Lanni USAF Biography.png

Yep, as we can see it's gone (as of 2021): https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/108050/brigadier-general-joseph-a-lanni/
Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 01-38-24 BRIGADIER GENERAL JOSEPH A. LANNI.png

Back
Top Bottom