hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
My dears,

I just know that Boeing Model-754 was an airliner project
based on Burnelli design,do you have a drawing or more
informations about it ?.

Re: Boeing Planes That Never Flew - News Report

I have seen drawings and pics of a model of it, and I think they were in old issues of Aviation Week.

If this isn't it in the link below, it's very similar.

Boeing Lifting Body Aircraft

Working together we are invincible ! ;D
Thanks, Sundog ! I hadn't found a Boeing 754, but your clue with
the Aviation Week and the link made me looking for this design,
without designation:
(from Aviation Week 1974 14-25)
And now it's time for the last x-mas preparations !

Attachments

• Boeing-transport-concept.JPG
    Boeing-transport-concept.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 968

Thanks my dear Jemiba and Sundog.

I believe having found this on the web a few years ago on a site dedicated to Burnelli. Is it useful, hesham?

Attachments

• Boeing 754-Seite.jpg
    Boeing 754-Seite.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 901

Thanks my dear boxkite,

and welcome your returning.

Artist's impression of the Boeing Model 754 from Cargolux 1975 Annual Report. Cargolux was to be a launch customer of the aircraft.

Attachments

• cargolux.jpg
    cargolux.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 740

OK -- I want one of each.

Give me a full bag of Snickers and bottles of Energy drinks and lock me for a few days away in that treasure cave at Boeing. :D
Great Clip!!! :)

Brilliant! Can this vault be visited by outside aviation historians with proper clearance? Or is it strictly for inhouse people?

Stargazer2006 said:
Brilliant! Can this vault be visited by outside aviation historians with proper clearance? Or is it strictly for inhouse people?
I know that Dennis Jenkins visited the archives for his and Tony Landis' B-70 book. -SP

The setting reminded me of the picture below of Derek Meddings among the model shelves of Century 21 Productions - mmmmmm, models...

Martin

Attachments

• Meddings.jpg
    Meddings.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,567

Stargazer2006 said:
Brilliant! Can this vault be visited by outside aviation historians with proper clearance?

Used to be. No longer.

In late 2001, after passing through a few layers of security guards I was allowed to come in and wander the shelves. Two later trips (2003 and 2005) showed a progression in restrictions. In 2008 I had to sit my butt at a table and stay there.

I'm led to understand that I wouldn't get *that* far today. I'm also led to believe that in the 1990's your average Joe could more or less walk in right off the street.

Ah, the transonic 767....

Orionblamblam said:
Used to be. No longer.

In late 2001, after passing through a few layers of security guards I was allowed to come in and wander the shelves. Two later trips (2003 and 2005) showed a progression in restrictions. In 2008 I had to sit my butt at a table and stay there.

I'm led to understand that I wouldn't get *that* far today. I'm also led to believe that in the 1990's your average Joe could more or less walk in right off the street.

Well at least Boeing did allow that news crew to get in. Of course, they probably had to fill ITAR forms in quadruplicate, consent to individual background checks, then wait 6 months and help a gaggle of Boeing lawyers justify their existence by paying dearly for every second of airtime... I'm surprised aim9xray hasn't yet been invoiced for posting the link.

circle-5 said:
Of course, they probably had to fill ITAR forms in quadruplicate...

As previously noted, the video shows nought but civvie designs, none of the military ones (at least not clearly). I'm sure some of that is due to interest in Boeing these days being mostly wrapped around jetliners (the last actual Boeing - as opposed to one of their aquisitions - military product being... what? The B-52?), but the stacks are loaded with military and space models as well.

The International Husky (IH) is totally new for me. Please tell us the story. (pics,drawings, technical data, model number...)

Bet that Husky is making Burnelli roll over in his grave! :D

The Husky certainly is of interest...although I think in Raymer's textbook he feels that such a design would likely have a weight penalty versus a conventional design. Nonetheless, it looks like it would have plenty of cargo space.

XP67_Moonbat said:
Bet that Husky is making Burnelli roll over in his grave! :D

In a sense. When Boeing came out with the design (for the International Husky Corporation), the Burnelli lawyers showed up. IIRC, the lawsuits helped quash the concept.

Maveric said:
The International Husky (IH) is totally new for me. Please tell us the story. (pics,drawings, technical data, model number...)

Model 754-6F (this version), dating from 1973. This was the narrowest of the designs for International Husky.

Attachments

• husky1.jpg
    husky1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 953
  • husky2.jpg
    husky2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 849

But I thought Burnelli had been involved with the early Model 754 designs like the one on the left?!? Wasn't it so?

Burnelli died in 1964. This design study dates from 1973.

From the Burnelli conspiracists:
http://www.aircrash.org/burnelli/cnsp8.htm

From the Smithsonian:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The_Burnelli_Controversy.html?c=y&page=3

Boeing opted not to comment for this article. “We’re a little skittish on the whole subject of Burnelli,” a Boeing spokesman said.

Thank you Scott for clearing the confusion. This was so reminiscent of Burnelli that I must have assumed it to be a Burnelli-related project. My mistake.

Stargazer2006 said:
This was so reminiscent of Burnelli that I must have assumed it to be a Burnelli-related project.

Lots of people thought so at the time (including the lawyers).

Here's the patent for one of the designs for Husky: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=41Q9AAAAEBAJ&dq=D245157&num=10

Orionblamblam said:
Maveric said:

Model 754-6F (this version), dating from 1973. This was the narrowest of the designs for International Husky.

Thanks for this great material!

So are they trying to argue that the idea of shaping an aircraft fuselage like an airfoil for extra body lift was trademarked by Burnelli? Doesn't make much sense to me to allow people to place claims on general functional concepts. You might as well be trademarking the concept of strakes, swept wings, 2-dimensional supersonic inlets, etc.

Orionblamblam said:
circle-5 said:
Of course, they probably had to fill ITAR forms in quadruplicate...

As previously noted, the video shows nought but civvie designs, none of the military ones (at least not clearly). I'm sure some of that is due to interest in Boeing these days being mostly wrapped around jetliners (the last actual Boeing - as opposed to one of their aquisitions - military product being... what? The B-52?), but the stacks are loaded with military and space models as well.

The local television news here in Seattle is fixated on the commercial airliner operations of the Boeing Company in the Puget Sound region, particularly the activities in and around the assembly plants at Renton and Everett. The rest of the operations that constitute the Boeing Company, such as Whichita, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and Charleston, are almost entirely ignored. Perhaps because so many people in the area are directly employed by the Boeing Commercial Airplane Company or work for contractors and suppliers who support Boeing's commercial airliner production lines in Renton and Everett. The economic fortunes of the Boeing Commercial Airplane Company effect the entire Puget Sound region. Layoffs at Boeing can send the entire region into a recession. The local news doesn't seem to be interested in Boeing's military or space operations, unless if it is, or will be, manufactured somewhere in the Puget Sound region.

Triton said:
It appears that Boeing was still looking at the design as late as 1977 as the Model 759.

Not as "the" Model 759, but as "part of" the larger Model 759 program, which included tens of extremely different configurations.

Triton said:
It appears that Boeing was still looking at the design as late as 1977 as the Model 759-182A and the Model 759-214A

index.php

index.php

Source:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,181.msg127169.html#msg127169

If you use the search,you will find this;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6982.0/highlight,boeing+759.html

and generally,the Model-759 was discussed here with a suggesting
for a competition between Boeing,Lockheed,Douglas (MDC) and NASA;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6549.msg61020.html#msg61020

hesham said:
If you use the search,you will find this;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6982.0/highlight,boeing+759.html

and generally,the Model-759 was discussed here with a suggesting
for a competition between Boeing,Lockheed,Douglas (MDC) and NASA;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6549.msg61020.html#msg61020

So what should I have done hesham? Should I have added the three-view drawing of the Boeing Model 759-214A design to the existing "Boeing Model 759-182" topic? The Boeing Model 759-192M three-view drawing to the existing "Boeing Model 759-165A Spanloader" topic? :-\ What should I do with the Lockheed-Georgia and McDonnell Douglas spanloader designs whose model numbers are not identified? Should I have placed them in the existing "Boeing Model 759-165A Spanloader" topic?

Model of Boeing Model 754 concept located in the Boeing Archives Bellevue, Washington.

Source:
http://airchive.com/html/museums/boeing-archives-bellevue-washington-usa/boeing-experimental-aircraft/19130

Attachments

• 19130.jpg
    19130.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 915

OMG, what a plane...

Would Boeing have sold the plane as the 754? Or would the Boeing Marketing Department give the plane another designation? Like Boeing 777?

Triton said:
Would Boeing have sold the plane as the 754? Or would the Boeing Marketing Department give the plane another designation? Like Boeing 777?

Given the odd configuration, uncertain marketing success and coherence of the 7*7 line (not to mention that I'm not even sure any airline would have bought that!) I'd venture to consider they might have kept the "754" after all, or most probably, found a name for it. There was a similar project at Boeing called the Husky, if memory serves.