Boeing B-52X Twin Fortress circa 1970

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Boeing B-52X Twin Fortress circa 1970. Real concept?

Source:
http://sobchak.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/ad-boeing-b-52x-twin-fortress-1970/

Attachments

• rivista70.jpg
    rivista70.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 389
  • b52x.jpg
    b52x.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 390
I suspect NO. Placing a pair of engines that far outboard on that wing probably wouldn't have been a good idea ! :-\

As much as I would dearly love to think that's a real concept, I rather fancy that image is 'Photoshopped'. If one looks at the curvature of the book, the image (in the area of the nose) does not exhibit the same profile - it looks flat.

Sorry... :(

S

Also, the centre wing and tail, being straight, would have a lousy drag rise at even moderate Mach numbers. Unless it was unbelievably thin, I can't believe Boeing would do that. (Cf. plans for a supersonic Sea Vixen, and what were they going to do with that straight twin-boom elevator?)

I'm not saying this is that, but wasn't there a drawing or model twin B-52 as a shuttle carrier?

Triton said:
I suspected it was a hoax, but wasn't certain.

Take it from a photoshopper, it IS a hoax. Also, if the project had reached the stage where Boeing would have made a magazine advertisement about it, you can bet you last dollar we would have heard about it elsewhere a long time ago... Besides the "As seen on TV" logo in the corner is one detail too many. Totally unrealistic for an aviation ad.

Nevertheless, to my opinion, that's a much more believable way to produce such a fake, then simply
show the PSed photo somewhere. "Look, it wasn't me, I just found it !". And so actually a more dangerous
one, which could produce "a new reality" more easily....

that not photoshop, its a photomontage from 1970s i think this is a april fool joke by Boeing...