Now Boeing's OFFICIALLY developing both Sixth-Generation fighter projects? That's...something
Same obscurity clouds as the F-47, but not so much that we see a bit more of itThats honestly shocking, cool picture though!
No canards, but the cockpit / nose looks exactly like the F-47 render. And ofcourse the 3d render has to be positioned at exactly the perfect angle so that those chine lines mean absolute nothing.Same obscurity clouds as the F-47, but not so much that we see a bit more of it
Steam clouds sealed the deal!Same obscurity clouds as the F-47, but not so much that we see a bit more of it
No canards
Now that it's been decided, I've renamed it to BoeingThis topic is for discussion of the expected announcement of a contract award for the US Navy F/A-XX and will be renamed once the chosen contractor isNorthrop Grummannamed.
Northrop Grumman may still be involved in this. These days multiple contractors are involved and Boeing (and formerly McDonnell Douglas) has had NG perform a large number of the sub-contracting work.
For maximum confusion, they should name it the F-36, to correspond with the J-36, finally reversing the flow of ersatz naming conventions across the Pacific.With B-2 and B-21, NG could offer an FB-23-like advanced platform, NG seems to be the strike platform master now and this makes sense.
I must be blind AF. Yeah looks like it.That render definitely has canards, big ones too. The whole thing looks really wide.View attachment 824959
Thank you for sharpening that up! One can now see that there is the upward camber on the main wings, as well, like the F-47 renders. Initially I thought it had a flat dorito-style shape, but it seems like that was just the canards.That render definitely has canards, big ones too. The whole thing looks really wide.View attachment 824959
Was asking myself that too, as well as wondering about that bump towards the empennageThat render definitely has canards, big ones too. The whole thing looks really wide.View attachment 824959
i bet the cannards are for better carrier landings, since it might be heavy it would need all the lift it could get.Thank you for sharpening that up! One can now see that there is the upward camber on the main wings, as well, like the F-47 renders. Initially I thought it had a flat dorito-style shape, but it seems like that was just the canards.
YesWas asking myself that too, as well as wondering about that bump towards the empennage
Edit: are those inlets under the canards?
Edit: are those inlets under the canards?
Am guessing then that similarities in nose with the F-47 imply similar inlets as well? That is, it might be time to update the F-47 renders too! Betting Reddington is already doing so : )
No. Boeing did the navy demonstrator for AII-X. Demonstrator didnt have much to do with final design of either aircraft. Now just how much they are related design wise - im not comfortable enough with making a judgement anymore lol.Is the F-47 Boeing's original submission for F/A-XX? Why not put inlets on top? MTOW estimates? Max dash estimates?
I mean perhaps! What I can tell is if you do there research into Boeing's inlet methodologies, it can be anything from a DSI to a rotating spike inlet.Am guessing then that similarities in nose with the F-47 imply similar inlets as well? That is, it might be time to update the F-47 renders too! Betting Reddington is already doing so : )
They look caret like to me, but I'm nevertheless wondering if others see a bit of DSI as well? I think I do, but it's so easy to be deke'd by imagery angles & smoke... With the apparent airflow volume, I'm feeling good about it being likely a twin engine setup, which briefly I worried it might not be due to that emo engage bump.
well if MTI satelites are going to be a thing I will say it right now, 3D Stealth will be the new paradigm shift. J-36 / J-50 with straight wings will look great to an MTI Awacs Space Constellation but say a Bird Of Prey layout would offer exceptional Stealth in all planes. I suspected this after F-47 (Boeing did build the Bird of Prey and the X-36 and who knows what since) reveal but if F-A-XX render is accurate we are looking at 3D stealth which would explain the Navy and USAF choosing a similar concept tailored very smartly from Boeing for both services avoiding the mistake Northrop made with F-23 and NATF being VERY different. If we are talking low-risk, a shared design but optimized for each service planform would reduce a lot of risk.Thank you for sharpening that up! One can now see that there is the upward camber on the main wings, as well, like the F-47 renders. Initially I thought it had a flat dorito-style shape, but it seems like that was just the canards.
That might be true, altough they could just vaguely hide some details in plain sight, and most of the renders somewhat match previous X-planes such as the X-36 and the bird of prey, so i wouldnt call renders too far off from the truth.Perhaps I'll be shouted down and not trying to ruin anyone's fun but I was under the impression the F-47 renderings were just that, artists concept renderings that don't represent the actual design. I am sure the USAF said it was heavily doctored and edited to deliberately obscure the real design.
What are the odds then the same/similar image has been fed into the machine and told to spit out an F/A-XX carrier version sitting on a deck surrounded by steam because the Head Honcho likes steam...? What I'm trying to say is I think there is too much stock being put into an artist impression/AI graphic that may not actually represent the proposed aircraft design.
I think for a lot of us (or just me) they've been edging this so hard for the past ten years that people want something to tickle the imagination with. Those of us who do spend time staring at renders and speculating also understand that theres a good likelihood that its a waste of time too. I do apologize though if we are clogging up the threads. Maybe we can go back to the Boeing F/A-XX thread or something.Perhaps I'll be shouted down and not trying to ruin anyone's fun but I was under the impression the F-47 renderings were just that, artists concept renderings that don't represent the actual design. I am sure the USAF said it was heavily doctored and edited to deliberately obscure the real design.
We called Insidersource a mad man, seems like he was right on the money thoughtheir design from the start was dual-use
It's why I specified combat aircraft design, rather than combat aircraft production. Production of an existing design is one thing, but keeping a full aircraft design capability on hand is expensive. CCAs may be the saving grace for that, but Anduril and co are making inroads there, while probably not yet at the level you'd want for design of an NGAD-level capability that you could entrust to NG or LM.F-35 is going to keep them humming happily for a generation (seriously, people forget the *scale* it's being made and operated on), especially when the inevitable "Gen 5.5" refresh happens, and there are CCAs and hypersonic drones yet to design to keep the CADers busy. Weep not for LockMart.
For maximum confusion, they should name it the F-36, to correspond with the J-36