BMW 803 engine prototype......

xylstra

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does anyone have a personal picture of the BMW 803 engine on display at the Deutsches Science Museum that I may be able to use in an article I'm writing (NOT a profit-making venture, I assure you!)? I will of course credit you as the source and as always, publication is at the discretion of the magazine editor. Thanks.

Here are a view pictures from my visit to the "Deutsches Museum, Flugwerft Oberschleißheim" on
28th of June, 2008. There is also a BMW 803 there.
regards
Oliver

Attachments

• DSCN4463.JPG
    DSCN4463.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN4464.JPG
    DSCN4464.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN4465.JPG
    DSCN4465.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN4466.JPG
    DSCN4466.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN4467.JPG
    DSCN4467.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 105
Here are a view pictures from my visit to the "Deutsches Museum, Flugwerft Oberschleißheim" on
28th of June, 2008. There is also a BMW 803 there.
regards
Oliver
Thanks so much for those Oliver. They are superb! By the way, regarding your search for more information on BMW engines, it would be fantastic if there was a far more detailed account of the development of the KommandoGerat engine control system. Likewise, almost nothing is known of the Junkers version of a similar system. Also, Allison were said to have been developing one as well. it's an often overlooked area of aero-engine development. Cheers, Andre.

Hi Andre,

By the way, regarding your search for more information on BMW engines, it would be fantastic if there was a far more detailed account of the development of the KommandoGerat engine control system. Likewise, almost nothing is known of the Junkers version of a similar system. Also, Allison were said to have been developing one as well. it's an often overlooked area of aero-engine development. Cheers, Andre.

I believe the origin of the BMW device lies in the development done at Bramo before they merged into BMW, if I remember von Gersdorff et al. ("Deutsche Flugmotore und Strahltriebwerke") correctly.

There is a bit of background on the Jumo device as well in that book, though mostly from a technical perspective. It differed from the BMW device in controlling for constant charge mass instead for constant boost pressure, as the BMW device and conventional boost controls did. This ensured higher power output at higher temperatures, but my impression is that this was made possible by the use of a spin throttle that reduced charge temperatures.

Pratt & Whitney also developed a similar engine control device, which was used for the Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat after the war. However, from reading between the lines, it seems that development was protracted.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

In the pic 4467 the text claims a fuel consumption of 380 g/kwh, this was certainly not the case for cruise flight because long range bombers needed efficient engines. It may be a typo or it is the fuel consumption for peak output with ultra low AF ratio.