Big news - $550,000 USD get a Soviet airforce jet

trajan

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
A few hours ago a well-known, Chinese Weibo user (similar to a Youtube blogger) in the military field posted a statement in which he said that the Kazakhstan Air Force has decided to sell a number of stockpiled airplanes under the name of a private collection, including MIG31, MIG29, SU24, and SU25.These airplanes were originally stockpiled as a provider of spare parts, and that the Kazakhstan military would sell them after remilitarizing and cosmetically restoring them. They will be sold after demilitarization and cosmetic restoration.

The blogger's team has reached an agreement with the Kazakh military to set the price of the item at $550,000 for one aircraft of any type, with a deposit or a large quantity to be accompanied to the airbase for a tour and on-site selection of the planes (there are 117 total planes).
I currently know of three people who have already placed orders.
This may be one of the best post-Cold War opportunities to acquire Soviet military aircraft, provided you can afford it. Maybe some official organizations and universities in some countries would be interested?
I'm rather curious if anyone on this forum is wealthy enough to try to buy one, so I'll post it here for all to see. null-3120fda563691e0f.jpg null-13f7a9a8df0461f1.jpg null152650f80ca82d5.jpg null-706ada767c49648e.jpg

Does demilitarized mean "still flyable, just no radar or weapons systems installed"?

Because if I had a half mil I'd be all over a 2-seat MiG-29. Edit: no, I think I'd buy 2 or 3, for spare parts, and probably 2x extra engines on top of that as well. Plus sponsor a Kazakh instructor pilot and mechanic squad to teach me the fine art of MiG-29.

If they have been stripped of parts, are being demilitarized, and are having only cosmetic work done, are they even flyable? Or are they art installations, something you can park in your back yard as a conversation piece?

Anyone seen anything from the Kazakhstan Air Force on this? Because some random Chinese video mil-blogger doesn't strike me as a totally credible source.

I am not even allowed a shed bigger than 8' X 4' so I am out.

If these jets were being used as a source of spare parts, then that means that they are all non-airworthy. The massive cost of disassembling them and having them shipped by air to their final destination is going to be far more expensive than the purchase price. That is what is going to put off most buyers. Same reason why 2 almost intact Soviet Buran shuttles have been rotting away in Kazakhstan for more than 30 years. Because the shuttles are out in the middle of nowhere with no practical way to transport them, there was never a realistic chance of even a Russian museum being able to acquire them.