Bell Boeing/Agusta Bell AB609 variants

Its so weird to think that the 609 will be old enough to drink this year. Stranger still to consider I was a teenager when it first flew, and that I was lucky enough to live under the route that they flew it during initial flight tests. I remember being so excited, "The Civilian Tiltrotor is finally happening!" And now I'm sitting here 20 years later, hair turning grey, sliding towards middle age, starting on the path towards being a grumpy old man and we're still waiting. Sigh.

Someday.. Maybe..

If @WatcherZero is correct, I suspect that the initial plan is to develop the larger tiltrotor in that there is both civil and military application more so than either the AW-609 or V-280.

Of note that if Bell is partnered again with Leonardo, the contractual agreement prohibiting the miliary sales of AW-609 is possibly void. Of course, Bell may not want the competition in the military market too soon, before FLRAA is in production.

Nobody will buy a 609 if they can have their hands on the mass produced, newer, better field tested 280 for military use.
The 609 will probably stands as a better option for some light military usage, like SAR, enforcement etc, given it being sized for civilian market.
Nobody for example buy a Blackhawk when they can do with a H125 Squirrel instead.