Beech Model 24 Utility/Observation aircraft...

• Thread starter joncarrfarrelly
  • Start date
J

joncarrfarrelly

Designed for Army Air Corps Specification C-143 in December, 1939.
Wright R-760E2.

BEECH24-01.jpg

BEECH24-02.jpg

BEECH24-03.jpg

Cheers, Jon

Interesting, building on the basic Model 17 concept with greatly increased flap area, fixed gear, and a simiplified structure. With the reverse stagger, I can see it working quite well for the intended role.

I've always thought the Staggerwing was one of the more elegant aircraft from that time. What was the aerodynamic/engineering basis of the reverse stagger, anyway?

The designer, Ted Wells, chose the layout for one reason: pilot visibility.
Wells worked for Curtiss-Wright and originated the design in 1931 while working at the Travel Air plant in Wichita.
He showed the concept drawings to Walter Beech who tried to get the C-W brass interested in producing the aircraft, they
refused stating limited demand. Beech and his wife Olive Ann approached Wells with the idea of forming their own company, Wells agreed. In March of 1932 Beech and Wells tendered their resignations to Curtiss-Wright and the Beech Aircraft Company was born on April 19, 1932.

Beech was right and C-W were wrong, there was a demand for a fast, enclosed four-seater.

Cheers, Jon

Stargazer2006 said:
Pics have gone! Any chance to retrieve them?

Sure, I'll fix the links now.

Did you get my PM on the other board re: the MPM Fireball?

joncarrfarrelly said:
Stargazer2006 said:
Pics have gone! Any chance to retrieve them?

Sure, I'll fix the links now.

Did you get my PM on the other board re: the MPM Fireball?

In fact I had not been notified of it. Strange! Thanks for the pointer, I replied there.

This Model 24 is a very little known part of Beechcraft history, all the more so since the designation was later reused for the Sierra. Thanks a lot for sharing!

elmayerle said:
Interesting, building on the basic Model 17 concept with greatly increased flap area, fixed gear, and a simiplified structure. With the reverse stagger, I can see it working quite well for the intended role.
Here, it seemed ! :p

Considering the fact that:

1°) the Beechcraft Model 24 was an early 1939 effort
2°) the wind-tunnel model is labeled "Hi-Lift"
3°) the design sports large wing flaps for STOL capability
4°) the aircraft is described as a liaison/observation type

... I venture to conclude that the type was submitted against the same specification as the Bellanca Model 49-42 (YO-50) and the Ryan Dragonfly (YO-51).

From this we can assume that Design Specification X-143 was related to Circular Proposal CP 39-2.

Designed for Army Air Corps Specification C-143 in December, 1939.
Wright R-760E2.

Cheers, Jon

update to post from 2007 with defunct image links

Attachments

• BEECH24-01.jpg
    BEECH24-01.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 58
  • BEECH24-02.jpg
    BEECH24-02.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 67
  • BEECH24-03.jpg
    BEECH24-03.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 81
Amazing and brilliant find,thank you Jcf.

hesham said:
Amazing and brilliant find,thank you Jcf.

What do you mean? We had these already, hesham (as well as the Staggerwing fighter and the Model 20A). That's what jcf means when he says "update to post from 2007 with defunct image links".

Back
Top Bottom