UAS+Concept+2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
  • FXuDxI4UYAATNdh.jpg
    FXuDxI4UYAATNdh.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 53
  • FXuDxI5VQAI2-Ct.jpg
    FXuDxI5VQAI2-Ct.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 50
The MALE between Taranis and HERTI is probably Mantis.

Colin

Attachments

• mantis-ground-bae-systems_34854.jpg
    mantis-ground-bae-systems_34854.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
I think its Typhoon, Fury, Mantis, Taranis, Sexiest FCAS image they could find..., Phasa 35, UCAS 1, UCAS 2, Tempest..

Given the absence of Replica's silhouette, I'm more inclined to think that the unknown one might be Nightjar rather than FOAS. But it's just an hunch, since we know very little of the program.

Edit:
a bit more on why I think this might be Nightjar.
The graphic is suggestive of the evolution from the capability of a multirole combat aircraft like the Typhoon, passing through several BAE systems UAS and finally culminating into the Tempest at the end.
The line from the Typhoon to the Tempest diverges into several lines, possibly as a nod to the distributed nature of the Future Combat Air System (of which Tempest is just the manned part).
So there would be no need to depict Replica or FOAS, or any other aircraft not involved in the FCAS concept, thus confirming that the graphic is not meant to showcase the various projects BAE has worked on from the Typhoon onwards.
The silhouettes of the various aircraft are more or less chronologically lined up (HERTI 2004-2007, Mantis 2009, Taranis 2010, the unknown one, PHASA-35 2018-2020, UAS 1 2022, UAS 2 2022, Tempest 2035), Around the same time Taranis was being developed, Nightjar was under study as well.

Last edited:
I always thought that Nightjar / Nightjar-2 were risk reduction programs that didn't include actual full-scale flight vehicles. Moreover, they preceeded Taranis (if we keep on timeline chart theory).

I always thought that Nightjar / Nightjar-2 were risk reduction programs that didn't include actual full-scale flight vehicles. Moreover, they preceeded Taranis (if we keep on timeline chart theory).

You are correct. I should have said a "Nightjar" spawn, rather than Nightjar proper.

The aim of the Nightjar programme was to explore the integration of new airframe features, which could be critical for the future of air vehicle design. The programme provided stepped increases in valuable data on issues surrounding design, aerodynamics, manufacturing and in-service performance limits.
Given the scope of the program, with a focus on future aircraft designs, and its sensitive nature, I think something might have been flown to test those features. Taranis might have been the white world version of the test program.

But it's only speculation on my part, so not worth much.

The drone with the meteor missile is rather weird looking. You've to wonder who's designed to carry who b/w the two?!