BAe 146 Developments

There were fire bomber versions of BAe-146 and RJ-85.

Interesting. Are you talking about some early BAe projects or the later conversions?

BAE Systems Regional Aircraft had some input into tanker conversions by third party firms - Air Spray, Conair, Neptune, Tronos, etc.

Interesting. Are you talking about some early BAe projects or the later conversions?
I only seen third party conversions - and some of them have quite extensive changes of basic airframe.
For example, Conair RJ 85 with huge external conformal tanks.
Don't know about BAE/Avro activiteies in designing of tankers of fire bombers - but I'm not competent in this subject.
As a side note, I only now figured out, that BAE 146 and his derivatives have unique engine layout for the civil aircraft. Such combination of high-wing and 4 podded turbojets are coomon for the militarty cargo aircraft, but I couldn't remember any similar civil aircraft.

P.S. Conair company offer impressive virtual tour, demonstrating it's capabilities in firefighting, fleet of aircraft, infrstracture - Virtual hangar

Attachments

• Conair-RJ85-first-flight-BAE-Photo.jpg
    Conair-RJ85-first-flight-BAE-Photo.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Turboprops require structural upgrades on the fuselage to protect vitals during prop failure. They are also too loud for passenger operations in western countries, so cannot imagine they will be popular. People accept the high pitch of jets better.

Turboprops require structural upgrades on the fuselage to protect vitals during prop failure. They are also too loud for passenger operations in western countries, so cannot imagine they will be popular. People accept the high pitch of jets better.
I agree with you about necessary protection of structure for propeller aircraft. Although, we could remember a lot of current turboprop airliners - and propeller noise is acceptable for their service.

There are many, many turboprop high-wing regional airliners in current airline service in the US, Canada, etc.

For example: De Havilland Canada DHC-8. 1,258 built as of March 31, 2019, still in production (Dash 8 Series 100 production ended in 2005, Dash 8 Series 200 & 300 production ended in 2009, Series 400 1983–present).

The ATR 42 is a produced by Franco-Italian manufacturer ATR, produced 1984-present (484 as of October 2020).
The ATR 72 is the enlarged 42, produced from 1988-present (1,000 as of 17 July 2018).

I agree with you about necessary protection of structure for propeller aircraft. Although, we could remember a lot of current turboprop airliners - and propeller noise is acceptable for their service.
Many light turboprops (e.g. Beechcraft King Air) simply have an extra layer of "armor" glued/riveted/bolted to the outside of the fuselage in line with the propeller arcs. Bolts allow this sacrificial layer to be quickly replaced. The primary function is to absorb impacts from ice ice thrown from propellers.

I rode one of the old Lockheed Constellations as a kid. They were noisy. Glad we didnt experience any ice chunks hitting the cabin. I would have never got on another plane! lol