Convair Model 15

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
One of the last Convair airliner projects with airscrews should be the four turboprop-engined Model 15. I saw an artist's impression in the Airliner Tech publication on the Convair Twins, when I visited Ian Allan/MCP store in Hinckley last July. Unfortunately it was too expensive (and many other interesting things were already in my basket), so I renounced. Now I'm looking again for this illustration. Can anybody help (also with a three-view drawing and details/specifications/type of the proposed turboprops)?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.com/Convair-Twins-AirlinerTech-Vol-12/dp/1580070736/ref=sr_1_2/105-8581848-5206803?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194195781&sr=1-2

Interesting book I added to my next order at amazon

The picture from the Veronico & Larkins book is attached.

Jos Heyman

Attachments

• Convair 15.jpg
    Convair 15.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 626
Thanks!

Btw, another book on this topic was published in 1979: Gary Killion's "The Convair Twins 240 to 640" (MacDonald and Jane's, London). At the moment I'll try to borrow a copy from a library - I'll let you know, if it contains further interesting things.

If you get that book could you, please, look for details and a picture of the Convair 240-18. This was the YT-32 bomb aimers trainer which was to have a raised cockpit and a transparent nose. Development was ordered on 28 October 1948 but the project was cancelled on 13 January 1949.

Jos Heyman said:
If you get that book could you, please, look for details and a picture of the Convair 240-18. This was the YT-32 bomb aimers trainer which was to have a raised cockpit and a transparent nose. Development was ordered on 28 October 1948 but the project was cancelled on 13 January 1949.

Jos,

I've bought Killion's book in the meantime. There is a short description of the 240-18 inside, but no illustration - sorry :( .

Convair Model 15 Dart

By 1955 American Airlines were once again knocking on Lockheed’s front door with a new proposal. This time a much larger aircraft was required with a range of 2000 miles and the capacity to carry at least 75 passengers. What American was really saying was, ‘Give us an airplane with these specifications and we’ll buy it!’

This certainly aroused the interest of several manufacturers including Convair. Indeed, the potential of the Allison/Convair-Liner turboprop marriage kept Convair engineers thinking of how they could further profit from the aircraft's basic design. Designers at the Convair plant submitted a proposed turboprop aircraft designated the Model 15, and on January 18, 1955, the company released detail specifications.

Based on the American Airlines needs, the aircraft was a four-engine, pressurized, 60-passenger airliner that was to have an overall length of 95 feet, a cruising speed of 330 m.p.h. and a range of 750 miles. Based loosely on the popular Convair 340 type and with a beefed up maximum take-off weight of 67,900 lbs the Model 15 would have been in direct competition with the Viscount 800 series. Despite its name "Dart" (a company leitmotiv already used for the XF-92A, F-102A and F2Y fighters), the Model 15 would have been equipped with either the Rolls-Royce Dart, the Napier Eland or the Allison 501 engine.

In the end American chose the Lockheed proposal and the Convair Model 15 project was shelved. Convair management's attention was held by its all-jet 880 and 990 designs, and further turboprop development was assigned to Canadair, a subsidiary of Convair's parent company General Dynamics.

Main source:
- The Aussie Airliners website

Attachments

• Convair 15_.jpg
    Convair 15_.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 402
We must merge those topics;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10227.msg95899.html#msg95899