BAC P.45, P.61 & BAC/CAC AA-107 VG Fighter / Strike / Trainer projects

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1964, BA P.45 project. Supersonic Trainer, Strike and Fighter variants were contemplated, and with either 2 x RB.172 (early "Adour") engines or 1x RB.168 Spey already in production, plus various ex-TSR.2 avionic items, it was overall quite possible. With hindsight, however, ex BAe Warton employees believe that VG would have produced unacceptable weight/volume penalties in an aircraft of this size. It was canned in favour of collaboration with France on their ECAT program, which became the Jaguar.

Derek Wood, Project Cancelled
Tony Buttler, British Secret Projects: Jet Bombers

Attachments

• P.45b.jpg
    P.45b.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,723
  • P.45c.jpg
    P.45c.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,606
P.45 pic
P.45 single seat strike fighter (Annals of the Polymorph)

The P.61 was a later development of the design.

Sources:
  • Tony Buttler Secret Projects: Jet Bombers since 1945
  • Derek Wood Project Cancelled

Attachments

• P.45e.jpg
    P.45e.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,449
AA-107 was a derived trainer/light strike aircraft proposed to Australia for co-production.

Source:
  • Tony Buttler Secret Projects: Jet Bombers since 1945

BAC P.45 patent

Attachments

• patents7.png
    patents7.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 360
  • patents6.png
    patents6.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 311
  • patents5.png
    patents5.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 297
  • patents4.png
    patents4.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 301
  • patents3.png
    patents3.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 322
  • patents2.png
    patents2.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 435
  • patents1.png
    patents1.png
    27 KB · Views: 1,067
  • patents8.png
    patents8.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 447
In Roy Braybrooks "Hawk" book, there are two pictures of the CAC AA-107 supersonic
swing wing trainer.
Could post them tomorrow, if I find out, why my scanner is out of action ... ???

It looks like you could get some models out of this. The CAC AA-107 looks like an Alpha Jet, and you could probably go a long way toward a CA-23 by turning a BAC Lightning fuselage on its side. I have a Starfix Alpha Jet around somewhere that's not good for anything else.

Kim M

The BAC project for a light two-seat strike trainer (with which the Australian Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation has been associated) may satisfy a market for up to 1,000 aircraft. Designated AA-107, it will have a variable-geometry wing and weigh between 12,000lb and 15,000lb. It is hoped to market the aircraft for around £500,000.

In Bill Gunstons “Attack Aircraft of the West”, an aircraft called the BAC P.45 is mentioned several times in the Jaguar, and AVFG chapters. It was a VG project, with two Rb.172 (which evolved into the Adour), or single Spey . From what I could understand it was a jaguar type aircraft, in purpose, capability, and size. Does anyone have more information on this project?

Hello
Perhaps I'm wrong but....
BAC Warton works on project P 45 V.G. PLANE
Dassault works on Mirage VG fighter
Together they works on the "AFVG"
(Advanced fighter variable geometry"
Not the same way..no money.. Dassault stop
BAC with German (Panavia) studie and construct
the "Tornado" well know aircraft ?????
Bye

Wasn't the AA-107 related to a Folland project? I want to say the Gnat Mk. 5.

By the way,

the BAC/CAC AA-107 was called at first AC-105 and powered
by one Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca Adour turbofan engine.

I was searching for something else and stumbled on this post.

overscan said:
It is hoped to market the aircraft for around £500,000.

rickshaw said:
Obviously one got real value for money in those days...

500,000 quid in 1969 is equal to 6.4 million today or 10.5 million USD. Which is not far from the cost of a small, lightweight, twin seat fighter trainer without any mission systems today. How can someone miss inflation?

Does somebody have information about dimensions and performance of AA-107 I can not read from pictures, Thank you in advance

Hi,

I spoke before about the BAC/CAC AC-105,an early version of CAC
AA.107,which powered by one Rolls Royce/Turbomeca Adour Turbofan
engine,does anyone know it or has a drawing to it ?.

From Hawk by Roy Braybrook, AA-107 and P.62 - this was a fixed wing version of P.61. Clearly very close to AA-107.

Attachments

• P.62.jpg
    P.62.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • AA-107-drawing.jpg
    AA-107-drawing.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 799
  • AA-107-mockup.jpg
    AA-107-mockup.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 766
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
From Hawk by Roy Braybrook, AA-107 and P.62 - this was a fixed wing version of P.61. Clearly very close to AA-107.

Nice find my dear Paul.

Hi,

here is a wind tunnel Model for BAC P.45.

Samoloty O Zmiennej Geometrii Skrztdel

Attachments

• P.45.png
    P.45.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 351
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
There's no mention of a P.62 in Tony Butler's British Secret Projects Vol 2, although on pgs 175-177. P.60 was an Adour powered study on fixed wing and VG variants, and P.61 was RB.199 powered. The P.62 that you posted appears to have been a low mounted, fixed wing version of the Adour powered P.60? High wing loading by the look of it. Did the book have any more details?