B-29 model

People much better than I, in this case Jim Young, have worked on the B-29 issue on a small scale. Jim’s solution is in my favor with respect to the construction mode. I’ll give you the book as is, however my goal is to offer you shortly (it’s in progress!) my declination to improve its forms !..

B-29 SUCCINCT ELEC.JPG

Here I've assembled all the A3 I've drawn to see the complete fuselage. It's not the truth but near I think ... The airfoil is slimer as real (22% at root) and it's 14%, the upper surface is at the top of the real. It seems the model have more shoulder wings in place medium but with the engines mounted I think in flight the the appearance will be correct.

B-29 1%19 DJ FUSO ASSEMBLE.jpg

Why not just use the extant plans like this one?

Why not just use the extant plans like this one?

Because they are totaly wrong !..

Rather than publish rotten and archinotorious plans from one knows where in Asia, I would have preferred to have been published to me this excellent (but incomplete) original drawing of Boeing factories and found in all the good publications on the subject (including Peter M. Bowers' Boeing B-29 Superfortress. Here YB-29 with three blade propellers 17' diameter instead four blade 16'7" on the serie manufactured) ... ;)
B-29 SCANNE_0004.jpg

I don’t know if I’ve already reported it but the Superfort is for me the ultimate in everything that has been produced as a bomber of all time ! (just tied with the B-36, which I hope we’ll talk about again, but it’s not the same story !). :)

It's curious but it's very difficult to find some doc on the B-50 ... She have'nt the same past as his predecessor B-29 but I remember when I was young a story of a French pilot during a mission titled "Chasseur de typhon" (typhoon hunter on a WB-50) where he said when the plane fought against the wind that superlatives are very important : Superfortress was written and not simply Fortress ... because even with 14000 hp he found the plane very small in front of the anger of the skies.

B-50 weather 5.JPG

It's curious but it's very difficult to find some doc on the B-50 ... She have'nt the same past as his predecessor B-29 but I remember when I was young a story of a French pilot during a mission titled "Chasseur de typhon" (typhoon hunter on a WB-50) where he said when the plane fought against the wind that superlatives are very important : Superfortress was written and not simply Fortress ... because even with 14000 hp he found the plane very small in front of the anger of the skies.

View attachment 689014
Well, if you know what you want on this plane, the Pima Air and Space Museum has a KB-50J tanker version in their collection and that's a day trip to Tucson for me.

View attachment 689014
Well, if you know what you want on this plane, the Pima Air and Space Museum has a KB-50J tanker version in their collection and that's a day trip to Tucson for me.
Thanks ! But I need especially technical and dimensional data to design better contour of fuselage, engine nacelles, etc ... without too much detail for a small-scale flying model witch must be light for good flying ! Much like this excerpt from anoriginal Boeing layout (it seems with the upper turret of B-50D).

B-29PLAN-BOEING-S1.JPG

I skip step B-50 to offer you the XB-54A, the last avatar of the B-29 family. I made this drawing quickly in order to have a better view than what is found on the net hoping to generate modeling vocations for this beautiful bird ;) ... That’s obviously my interpretation, but based on what I found ...

20221218-XB-54 DJ.jpg

To better see the elegance of the lines I did not resist with Paint to take out a complete top view. We can see that this Ultrafortress is a real glider !

20221218-XB-54 DJ dessus comlet.jpg

Hi Tonton,

The B-29 is my favorit plane and I would like to build a 1/14 model.

I am a great fan of the B-29 too, and have had a lot of fun with various flight simulator models of the B-29. One question I was never able to resolve is, where is the tail light of the B-29 located? Even in the drawings in this thread, no tail light is mentioned. For the B-17, I found a drawing by the (model builder) Wylam, dated to 1944, which shows two tail lights right below the rear gun barrels, but his B-29 drawing, which is also posted in this thread, doesn't help me at all.

Should you be able to help me with that old question, that would be very much appreciated! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Tonton,

I am a great fan of the B-29 too, and have had a lot of fun with various flight simulator models of the B-29. One question I was never able to resolve is, where is the tail light of the B-29 located? Even in the drawings in this thread, no tail light is mentioned. For the B-17, I found a drawing by the (model builder) Wylam, dated to 1944, which shows two tail lights right below the rear gun barrels, but his B-29 drawing, which is also posted in this thread, doesn't help me at all.

Should you be able to help me with that old question, that would be very much appreciated! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Good question !!! ;)

Hi Tonton,

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Good question !!! ;)
Thank you very much, I had been looking for that for years! :)

Hi again,

By the way, are you aware of this ongoing "baby" B-29 project (for lack of a better description)?

The builder obviously is a great fan of the plane, too :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi again,

By the way, are you aware of this ongoing "baby" B-29 project (for lack of a better description)?

The builder obviously is a great fan of the plane, too :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Very impressive ! You have to be a big fan to embark on such a project ! Thanks for the info ! If I may make a small criticism, the front compartment is a little disproportionate (I am a manique!) probably to save a little more room for the pilot. In his day the pilots of B-29 said that the Superfort on the ground gave the impression of being driven from the rear seats in a car !.. :)

Tonton Omer