AVIC Blue Whale Tilt Rotor

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Model of Aviation Industries of China (AVIC) consortium Blue Whale Tilt Rotor project on display at the Tianjin International Helicopter Exposition on August 29 - September 1, 2013. The Blue Whale is one of many future rotor projects by the AVIC Helicopter Design Institute expected to appear by 2030.

The Blue Whale is a four-engine quad tilt-rotor concept with a payload of 20 tonnes, a speed of 538 kh/h, a ferry range of 8,016 km and a combat radius of 815 km. It will be a vertical/short take-off or landing (V/STOL)-capable platform with redundant power distribution in the event of engine failure, composite material construction, advanced fly-by-light control systems, and 'intelligent' avionics that reduce pilot workload. The programme is reminiscent of the now dormant US Bell-Boeing V-44 Quad TiltRotor programme - an attempt to develop a V/STOL transport platform of the size and performance of a C-130 fixed-wing transport aircraft. The US project lost favour following weight increases in the new AFVs being planned for the US Army's Future Combat Systems programme, which in turn was cancelled in 2009.

Sources:

Attachments

• 1443655898.jpg
    1443655898.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 20130905085328403.jpg
    20130905085328403.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,062
Hi,

AVIC is one of wild company in China,great find my dear Triton.

Well I'm sure the folks at Bell and Boeing are looking at this with wrinkled foreheads.
Shockingly similar to the original 20t quad tilt rotor they developed.

yasotay said:
Well I'm sure the folks at Bell and Boeing are looking at this with wrinkled foreheads.

Shockingly similar to the Bell X-22 as well.

Interesting document regarding the "Blue Whale" and other technology advancement projects for China.

Attachments

• chinese rotorcraft.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 75
yasotay said:
Interesting document regarding the "Blue Whale" and other technology advancement projects for China.

Interesting document indeed. The statement regarding 20-25 years for Quad Tilt-Rotor to mature at first seemed ridiculous to me, but then I started thinking about the glacial pace at which we now develop anything. I'm firmly convinced we define development goals to reduce risk rather than advance technology.

yasotay said:

Probably wrinkled more in annoyance than in shock, given past history.

F-14D said:
yasotay said:

Interesting document indeed. The statement regarding 20-25 years for Quad Tilt-Rotor to mature at first seemed ridiculous to me, but then I started thinking about the glacial pace at which we now develop anything. I'm firmly convinced we define development goals to reduce risk rather than advance technology.
Bureaucracies do not like risk. That would require the bureaucrats to put themselves at risk. This is the antithesis of what they are about. Trust me I am surrounded by them.

As a chinese, I think we should solve the problem of the aircraft engine at first.
:(

Source:
http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.com/2014/02/chinese-blue-whale-quad-rotor-vertical.html

Attachments

• Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (8).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (8).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (6).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (6).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (1).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (1).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 109
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (3).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (3).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (2).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (2).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (7).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (7).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (4).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (4).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (5).jpg
    Chinese Blue whale Quad Rotor Vertical Takeoff And Landing Aircraft (5).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 377
I am adding this here because I don't want to start a thread on a silly notion. I saw the attached in a Twitter post. It even states it is a fantasy. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a Tilt Rotor program in China, beyond Blue Whale? The one in the attached pictures seems somewhat reminiscent of McDonnell-Douglas efforts before they folded. It seems overly complex as well.

Attachments

• Chinese_Tiltrotor.JPG
    Chinese_Tiltrotor.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 429yfh.jpg
    429yfh.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 184
Another one. Most prob distributed electric propulsion + "auxiliary power unit"

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_000522.jpg
    IMG_20191013_000522.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20191012_153854.jpg
    IMG_20191012_153854.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20191013_000527.jpg
    IMG_20191013_000527.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20191012_153846.jpg
    IMG_20191012_153846.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20191013_000536.jpg
    IMG_20191013_000536.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20191012_153849.jpg
    IMG_20191012_153849.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 129
@Deino - as our resident China military expert, do you see the Chinese government really investing in military grade Tilt Rotor platforms? Given the challenges that have reduced western platforms to two (V-22 and BA609) with the Bell V-280 a possibility, I have to wonder if the central government is willing to make the investment.

@Deino - as our resident China military expert, do you see the Chinese government really investing in military grade Tilt Rotor platforms? Given the challenges that have reduced western platforms to two (V-22 and BA609) with the Bell V-280 a possibility, I have to wonder if the central government is willing to make the investment.

In fact I don't know, but my feeling tells me, they won't. There are several reports about "unique" and "different configuration" rotorcraft concepts but I expect at least for the next generation heavy-lift helicopter still something more traditional. Eventually the nect generation combat helicopter could be a surprise.

But that's more based on what my stomach tells me than on facts, since so far there are none known.

In fact I don't know, but my feeling tells me, they won't. There are several reports about "unique" and "different configuration" rotorcraft concepts but I expect at least for the next generation heavy-lift helicopter still something more traditional. Eventually the nect generation combat helicopter could be a surprise.

But that's more based on what my stomach tells me than on facts, since so far there are none known.
I agree, thank you.