8.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 125
Came across this stuck in my 4th Edition of Jane's Aircraft Recognition Guide, a cutting I made from The Times circa 1999 (must have been around the time of the conclusion of the public hearings) on the proposed Terminal 5 for Heathrow, construction on which didn't actually start until 2002.
This design looks rather more futuristic than the one actually built. Even the 747s outside are history now.

Attachments

• img374.jpg
    img374.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 113
Just hypothetical designs.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 73
The N° 1 is a real project of Vertol (1957)
( Source : Science et Vie 1957)
My dear Richard,

you meant VZ-2,but that's a speculative Project developed from it.

Here is a hypothetical car,could be easy transferred to a flying car.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 92
A strange hypothetical concept.

Attachments

• 1916_Feb13_SanAntonioLight_pg55+copy.jpg
    1916_Feb13_SanAntonioLight_pg55+copy.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 102
A proposal for the Great Thames Barrage from 1903, one of the earlier schemes to provide flood defence and still retain good shipping access on the lower Thames.

Attachments

• Great Thames Barrage Proposal 1903.jpg
    Great Thames Barrage Proposal 1903.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 129
A proposal for the Great Thames Barrage from 1903, one of the earlier schemes to provide flood defence and still retain good shipping access on the lower Thames.

Out of intrest, do you have any more information on that other than the drawing?

Out of intrest, do you have any more information on that other than the drawing?

The detail can be found in the original brochure which has been scanned to Project Gutenberg and which I have now rediscovered to link here:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62224

The detail can be found in the original brochure which has been scanned to Project Gutenberg and which I have now rediscovered to link here:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62224
Thanks

Slightly off-topic, but that aircraft with the 'twin-combine-thresher' whatsits for wings...

I remember standing in our big local park for perhaps half an hour gawping at a 'kite' version of such. Most of the other kites --disks, diamonds, boxes, whatever-- were swooping and sliding all over the sky. One guy had a ex-army box-kite 'train', rated to haul an aerial aloft: It really was a 'sky-hook', clung to the air as if nailed in place. He had it tethered to a hefty 'ground-screw', as used to anchor marquees, large dogs etc.

And then there was this gleeful kid's twin-whatsit, with a significant dihedral, making a surprising amount of noise...

IIRC, it was bought, not DIY...

I like the 1920's vision of 1950's although I would imagine the ventilation of the underground roads would be difficult. I am also having difficulty visualising the spiral escalator.

I like the 1920's vision of 1950's although I would imagine the ventilation of the underground roads would be difficult. I am also having difficulty visualising the spiral escalator.
i know right? it could be possible though.

Just send the "used" stairs straight down a separate chute/track.

Back when I was a child, my mother used to tell us the that had to stop the escalator every few days to clear all the "used" stairs out of the basement.
Hah!
Hah!

I can remember wondering where they went when I was a kid, but I got my question answered when they were doing maintenance on the escalator in C&A and had the door open to the machine room and the curious (in many meaning of the word) six year old I was went to have a look and struck up a conversation with the engineer.

Ali Nuove
Pellerey looks like he was onto something with that ersatz Bird of Prey. Russo's plane looks like a P-80 with swept wings, quite beautiful. Many of the others look somewhere between practical and screwball, but not as prescient as these two.

Not sure what Schittar and Campanelli were thinking; those look like things a high school football coach would draw. The Bonazzo 'helicopter' looks like something one of the football students would draw. Again, futurism is always hit and miss...

From Air Force magazine 1957.

Attachments

• 2-1957.png
    2-1957.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 104
From Flying 1947-5.

Attachments

• 1-1947-5.png
    1-1947-5.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2-1947-5.png
    2-1947-5.png
    531.3 KB · Views: 79
Spiral escalators ?? Curved or full-spirals, they exist; Google is your friend.

I've seen models of several 'off-beat' spiral escalators, ranging from a 'double helix' in contra-flow to one like a fun-fair ride.

Former design resembled the 'double spiral' stairs seen in some grand palaces in Italy, perforce with a fairly large radius to provide the head-room. Upside, reversible, and ample room for elevator shaft(s) in centre. Downside, big footprint...

Latter design did not twirl you, as entire spiral and its steps contra-rotated. You stepped onto a 'wedge' and literally went straight up or down. Upside, remarkably compact, without vertiginous gaze of traditional lonnnnng flight. Down-side, disconcerting as you didn't approach 'straight on', but 360 º radially, think 'revolving door' that you scoot into / out-of when gap comes around. Any mis-step on entry / exit jams the entry gate...