Asymmetric single-blade Sikorsky R-4 details and photos?

ZacYates

LHX SuperTeam fanboy
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ever since I saw a clip in The Chopper*, I've been intrigued by this:

This photo is from the Sikorsky Archives and is all I can find online. It was flight tested in August 1948. Does anyone have any further info about this aircraft, further photos or drawings? If this has been brought up before and I missed it in my search I hope the mods will merge and let me know :)

*see:

Last edited:
This was just a testbed for the counterbalanced single-blade rotor concept when Sikorsky was experimenting with the idea of stowed-rotor V/STOL aircraft (which would be the genesis of the basic S-57 / XV-2 design, before it was submitted as a competitor in the early-50s Army/Air Force Convertiplane Program).

Thanks @Stingray. Are you aware of any drawings or photos of the blade and any changed head/mast etc details?

Afraid not, as I'm having a bit of difficulty researching deeper into it myself, lol. But if I do find anything I'll be sure to share.

I missed your post! Thank you Rei!

I've just emailed the Igor I Sikorsky Historical Archives with a request for info. Terrible time of year to do it, and I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

From Dan Libertino, president of the Igor I. Sikorsky Historical Archives:
Thank you for reaching out to the Sikorsky Historical Archives. Unfortunately we have searched our complete data base for additional information on the counterbalance rotor your refer too with negative results. It appears that this concept was under review by many aviation companies over an approximate 8 year period in the 1950s.
So I guess it's back to google and the SecPro brains trust!

Last edited: