• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sikorsky S-57 (XV-2) single-blade rotor project

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Sikorsky's model history is pretty well known, but the undesignated projects that never left the drawing board do not appear that often.

I have a question concerning something that was called the Skyshark. And no, I didn't mean Douglas here! The name appeared, along with a logo, in Sikorsky's in-house bulletin circa 1971, with no further explanation. I attach the logo for reference. Could it be a naval helicopter project? Or a missile of some kind? I must say I never found anything else on the subject...

Incidentally, I find a reference for an article entitled "The Incredible Skyshark--First Amphibious Jet" in the Apr. 1971 issue of Popular Mechanics. Wonder if this could be related to it?

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Popular Mechanics article here. Doesn't seem to be Sikorsky related.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=qtcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA77&dq=The+Incredible+Skyshark+First+Amphibious+Jet&client=firefox-a#v=onepage&q=The%20Incredible%20Skyshark%20First%20Amphibious%20Jet&f=false

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Didn't know that old Popular Science issues were available on line...

Obviously this Skyshark is NOT a Sikorsky-related design. Sikorsky's Skyshark must have been another project... (unless they provided their engineering experience to the building of the mock-up, but I don't really see this happening, considering they hadn't done flying-boats in three decades!)

Dynoman

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Stargazer, the Skyshark may have been the XV-2 (XH-36) single bladed aircraft, but it was cancelled before any hardware was developed. It was a study project during the Korean War. Cancelled 1960.

Note: Only assumption is that the fixed wing Sky Shark a was a development at the same time as the XV-2. Quite a stretch.

fightingirish

Reaction score
Another picture of the proposed Sikorsky S-57 (XV-2/XH-36)

Source (found by member hesham :) ):
http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=eE-trX3XZawC&pg=PA75&dq=sikorsky+S-57#v=onepage&q=s-57&f=false
Maybe someone can attach a screen shot.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

here is the Sikorsky S-57 with anther Sikorsky projects.

Attachments

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Some data on the S-57 convertiplane project:
It utilises a single-blade counter-balanced rotor to take off as a helicopter. When sufficient forward speed has been built up for the fixed wing to take over, the rotor is stopped and retracted into the top of the fuselage. The S-57 has obvious possibilities as a high-performance tactical strike or reconaissance aircraft. Its power plant is a Pratt & Whitney JT-12 turbojet.
Source: John W.R. Taylor, Helicopters, Ian Allen Ltd, 1960. A 64-page booklet I dug up years ago.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that the following is not exactly in its proper place here, but since it's not MY work I can hardly feature it in the "User artwork" section... and I just couldn't resist sharing it with those who haven't seen it yet!

A very talented Belarussian called Alexander ("slava_trudu" on the What If forum) produced in 2008 this magnificent set of fake illustrations of the XV-2 using a scale model he had built as a basis.

I'm enclosing the photos of his model in this post. More pics in the next...

Attachments

Jos Heyman

Reaction score
Beautiful pics, and I bet you, in 50 years time there will be some historian who will declare them as 'the real thing'.
Oh well, unfortunately I can be fairly sure that I will not be around to correct them at that time.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In 50 years ??! We can be glad, when they not already show up on a site, we can only look
at the pictures, but not read the text. Probably we should add a rule to the forum rules,
saying that all artwork, that could lead to deception has to carry a "FAKE !" watermark ... ;)
A little bit of nitpicking (not too serious !): Perhaps the lights should show a more "dynamic"
flightpath, no so "heli-like" ? ;D

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Fascinating! This looks a lot more like a "Skyshark" than the S-57... (see the first post in this topic).

I've tried to isolate and enlarge that beast:

Attachments

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
A proposal for the DASH requirement?

hesham

Reaction score
hesham said:
Hi,

here is the Sikorsky S-57 with anther Sikorsky projects.
A clearer view;

http://archive.aviationweek.com/search?exactphrase=true&QueryTerm=crane&start=80&rows=20&DocType=Article&Sort=&SortOrder=&startdate=1944-11-27&enddate=1980-10-23&LastViewIssueKey=&LastViewPage=

Attachments