"Astronautics & Aeronautics" AIAA journal ?

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
As said in the tin.

On google books I've find tantalizing glimpses of a (terrific) technical paper, title "Mission to the libration centers"

The exact reference is as follow

H. Hornby and W.H. Allen. Mission to the Libration Centers. Astronautics & Aeronautics, vol.4(7):78–82, 1966.

Ok so my research tells me, the freakkin' thing should be available at the AIAA Magasine archive, right here.

More exactly, here. https://arc.aiaa.org/toc/aiaaj/4/1

Well... no. NOTHING MATCHES. AAARGH. I'm going crazy.

I've tried every single search tip I could think of - such as looking for "nearby" tech papers. Zippo, nada, zilch. Also tried AIAA own search engine with the authors name or paper title - nada.

Seems that AIAA archive is one hell of a mess... and any help would be extremely welcome !!

H. Hornby and W.H. Allen. Mission to the Libration Centers. Astronautics & Aeronautics, vol.4(7):78–82, 1966.

Ok so my research tells me, the freakkin' thing should be available at the AIAA Magasine archive, right here.

"Astronautics & Aeronautics" was a magazine that stopped publishing in 1983; AIAA Journal is, well, a journal of technical papers. Two different entities. If you are lucky, a library near you *might* have a stash of A&A:

Otherwise... there's always eBay. There is currently one issue of A&A from 1966 on Ebay. Not the right issue, though.

...become "Aerospace America"

Our city's BIG Central Library took a most excellent range of mags. Between 'Aerospace America', a raft of Science, Electronics, Computing, Astronomy and Engineering mags, plus literally anything technical I could grok, it would be an intense hour or two before I wandered off to the book shelves...

( IIRC, one of the early planet-formation simulations reported in Icarus spawned what we'd now call 'Hot Jupiters'. Appalled, the authors tweaked their algorithms to exclude such... )

Then the library began culling its subscriptions. Culling, culling, culling...
Game Over.

The Greater St Louis Air & Space Museum has a pretty good run of Aeronautics & Astronautics from 1963 to 1983. I'm not calling it a complete run here yet because I've not checked to see if we have every issue for each year. I've checked and we do have the issue you asked about, Archibald. I've talked with Mark Nankivil and he will make better scans than I can make here then co-ordinate with you sometime next week.

Okay, I have checked and these are the issues of Astronautics & Aeronautics that WE DO NOT HAVE at the Greater St Louis Air & Space Museum. (This list is much shorter and therefore easier to post.)

1963 - 2,3,10,12
1965 - 4,5
1968 - 7,8
1978 - 12
1979 - 12
1980 - 3,12
1982 - 12
1983 - 1,12

We are not set up as a lending library, we want to be seen more as a reference library.

Some context: I'm doing research about libration point rendezvous studies in the Apollo days. EML-1 and EML-2 as alternatives to EOR, Houbolt LOR and Direct Ascent. I've made a list at NASAspaceflight forums.

And the reason why I wanted this peculiar article... Lockheed Agena libration point probe concept, to collect dust from EML-5 Kordylewski cloud(s).

Looks familiar ? Asteroid Retrieval Mission, maybe ? The overall concept is essentially similar. Collecting cosmic dust or rocks for solar system studies.

Many thanks again, folks !

Attachments

• Agena L5.PNG
    Agena L5.PNG
    749.9 KB · Views: 18