Armstrong Whitworth B7/40 High-Speed Bomber Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

in British Spec. B7/40 for high-speed bomber,the Armstrong Whitworth submitted
a proposal,it was twin engined high-mid-wing aircraft with twin tail fin,and tail turret
guns,with retractable landing gear.

The British Aircraft Specifications File

Attachments

• AW.png
    AW.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 744
Is that meant to be a tricycle undercarriage? Must have been almost nothing in that tail as far as weight went...

Hi Hesham

From "British secret projects"
Figthers and bombers 1935-1950
Tony Buttler
Bye

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 634
Kadija_Man said:
Is that meant to be a tricycle undercarriage? Must have been almost nothing in that tail as far as weight went...

Hi Kadija,

the main weight concentrated on the front part of the airplane and specially in fuselage
and the twin engined.

Kadija_Man said:
Must have been almost nothing in that tail as far as weight went...

Proportions aren't too different from the AW Albemarle, I think, which featured a nose whell landing gear, too.

Jemiba said:
Proportions aren't too different from the AW Albemarle, I think, which featured a nose whell landing gear, too.

True, but the Albemarle concentrated its defensive armament much closer to the center of gravity- the only thing in the extreme tail was glazed viewing station. This design places the full weight of a four-gun turret right at the end of a very long fuselage.

I quite like this design in some ways but it looks really tail heavy.

Given they put a heavy manned turret in the tail I suspect the answer would be no but is there any chance of a remotely operated gun installation in the tail?

It appears to be a turret with two guns.

A remote-controlled turret wouldn't be impossible, but I think 1940 is a couple of years ahead of the start of such work in Britain. Certainly by 1942/43 work was underway on such turrets.

Supermarine had tentative designs in place by 1935, in the Type 305, 306 and B.1/35, but they were not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.