The Aero L-39 Albatros light attack variant, L-39-ZA, needs a modification so that it can intercept and shoot down swarms of low-cost drones, like the Shahed-136, which flies at 185 km/h, aiming most carefully by flying at the same speed as the drones while firing its
23mm cannon, which it can do because its stall speed with flaps extended is 158 km/h to 163km/h
L-39 Albatros Pilot Report, by Buck Wyndham, L-39 Instructor Pilot
L-39 Albatros Trainer / Ground Attack Aircraft
But -
quote from
The L-39 website, mostly in Czech, so google-translated into English.
So if I add custom "muzzle brakes" to the twin gun 23m calibre barrels, ejecting the gunshot fumes downwards, that should solve the risk of fumes being sucked into the air intake, allow the automatic block on firing to be safely disengaged, the L-39-ZA to fly slow and shoot at the same time.
View attachment 686491
View attachment 686522
OK, that's the easy part of the design project. What I also want to do is to design an upgrade for L-39 jet trainers to turn them into a ideal, purpose-designed drone hunter-killer aircraft.
View attachment 686490
The L-39-ZA light attack variant's 23mm cannon only carries 150 rounds limiting the number of drones that can be shot down in one sortie but to increase the number of rounds without increasing the weight of ammunition you'd have to use a smaller calibre machine gun and ammunition.
12.7mm or
.50 inch calibre is what most American fighters used in their mostly subsonic dogfights in WW2 so I'm sure that that smaller calibre is plenty powerful enough for range and damage against a slow-flying drone. The 23mm cannon is better for ground strafing but I think it is overkill for shooting down drones. So I'm recommending the .50 Caliber Gatling Gun from General Dynamics, Ordnance and Tactical Systems with 500+ rounds of ammunition and I think I am good for weight.
In this case, to avoid gun fumes being sucked into the jet engine, a muzzle break couldn't be so easily directed to exhaust only downwards because the barrels in a Gatling gun are rotating so the solution I propose is to angle the whole gun downwards at 30 degrees as is routinely done by
the SPPU-22 pods, which are used for other aircraft using the same 23mm cannon as is used in the L-39-ZA for the purposes of strafing ground targets.
View attachment 686398
View attachment 686399
So then you'd need to attach a camera to the gun-sights & fix the gun at a downward angle of ~30° as per the SPPU-22, with multiple advantages -

avoids sucking gun fumes into the engine at low speed

firing down makes the drones a bigger target

both L-39 pilots can be gunners
OK, well I don't do this kind of thing for a living so if there are any professionals or gifted amateurs out there who want to review my design and offer a few pointers, please do.
Catch up with me on Twitter where I am
@SCondista.