Arming a light attack / jet trainer (Aero L-39 Albatros) to intercept & shoot down swarms of low-cost drones

Not much details in what AAMs are being used, and even a relatively cheap AIM-9X is more expensive than a Shaheed.
We (South Africa) wouldn't bother with expensive AIM-9X - more like Mistrals and other VSRAAM types, it can carry a 20mm cannon, and properly a 30mm (with proximity fuzes), if warranted - or our new 20X42mm machine gun (only 13kg - pictured below), slaved to the electro-optical gimbal could be very effective, especially since it's small sized ammo type can be carried in very large amounts in the belly cargo area of Mwari. Alternatively it can carry some pretty powerfull jamming equipment in it's belly cargo area, or on the wings.

Laser guided 70mm FZ 275 rocket, also guided by the designation laser in the electro-optical gimbal could prove to be very effective. There's more, but you get the point..

Attachments

• 1682127_-_main.jpg
    1682127_-_main.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Inkunzi_Strike_400x300_Guy_Martin2.jpg
    Inkunzi_Strike_400x300_Guy_Martin2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5
Is it fast enough to get from wherever it was loitering to where the drones are?

Does it carry sensors to guide the pilot onto the drones from a dist

Is it fast enough to get from wherever it was loitering to where the drones are?

Does it carry sensors to guide the pilot onto the drones from a distance?
We must remember that among the main requirements of the Brazilian Air Force is the interception and air patrol of drug trafficking or illegal flights from the Amazon (which is the size of Europe). In other words, intercept aircraft with flying speeds between 200km/h and 550km/h. In this way, it has a cockpit and displays to act integrated into the vectoring not only on the ground, but integrated into the AEW E-99, receiving and switching mission and visualizing and emulating the rafar signals on its display in the cockpit.

It also organically features the FLIR starfire below and just behind the engine, which automatically tracks targets. It is already an integrated aircraft for operating laser-guided weapons and even NGV. Wanting to improve the already installed Starfire version, it will receive an air and land designation pod just like the F16 in the example I gave. These pods can even replace radars. However, there is also a huge range of radar pods on the market. The cockpit is already designed for this plug and play integration.

As for speed, note that this type of mission is not about advanced positioning within the enemy, but just the opposite, rearguard positioning in the internal defense area of the most probable and critical points. In this position, the plane operates within the area of the internal cone where enemy ammunition and invasions funnel to reach the objective. I even believe that it is possible to develop a capability against cruise missiles given this type of mission and positioning of aircraft.

Maritime Patrol Super Tucano?

That's a very odd idea, definitely thinking outside the box.

I think one of the issues would be the inability to drop a rescue boat like the larger patrol planes can, as that's one of the major missions for MPA in peacetime.
Micro MPA.... I think very interesting....rzrzrz...why not?rzrzrz...very, very low cost...

Maritime Patrol Super Tucano?

That's a very odd idea, definitely thinking outside the box.

I think one of the issues would be the inability to drop a rescue boat like the larger patrol planes can, as that's one of the major missions for MPA in peacetime.
Rescue boat like this?

177003-12490901.webp

A light helicopter will do. Strap a small, modern radar on something like OH-58, several pairs of MANPADS, and go drone hunting.
A similar outfit on a turboprop trainer will also do. Even the tiny airforces have these trainers.

Fennec MASA - the Armée de l'Air solution to kill slow targets. It doesn't carry a gun but a sharpshooter with a gun.

image-1140x629.png

mf-212_1.jpg

Even if real, that's a particularly poor design. Only has enough capacity to lift 2x AAMs.

They'd be much better off using something like a PC12, Super Tucano, or other PT6 powered turboprop, so they actually have a good lift capacity. As aesthically unpleasant as cropdusters are, the Ag Cat version that won the SOCOM Armed Overwatch is probably ideal for the job. 2klbs of sensors, 6klbs of ordnance, and a pretty good fuel capacity.

Even if real, that's a particularly poor design. Only has enough capacity to lift 2x AAMs.

They'd be much better off using something like a PC12, Super Tucano, or other PT6 powered turboprop, so they actually have a good lift capacity. As aesthically unpleasant as cropdusters are, the Ag Cat version that won the SOCOM Armed Overwatch is probably ideal for the job. 2klbs of sensors, 6klbs of ordnance, and a pretty good fuel capacity.
I agree...

Fennec MASA - the Armée de l'Air solution to kill slow targets. It doesn't carry a gun but a sharpshooter with a gun.

We'd probably want something that can tackle fast targets, since that will also be able to taskle slow targets. AA missiles all the way (French have loads of Mistrales in stocks), and an autocannon probably; sniper against aerial targets does not have a lot of appeal IMO, unless these are cooperative - big enough and very slow.

I am very surprised after having discovered the MF-212 armed with R-60s !!!
I understood that the MF-212 belongs to the ultralight category ? So really less than 500kg ? o_O
Fw18l3_WIAA6qXv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom