Any further info about this Alf Faddy project?

BarnOwlLover2

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I found this in a thread talking about the early evolution of the Spitfire to how it got from the Type 224 to the early definitive Merlin powered versions. Alf Faddy was (from what I read) a Supermarine engineer who decided to try and created (as the Spitfire was being looked at for such a role) a long range single seat high performance recon plane that could've been developed into a fighter. From that thread, I found these two photos and info, which isn't much, admittedly. Anyone else have any further info?

1.png

3.png

The simple answer is No. The article was written by Alf Faddy's son and, not surprisingly, is very positive about his work. Although Faddy had been in the aircraft business since the war his experience was not great, a draughtsman in the small team at Parnall, a company which produced a few prototypes but few production aircraft. He joined Supermarine in 1930, part of a recruitment drive initiated by McLean, the boss of both Vickers Aviation and Supermarine. He was nearly ten years older than Supermarine's Chief Designer, Reginald Mitchell.

Each new formal project at Supermarine was assigned a project leader to coordinate the work, and Faddy was fortuitous to be selected to head that for the Spitfire. He was a tough taskmaster and not particularly well liked by some of the younger members of the design team, to who he was 'old Fad' and 'always living in the past'. Like many who were associated with the Spitfire his reputation appears to have been somewhat polished over the years.

So, yes, a senior member of the design department who did much to bring the Spitfire project to fruition and then made ready for production, but not necessarily a proactive 'designer' or 'ideas man'. The sketch shown in the article in Aeroplane really cannot be described as a project, simply a quick schematic sketch typical of the early thoughts on aircraft layouts produced by many in the industry. It is neither an official Supermarine project nor one in embryo, which would have received a TD designation. It certainly cannot be described as 'a design ahead of its time' as there were a great many doodles, sketches, concepts and potential projects produced by the industry at this time and Faddy's drawing does not stand out as anything novel.

Hey @Matt Faddy you seem to have forgotten to add a reply.
Sorry Paul fat thumbs, I posted prematurely, before I had written a response! I am Alf Faddy's grandson and the son of David Faddy who Schneiderman is referring to. He seems to know a lot about my Grandfather and I am genuinely curious to know what research he has done and what his sources are. We as a family feel that Alf and the members of the design team have largely been ignored and not given the credit for the work they deserved so it saddens me to read such a post. Schneiderman clearly has knowledge that we don't and so I would love to hear from him?

Hello Matt. Yes, my research into Supermarine's design department is an ongoing process that commenced over twenty years ago when I was collating information for my book on Schneider Trophy racers. Having noted that there were a great many original blueprints of the company's output in archives, over 60,000, I then expanded the research to cover more of their output, bringing in additional material such as correspondence between former members of the design department. That was then the basis for my second book on the numerous designs, built and unbuilt, produced during the years when Mitchell was in charge. More recently I have had two bookazines published covering the whole of the company's output. Should you have any unseen material you could share we would all be grateful to view it.